Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Ethanol Sensor Owners Unite

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by ecko04, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:29 AM.

1. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

How are you achieving E30 (or E50 for CPI users)? I would like to hear from those who are actively calculating what they’re putting in the tank, which would mean you’ve tested the content in some fashion.

I typically run E30 (E85 and 93) mix. I tested the E85 at a local station, and it was E85. I used to use an app to calculate how much I needed based on the tank size (15.9 gallons) to achieve E30.

Little did I know the calculator was flawed, and I was running something closer to E35.

Now I use the Fuel-It Ethanol sensor. With the Fuel-It app, you enter the tank size, as a whole number (16), and it’s capable of spitting out how much ethanol and gasoline is needed to achieve a specific blend. However, it’s also incorrect.

At 1/8 of E30, I decided to fill up. I open the app and calculate how much it claims I need to maintain E30.

9.1 gallons of gas and 5.2 gallons of E85.

[​IMG]

Now, I’ve been using the Fuel-It sensor since late July/early August, so I know the numbers above are incorrect. I’ve gotten pretty good at being able to calculate the difference too. So I add 4.1 gallons of E85, which measured as E85. That brought my ethanol content up to E61.

[​IMG]

I then added 10.5 gallons of 93, which contains up to E10, and once things settled down, I achieved my target mix of E30.

[​IMG]

Why the discrepancy? There are several factors. One is simply that the applications can’t possibly take into account just how much fuel is left in the tank. The fuel gauges themselves are analog. As fuel sloshes, the level changes, and there’s always some fuel left even when you try to run it all the way to empty.

I suppose this is my argument for getting the ethanol sensor. You’d know what’s going to the fuel pump, and it’ll appear in your logs.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM
  2. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

I run e20 all the time so just make the calculation on what i put in the tank not what is already in the tank. I rarely fill up completely because i never know when ill get the urge to go break some records. :)
    I picked up 20 gals of E yesterday and the winter blend dropped to E80 from E85 during summer.
    E80 makes a nice even 3:1 when i blend with pure gas.

3. Whytiptoe

Whytiptoe United States Member

I have been using the Ethanol sensor for only a few weeks, and luckily I have been able to use ecko04 as a resource for getting the correct content. I do agree with him if I followed the recommendations on the app I would have been much higher than the E30 target.

4. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Interesting and know several people with the JB4 that have confirmed its e85 measurements are pretty accurate. Most just use 5g e85 and 10.9g of 93 and stay between 29-32 on the JB4 gauges.

But gotta know why you’re using the WMI/map8 with e30? If you have WMI you don’t also need to run e30. Terry and others confirmed it doesn’t really add any performance gains so curious why you’re doing both?

5. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

Not sure if these people you’re referencing are using an ethanol sensor or whether they’ve measured the ethanol content of the E85 they’re using. If they’re using the virtual sensor, Terry has said that’s inaccurate and the only way of knowing precisely what’s going to the pump is to use a sensor.

Having used that 5 gallon method, I know it to be the case that you’d get something higher 15-20% higher than E30 if using E85 that measures as E85, but shouldn’t get to E40 and therefore should still be fine. Of course if they are using something less than E85, then 5 gallons may be necessary to get to E30.

More octane, better detonation control, greater cooling effect, etc. Running E30 doesn’t cause me to go out of my way to refill. I haven’t been to a dyno recently, but from my conversations with Terry, there’s certainly power to be made by the combination.

As development, and testing continues, we will likely see auto tuning as a function of ethanol content, which would lead to performance gains.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:48 AM
Draft saved Draft deleted