Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Driving Stinger RWD during Winter(Snow)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Marcelo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Marcelo

Marcelo United States Newish Member

Hello All.
    I have a GT2 RWD Stinger with Summer Tires and now I'm moving from Alabama to Illinois.
    Should I go to winter or All season are OK?

Regards

2. brancky3

brancky3 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I prefer a dedicated set of snow tires and a dedicated set of summer tires, but all seasons will be decent enough I think. If you don't mind switching tires out 2x a year then snow tires will be light years ahead of all seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

I love Continental DWS06 Tires. They are the best of all worlds IMO

4. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

For that part of the country with RWD, I would say go with winters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

I'm in the South. Summer Performance tires all year round with no worries.

I watched this video and found it massively helpful for us Southerners, and explaining the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

That first test was me hard on the brake and the car just kept going, into the tree. That was on some All Season tires. I much prefer how the winter tires works in this weather. There is some sacrifice in how it does when the temps gets warm and you have to keep them as it is still winter but it's the best choice for where you are going.

7. brancky3

brancky3 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Lol yep also in the South and it's hilarious how little people know about tires .

8. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

with RWD in Illinois? absolutely winter tires.

9. NismoDPB

NismoDPB United States Member

Easy answer. Winter tires.

10. POS VETT

POS VETT United States Active Member

I assume you want to keep the summer set.

Between all-season and dedicated winter tires, I'd pick winter tires. You are spending money for them, might as well get a specialized set and winter tires are not necessarily more expensive.

Please consider the timing. This is mid February already, there is roughly about 2 months (or maybe even less) for a need for winter tires. When is your move? If it's far enough in the year, you could postpone the purchase until before next winter. Also, winter tires in certain sizes might be unavailable anymore at this late in the season.

11. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

I consider myself a very knowledgeable car person. However when it comes to the snow/ice tire setup I know very little. I just wasn't taught how to properly drive in the snow/ice and had to learn first hand when traveling out west and up north. Needless to say, after 17 years of driving (I started at 15) I can get my RWD GT2 on summer tires around in the snow but it ain't fun, nor easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted