kia stinger store

Engine "chugs" in eighth gear, manual gate.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Is it normal to feel the engine give two or three hesitant, gulping "chug" sensations when at c. 2K RPM (79 MPH) you press the accelerator without downshifting? In manual gate, I've never noticed this before. Perhaps I'm asking too much of 8th gear by giving it more gas than it wants at that RPM level? If this isn't a symptom of something more serious developing (drivetrain crap such as I've read about here), I'll just remember to downshift a gear or two from now on: or just stay in 7th gear when in traffic (passing a lot).

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
On the return trip yesterday, I tested for "chugging", and I think that my more confident, aggressive driving habits (now) tax the higher gear I'm in, but only when in Manual Gate and cruise control: I got a "chug" out of 7th gear too, once, thus eliminating my guess that this only happens in 8th gear. I tried WOT during a few quick passes, felt the kickdown switch engage and NAV took off like a shot: I was up to 120-30 MPH in what felt like no time: not the first hint of hesitation. This also bypassed Manual Gate entirely: the trans downshifted from 7th-8th gear to 4th gear instantly without me doing a thing. :D The rare time I used "D" (because I was eating a snack and I never use Manual Gate when I multitask), I never felt any "chugging": of course, the trans downshifts automatically and thus bypasses the silly hairless biped who thinks he can shift by himself better than the car can. :p (No, I did not do any WOT passes while multitasking.)

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
I've only used manual a couple times, and one of them was to engine brake downhill. It's rarely a fleshed out feature (except for track and exotic cars), and being that the auto/D mode shifts intuitively and quick, I'd say the programming just isn't there for how to handle someone trying to flesh out the limits of the car in manual. All the reviews when this car was released through now mirror this conclusion -- just keep it in D/auto.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
being that the auto/D mode shifts intuitively and quick, I'd say the programming just isn't there for how to handle someone trying to flesh out the limits of the car in manual.
Are you suggesting that I have arrived at the point where I could use a "track" car? :D:p

I enjoy being engaged with the machine. While I don't mind an automatic transmission, if the Stinger had come with a manual as an option, that would have been a "must have" for me.

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
Are you suggesting that I have arrived at the point where I could use a "track" car? :D:p

I enjoy being engaged with the machine. While I don't mind an automatic transmission, if the Stinger had come with a manual as an option, that would have been a "must have" for me.
If you're going into manual mode with any frequency, I think the Stinger might have been the less-ideal choice. When I say a few times using manual, I mean it. And I can be a spirited driver at times. It sounds like you're looking for something this car isn't designed to provide.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
If you're going into manual mode with any frequency, I think the Stinger might have been the less-ideal choice. When I say a few times using manual, I mean it. And I can be a spirited driver at times. It sounds like you're looking for something this car isn't designed to provide.
I'm not serious about wanting more of a track car; that was just my way of acknowledging what you are saying about this transmission not keeping up with my development (new demands that I can place on the drivetrain).

But I'm perfectly satisfied to let the auto take over if that happens (as it did in my passes yesterday hitting the kickdown switch). I just wanted to know what was causing this stutter or chugging feeling. And it seems answered by what you said. Thanks for your input. :)

HDTurbo

Saratoga, NY
Whether a true manual or using the manual gate, the driver should be using the gear appropriate for the rpm/speed/conditions. It’s alearning curve. I enjoyed almost 16 years of my LGT wagon and used the manumatic 5EAT a lot for performance and daily driving, including engine braking. Had a neighbor long ago who I would hear getting into 4th uphill by like 20 mph in a Plymouth Cricket…horrible to hear ☹️

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Had a neighbor long ago who I would hear getting into 4th uphill by like 20 mph in a Plymouth Cricket…horrible to hear ☹️
I understand lugging, but this car won't let you do that. "Chugging" is something else going on: it only happens two or three times close together then goes away without any gear change.

HDTurbo

Saratoga, NY
I never want to be responsible for most any kind of -ugging in my car as relates to to performance, well except maybe fugging. Even then the right gear is a requirement to conditionally achieve the desired goal.. But being a sagacious master of the powers that makes things go, you can certainly envision what I’m talking about. Right gear, right speed, right lane, amirite?

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
I just drive around in sport mode all the time, even on the highway. seems like the trans will go to 7th and just hold there. if I use the cruise control, in sports mode, I think it goes into 8th gear, when cruise comes off, it downshifts. I was thinking your chugging was lugging. I think the car lugs a lot in high gear, so I frequently grab the paddle as I don't appreciate how much throttle I need to give it to drop a gear. In comfort mode, even with using the pedal tuner, I still feel like I have to give it more gas than I want to get it to downshift.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Right gear, right speed, right lane, amirite?
Right lane, as in, the one that is open. :D

I just drive around in sport mode all the time, even on the highway. seems like the trans will go to 7th and just hold there. if I use the cruise control, in sports mode, I think it goes into 8th gear, when cruise comes off, it downshifts. I was thinking your chugging was lugging. I think the car lugs a lot in high gear, so I frequently grab the paddle as I don't appreciate how much throttle I need to give it to drop a gear. In comfort mode, even with using the pedal tuner, I still feel like I have to give it more gas than I want to get it to downshift.
This is useful. You grab the left paddle and downshift. I've gotten lazy in manual gate and just given it a little more gas, thus apparently bringing on lug/chug, since in manual gate the trans won't downshift with only a modest press of the go pedal. Once it starts to do that, downshifting will not avoid that episode of lug/chug: you have to power through it.