kia stinger store

EPS warning light question

morphrider

Newish Member
Longmont, CO
Have any of you had the EPS warning light pop up? My wife’s 2018 has had it pop on twice while driving. The first time she was able to stop, turn car off, then start and it stayed off for quite a while until last night. She showed me the light and sure enough, after turning it off and starting it, it does go away. I will be calling to get it looked at since we are under warranty with under 9000 miles on this thing. I was just curious if others have had this issue and what the outcome was? I will be posting results as well.

Mods - If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Have any of you had the EPS warning light pop up? My wife’s 2018 has had it pop on twice while driving. The first time she was able to stop, turn car off, then start and it stayed off for quite a while until last night. She showed me the light and sure enough, after turning it off and starting it, it does go away. I will be calling to get it looked at since we are under warranty with under 9000 miles on this thing. I was just curious if others have had this issue and what the outcome was? I will be posting results as well.

Mods - If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate.
Please post a pic of the warning.

I hate to ask, but could you be confusing the lane keep assist light?

morphrider

Newish Member
Longmont, CO
This is the base model, not the GT. It is the red steering wheel with exclamation point to the right of it.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
This is the base model, not the GT. It is the red steering wheel with exclamation point to the right of it.
Dealership trip. They should be able to pull codes if they weren’t cleared… Power steering failure while driving is not fun

morphrider

Newish Member
Longmont, CO
Update....

took it to the dealer, they could not find any codes. In previous issues they have had voltage spikes cause this issue before. The battery ground cable was not tight on the battery, also did not know battery was in the trunk either! All good for now.

morphrider

Newish Member
Longmont, CO
I didn’t. As much time as I have looked at the motor when we first got it, checking for anything out of the ordinary like leaks, belts wearing in funny, etc. it just never dawned on me that there was no battery right in front of my face.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
A bit of a thread bump - anyone else had their EPS light go on (the red steering wheel with an exclamation point)? Driving home today on a straight, minimally bumpy road, I felt a bit of rattling in the engine area with what felt like a thumping, thought maybe I ran over something though didn't feel any sort of impact. The rattling cleared up and the EPS light came on. Lost power steering about a minute later just as I happened to be turning into my driveway. Tried parking and turning the car off/on with no clearance of the light. Checked the battery cable as noted above, seems tight. No signs of impact under the car or fluid leak. Restarted and moved the car off the driveway to the street without the light clearing. Anyone else had anything similar happen?

tmmueller

NC
did you ever get this fixed or figure anything out? just curious.

tmmueller

NC
yes, you Onelota. I guess it was fixed under warranty. that sucks. I need to spend less time in the TSB forum. it makes me paranoid! LOL

OneIota

Sustaining Member
Yea fixed under warranty but who's heard of a new car steering motor going out at 4000 miles. It's undermined my confidence in the car.

tmmueller

NC
I know what you mean. I have a 2019 and was feeling great about it until this HECU recall came out.