Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Bad Dulles Kia, VA - Avoid at all costs

Discussion in 'The Stinger Dealership Experience' started by shaggystinger, Jan 15, 2019.

1. shaggystinger

shaggystinger United States Active Member

Let me just start by stating that I've already posted my dealership experience with this dealership 6 months ago and there were mixed reviews. I am compelled to post about them again as this dealership (and KMF) should be avoided at all costs. Here we go:

Bought my Stinger GT1 about 7 months ago and experienced a few headaches dealing with the dealership (bait and switch, lies, license plates etc.). After the hassle of the actual purchase was over I thought my dealings with them would be as well. Boy was I mistaken! I performed a lease buyout a month into my lease. KMF took my money with no issues and cashed that check in a week. It's been 6 months and I still don't have the title. Countless calls to KMF and multiple stories of when and why the title hasn't arrived later I was left with this gem from KMF yesterday "The dealership filled out your title paperwork incorrectly and a duplicate was requested from the DMV. It will be 6 - 8 weeks before the title is sent to your credit union". I have kept my credit union in the loop as they have given me/KMF 90 days from the moment the check was cashed to provide the title. The credit union has informed me that they will grant an extension of 30 days to received the title. I am down to the wire here before they increase my interest rate and payments go up, at which point I will sell the car and wash my hands of all KIA products.

My question to the forum is what do you do in this sort of situation? Lawyers? Tear the dealership a new one? I don't know!

I can't stress enough how incompetent Dulles KIA is, and for that matter KMF. I bought out the lease a month in to the lease and during this whole period no one realized the title paperwork was screwed up. The buying experience was a joke to begin with and now this! Is this how KIA does business!?!

2. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

That sucks man, sorry to hear you are having issues with this, I hope they can get it resolved soon. I would go to the dealer or at least reach out to the GM to have them make this right. When I had an issue with another dealer and got the run around from the sales manager, I went to the top and in days the GM solved it. Was a bit hard to get to him as they kept transferring me and the call got dropped but I persisted and got a manager that had some sense and he got the GM on the line for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

That's what the Stinger VIP line is for. I used the finance with balloon payment, applied my "earnest" money down payment to the first month, waited about 10 days for my account to show up on the Kia Finance web site, sent them a check for the unpaid balance and had my lien release in less than a week. There are a LOT more hurdles to jump when you mess with leasing....and a lot more fees.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Don't know how it works in MD but here in GA, KMF would have nothing to do with the title until it was sent to them by the state. Any delays in that process are the responsibility of the dealer finance department.

There is a person who fills out the paperwork. It is mailed in. The state processes it, then sends the title out to the finance company. It's unlikely that even if it had been sent to KMF, anyone there had put their hands on it - it probably just goes into a file still in the envelope until such time they need to stamp and sign it as paid, and send to the buyer or the state to be cleared of liens.

You have every right to be mad at the dealer. You also have every right to show up and have them hand you the paperwork and go take care of it yourself, although at this point I'm sure they will just tell you it's already been sent in.

In my case, because Kia of Muncie is not set up to deal directly with the state of GA, they mailed me that paperwork, I took it to the DMV, and we handled everything there at the counter in a few minutes. My purchase experience was as excellent as I had expected, which is why I was happy to hop on a 'plane and buy from a dealer 560 miles away from home, then drive it home through the night. I was not going to buy it from a local dealer, based on sales tactics I had experienced during my year-long "wait" for the 2019 model year. My previous three Kia purchases were as excellent but, alas, the guy I bought from had moved on from selling new Kias, or I would have been straight back to him.

5. shaggystinger

Update: Well, this series of crazy events is slowly coming to a close. The credit union's final extension expired this past week and I've been informed no more will be granted. My interest rate has increased to an insane 14% per their policy and the payments have nearly doubled. After calls and going into the dealership, talking to multiple managers, they have admitted their fault in this matter. However, even with them admitting fault, there has been no resolution and no call backs. The last call to KMF resulted in them indicating they had the title but are not authorized to release it or overnight it to me or my credit union. It's too late, all the same. I've given all parties until the beginning of March to figure this out but the car will be sold before the first of these "new" payments is required. I still have some hope the dealership will do the right thing or figure something out but either way, I will never purchase from Dulles KIA ever again and will warn anyone in earshot to do the same.

6. MIGULZZ

MIGULZZ United States Member

contact your states dealer investigators they can advise you and investigate the dealer for any wrongdoings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

I had a very similar paperwork experience with another dealer and KMF, however my title issue was resolved right before the deadline. Out of curiosity, will your credit union lower the rate back to normal once the title is received, or is that a permanent price hike?

8. shaggystinger

According to the credit union, their hands are tied until the title arrives. Called KMF today and was told that the title has been released and will be sent to my credit union on Monday. The delays and general lack of urgency in this issue is beyond infuriating. The dealership has stopped returning my calls and even contacting the general manager directly has yielded nothing. I'm going to try and get this cleared up with the credit union and then report this dealership through all channels available (bbb, etc.). Needless to say this is my first and last Kia.

9. shaggystinger

Final Update: The title finally arrived at my credit union and after talking to the finance manager they lowered my interest rate back to what it was. KMF is telling me the dealership is at fault for this and before they stopped communicating with me, the dealership claimed it was KMF's fault. Last I checked it's all Kia to me. Glad I get to keep this awesome car but Kia needs serious help to be taken seriously in the US market. I haven't even had my first service or recall performed yet but my expectations are extremely low already. There will be no repeat customer here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HaplessMagician

HaplessMagician United States New Member

Wow, that's messed up. I bought my Stinger from the same dealership. It was actually the easiest car deal I've ever made. Hopefully I don't have the paperwork issues that you've had.

11. shaggystinger

I wish you luck! After I thought everything was finally over, I got a letter from the bank this weekend. The "corrected" title was sent to them but it now has the wrong names on it after explicit instructions were sent to both KMF and the dealership on what the title had to say since day one. So I have a trip to the MVA today to correct this and send them the corrected title. This dealership and KMF are a joke. Good luck if you do a lease buyout!

• Like Like x 1
  12. HaplessMagician

HaplessMagician United States New Member

Well, if you want to share your experience with DealerRater.com, that is the site I used to find a salesperson and dealership for getting the car. Hopefully my experience goes fine, but this would definitely make me consider a different dealer if I was still looking.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted