EverydayDriver Video

Jayphil

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Of course this is a old BMW chassis and I am pretty sure the new 4 series will take the lead back if you can get away with those new front grills... But even that I sure value wise the Kia will still win because we are comparing 4 cylinders vs 6. KIA/Genesis cannot currently complete with the new BMW I6 B58 engine, I hope the new engine 3.5T will be very good and make its way in the Stinger facelift to reduce the gaps there otherwise 3.3T is too far from B58.

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
Sounded like a resounding win for the Stinger. Power, looks, ride quality and fun factor, all better in the Stinger. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 3.3TT V6. Anything with the B58 in it is a good deal more money than the Stinger.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
Power specs on the 440 is less than the Stinger but they are both rated at 4.7 0-60, equipped similarly to the Stinger it is at least $10k more. The Stinger has been hobbled against sport sedans but it does compete nicely with other GT vehicles. Could KIA tune it to compete better, sure, will they, probably not. The corporate heads might not like that it could eat into G70 sales. I'm sure BMW is making the new 4 GC perform better than the outgoing model. The grill though, it's huge! Curious to see how the upcoming face lifted Stinger and G70 do against their European competitors.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
"Honestly, stop buying SUVs, and get one of these." :D

Silky Silver? That's unexpected, given that there is no Silky Silver option this year. (or did I/we hear wrong?)

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Makes me think Kia could probably follow Audi’s lead and sell a bunch of lifted “Stinger Allroads”. Must admit, that would appeal to me.
?
Please explain.

stingerbeagle

California
It was a half-joke. Audi doesn’t sell the A4 wagon here, but they do have the “A4 Allroad” that is basically the wagon but lifted a couple inches so Americans will buy it. Volvo does the same thing with the S60 “Cross Country”.

SafetyPilotCal

"Honestly, stop buying SUVs, and get one of these." :D

Silky Silver? That's unexpected, given that there is no Silky Silver option this year. (or did I/we hear wrong?)
The Stinger in the video is a 2018 for some odd reason.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
How do you know that? Was that the only year for GT2 in Silky Silver? I recall the 2.0L last year having Silky Silver available; but I don't remember if the GT2 had that color; the GT1 did not. I think.:unsure:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW

SafetyPilotCal

How do you know that? Was that the only year for GT2 in Silky Silver? I recall the 2.0L last year having Silky Silver available; but I don't remember if the GT2 had that color; the GT1 did not. I think.:unsure:
Look at the center console when he has it open, it's a GT2, but has no wireless phone charging.

YEH

Hadn't seen a review from these guys in a while and had forgotten how good they are (compared to many other YT reviewers).

Power specs on the 440 is less than the Stinger but they are both rated at 4.7 0-60, equipped similarly to the Stinger it is at least $10k more. The Stinger has been hobbled against sport sedans but it does compete nicely with other GT vehicles. Could KIA tune it to compete better, sure, will they, probably not. The corporate heads might not like that it could eat into G70 sales. I'm sure BMW is making the new 4 GC perform better than the outgoing model. The grill though, it's huge! Curious to see how the upcoming face lifted Stinger and G70 do against their European competitors.
Considering that the Stinger was the one that launched 1st, don't think G70 sales are really affected by it (at least not anymore than 3ers sales are affected by 4 Series GC sales), and even if that were the case, Kia wouldn't care.

The Stinger needs a power/performance boost to keep up w/ the Series GC and A5/S5 (not taking into account the M or the RS5).

I feel that the Stinger is already powerful enough for its segment. The speed game is broken (blame Tesla). Differentiation happens through other things now.
As sales of the Challenger indicate, can never have enough power.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
Remember, KIA is partly owned by Hyundai, when the Stinger launched, it was said the Genesis guys were upset as the plan was to introduce the G70 first. Not only did they launch it first, they did their first press drive on the Nurburgring, this proved that the car wasn’t just about looks, it also drove and handled well. Not as well as we enthusiasts would like but the potential is there. This car drive on the same chassis as the G70, was tuned by the former head of BMW M division to be a GT car and not a sports car, with the similar parts. Could they tune it better, yes. The question now becomes, what would that cost and would people pay for it with the KIA badge.

I’ve mentioned this since the beginning, they priced the car higher than they initially announced. If the price of entry got more people into it, they could then add more performance and equipment and it would still pull in more sales. We can use the Telluride as an example, it was priced so well, with great materials that people are willing to pay more than sticker to get one. For the Stinger, KIA has to have huge incentives to get them sold. If the Stinger and G70 performed similarly to the 3 and 4 GC M Sport, had the same level of quality materials and quiet interior and both wore the Genesis badge, they could charge more for the Stinger and it would sell. The Stinger fell in that same area as the K900, too expensive for a KIA. This of us that have driven it and know what the competition has on offer, knew that even at full sticker it was a great deal with all that it offered, compared to the cars it was listed as competing with. In addition, seeing as how it could perform better than a lot of them meant, it is a bargain for a GT car.

The question we all want answered for the 2021version, is will it come properly tuned to go against the S5 and 4GC M Sport. Or maybe I’m the only one that is curious about that. The new Sonata and K5 was launched with double pane glass up front to help with noise abatement, the upcoming Stinger should reduce theirs even more to make it compete directly against the Germans. On the other hand, they could offer luxury and sport versions, like the G70 does or at least a sport packaged equipped version that ups the performance for those enthusiasts that want a factory tuned sporty ride. These are just the things I think they could do to make it better. We will have to wait and see if they do that or not.

Spaceme17

I think that video is from 2018 but they just posted it to their YouTube channel. Everyday Driver became part of the MotorTrend and now the only way to see their most current videos is to buy them through sites like Amazon. They do stil post to their YouTube channel but not as much as in the past.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The question we all want answered for the 2021version, is will it come properly tuned to go against the S5 and 4GC M Sport. Or maybe I’m the only one that is curious about that. The new Sonata and K5 was launched with double pane glass up front to help with noise abatement, the upcoming Stinger should reduce theirs even more to make it compete directly against the Germans. On the other hand, they could offer luxury and sport versions, like the G70 does or at least a sport packaged equipped version that ups the performance for those enthusiasts that want a factory tuned sporty ride. These are just the things I think they could do to make it better. We will have to wait and see if they do that or not.
I think that the two Limited GTS runs (Orange and Deep Chroma Blue) are Kia experimenting with exactly that "sport package" approach. If the sales from those 1,600 vehicles amount to a higher, focused interest then expect to see a sport package trim in the future. The GTS approach isn't just for the fun of it. And then, again, perhaps each year Kia will release a Limited run, each one slightly different from the previous ones; and that will answer the amount of interest in a sport package. Future Limited runs might include an engine upgrade and different exhaust, etc.