kia stinger store

Drive Modes and Throttle Controllers - Newbie Confusion

Maxmad

Newish Member
I’m new … so please be gentle. Hopefully this is the right place to post this – as I have seen throttle controller discussions in multiple forums.

We have an Australian Stinger GT on the way – so I have been reading endless posts as we wait patiently for the grand arrival. I’ve come from 30 years of manual V8 cars – so a twin turbo V6 auto is a new beast for me. The one thing that I seem to come back to time and time again is the Stinger driving modes … and their relationship with throttle controllers (principally WindBooster).

I feel like I have a rough idea of some of this – but there is so much great info on the forum that I could easily have misinterpreted some of it – so I thought I would put something to the group.

What I am mainly looking for is a mode with instant throttle response, minimal lag, that doesn’t endlessly hold the gears at high RPMs (after a burst of acceleration) and that allows the bimodal exhaust to open up. So I guess my first question is simple – does driving in Sport mode with paddle shifting deliver all of the above … or is there still lag in Sport mode that a throttle controller helps to remove?

I have read that some like to drive in Comfort mode (as it doesn’t hang onto the gears so long) … but use a throttle controller to give that instant throttle response … so is that a way to also achieve what I am after?

I put a simple table together – as a way of asking the forum whether I am on the right track with the interrelationship between drive modes and throttle controllers. The acceleration percentages are made up (just meant to be indicative) – I just want to know if I have understood the principle roughly ok?

Stinger Modes Table1.jpg
When you combine Stinger modes with WindBooster modes – it is almost endless – so the above is just mean to be a simple limited example. If I am vaguely on the right track – it begs the questions as to whether a throttle controller on roughly medium settings gives any benefit over and above a Stinger GT in Sport mode with no throttle controller?

If I take the next step and look at some other nice to haves:
  • not having to set your Stinger drive mode every time you get in
  • having the bi-modals open more often
  • seeing what gear you are in (sorry – a carryover from my manual cars – I just like to know)
  • having the paddle shifting NOT revert to auto shifting (unless you want it to)
– it gives me the picture below (apologies for all the question marks … hopefully experienced members can help me replace some of them with facts):
Stinger Modes Table2.jpg

So – now over to the experts. Where have I misunderstood? What modes do GT owners drive in? Do most use a throttle controller or is that just a minority of owners?

Any input / correction / feedback will be very much appreciated.

killinghall

Sport mode will pretty much give you instant throttle response, and depending on how warm your tyres are, they may even spin on the rear.

I would be interested to know what it is you're doing to want an instant response most/all the time.

System defaults to Comfort mode, unless you were in Eco mode previously, then it defaults to/ stays in Eco. Try Smart mode, it detects your driving pattern and if you'll floor it then it'll bring you to Sport mode. May be a hit and miss.

Bi-modal exhaust opens up in the higher rev ranges so you'd need to get beyond 4,000kms.

You can only see gear numbers in manual mode.

Paddle shifters will shift back to auto at some point irregardless of mode, but Sport will hold it in manual for longer.

I drive in Comfort mode most times, because I bought this car for both comfort and GT factors.

Last edited:

Maxmad

Newish Member
Thanks for the feedback killinghall. Much obliged.

Before deciding on the Stinger - we test drove a Hyundai Sonata N-Line a couple of times ... and even in launch mode it had TERRIBLE lag. Once it got past the lag hole - it threw you back in your seat, but the lag was really offputting.

I come from a manual supercharged V8 - so I'm used to having pretty instant power whenever I want it (no buttons to press, no modes to dial up, no lag - just be in the right gear and away you go). I guess I just want to come as close as I can to my manual V8 response in this twin turbo auto V6. By the sound of things though - Sport mode will deliver that (I just need to paddle shift if I don't like the way it hangs onto a gear).

I think I may have gotten a bit confused by some posts on throttle controllers? Maybe they were from people with the 2.0L engine (presumably that is laggier - and so the throttle controller helps it more?). At the end of the day, I just want instant acceleration without lag - and it sounds like that is what the V6 version in Sport mode delivers.

Before ordering our Stinger - we only had a brief test drive - so I really appreciate your input. I wish I could just jump in it and find the answers myself ... but delivery is still a month or so away.

Maxmad

Newish Member
Absolutely killinghall - that's exactly what I am looking for! You've nailed it. I'm just hoping that I won't have to engage launch control to achieve it (seems that they used launch control on their fastest / no lag run). Is this the kind of take off you get in your orange beast even without launch control? If so - then I am sold!!

I have had launch control in cars in the past - and used it once or twice to see what it was like, but never in day to day driving (due to it being impractical / complex / or me being old and forgeting the steps to achieve it!!). In the Stinger, I just hope to be able to floor it from the lights, no lag, grip up, take off - all without choosing menu options, dialing up modes, timing launches etc ... then settle into a sensible gear to cruise along in once I hit the speed limit (or in that general vicinity ;)).

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Maxmad

Newish Member
And this is what I was talking about with the Sonata. The driver did a great job of launching without too much lag - but the outside view shows best that it obviously struggles to get the boost up and the power down at first ... but then it becomes more of a rocket.
. Check 3m 40s ... it is pulling 0.903G ... versus Stinger at 0.774G. I can only assume that the Stinger pushes you back in your seat just a little more gently ... but keeps you there for the whole ride (versus the Sonata that starts slow and then pulls bigger G's trying to catch up).

At the end of the day - there is no doubt that the Stinger is a vastly superior car (and vastly quicker 0-100 - ESPECIALLY if you don't use launch control in either car) - but I still found it interesting that the little front wheel drive 4 cylinder Sonata could pull 0.9Gs on acceleration. It was not the car for us - but 0.9G is not bad at all (and about the same as a Mustang V8 - so no slouch).

Apologies for anyone that was eating their dinner and feels a little queasy reading about Hyundais in the Stinger forum :). I'll stop now.

killinghall

I've floored it twice without launch control and on both occasions, yes, that is similar to the reaction you see in that video. You'll get pushed back in your seat for sure!

Last edited:

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
And this is what I was talking about with the Sonata. The driver did a great job of launching without too much lag - but the outside view shows best that it obviously struggles to get the boost up and the power down at first ... but then it becomes more of a rocket.
. Check 3m 40s ... it is pulling 0.903G ... versus Stinger at 0.774G. I can only assume that the Stinger pushes you back in your seat just a little more gently ... but keeps you there for the whole ride (versus the Sonata that starts slow and then pulls bigger G's trying to catch up).

At the end of the day - there is no doubt that the Stinger is a vastly superior car (and vastly quicker 0-100 - ESPECIALLY if you don't use launch control in either car) - but I still found it interesting that the little front wheel drive 4 cylinder Sonata could pull 0.9Gs on acceleration. It was not the car for us - but 0.9G is not bad at all (and about the same as a Mustang V8 - so no slouch).

Apologies for anyone that was eating their dinner and feels a little queasy reading about Hyundais in the Stinger forum :). I'll stop now.
EDIT: i just saw the video i think you are talking about where they did a stinger 330i vs a holden... so strange, that one actually got better times to 100k/ quarter mile etc but pulled less g's than their older video.

at 1:59, the same people did the stinger at 1.018g accel.
maybe the .774 is the 4 cylinder?
At the end of the day, without some amazing engineering/help from electric boost, etc a turbo vehicle will just never be as responsive as a NA/or supercharged v8..
With that said, in sport mode the throttle response on the stinger is excellent, but I can still feel the turbos taking a split second to fully give boost.

Last edited:

D.J.

Stinger Enthusiast
At the end of the day, I just want instant acceleration without lag
You are describing more of a non turbocharged car.

If you are driving along at any speed, in any gear, in any mode, with any throttle controller or not - Then floor the accelerator - there will be "SOME" turbo lag. And even more if you add a larger intercooler.
It is the nature of the beast.

chad1064

I put a simple table together – as a way of asking the forum whether I am on the right track with the interrelationship between drive modes and throttle controllers. The acceleration percentages are made up (just meant to be indicative) – I just want to know if I have understood the principle roughly ok?

From my understanding, you are correct. @Maxmad what might help your googling is the phrase "throttle mapping" that comes up with a bunch of graphs etc that show the relationship between accelerator pedal position and throttle %.

Generally when people talk about "lag" as it relates to a turbocharged car, they are talking about the time it takes for the exhaust to build to power the turbo (which in turn builds "boosts" to provide more air to the engine which in turn gives more power). There are factors that contribute to that specific lag, generally turbo size (smaller turbo spools up faster but doesn't provide as much top end power, bigger turbo takes longer to spool up, but generally makes more power), placement of the turbo (look up "hot v" setup vs where the Stinger's turbos are each placed on the outside of the engine), and RPM etc. Throttle mapping can not necessarily get rid of that kind of lag. @D.J. is correct, there is way to totally eliminate that lag (when comparing to a naturally aspirated car).

The lag you might be describing is feeling like the throttle isn't linear; you're pushing the pedal down 50% but not getting 50% power, therefore you add more throttle to try and compensate. This graph (while totally unrelated to the Stinger and it's throttle mapping) I think does a decent job of explaining what (I think at least) you are trying to explain. NA cars with ECO throttle mapping would also experience this kind of lag, but it is more pronounced in a turbo car just by the nature of the beast.

https://www.allfourx4.com.au/WebRoo...log_Images/Throttle_Controllers/LTM-VW-08.jpg

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Maxmad

Newish Member
Thanks to killinghall, vipeboy2000 and D.J. for the feedback. It puts things into perspective (especially that g-force seems to be a very changeable thing from test to test!). The thing that blew me away from some limited test driving of the Stinger, was how effortlessly it put the power down. If I'm in a manual supercharged V8 - I have to CAREFULLY and gradually use the accelerator at first (or it will erupt into wheelspin) - and then on gear changes I have to also take care (more wheel spin 1st to 2nd, and potentially even 2nd - 3rd). I would probably need about 10 attempts in a V8 to get all that power down perfectly and take off optimally ... but in the Stinger it just gripped up and went pretty much every time. Even though there might be slight lag in the Stinger - I feel that it would embarass my V8 on anything but its best day!

Maxmad

Newish Member
chad1064 - thanks for the tips on what to search up. That helps a lot. I definitely did not know the term throttle mapping. I'll do some reading. Your explanations were very clear - and that chart is simple but very informative.

From all you have said - it seems that throttle controllers are not really necessary ... and certainly won't solve turbo lag ... so I look forward to just enjoying the car as it comes (probably in Sport mode, and probably with some paddle shifting - at first anyway as I will miss my manual gearbox).

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
Thanks to killinghall, vipeboy2000 and D.J. for the feedback. It puts things into perspective (especially that g-force seems to be a very changeable thing from test to test!). The thing that blew me away from some limited test driving of the Stinger, was how effortlessly it put the power down. If I'm in a manual supercharged V8 - I have to CAREFULLY and gradually use the accelerator at first (or it will erupt into wheelspin) - and then on gear changes I have to also take care (more wheel spin 1st to 2nd, and potentially even 2nd - 3rd). I would probably need about 10 attempts in a V8 to get all that power down perfectly and take off optimally ... but in the Stinger it just gripped up and went pretty much every time. Even though there might be slight lag in the Stinger - I feel that it would embarass my V8 on anything but its best day!
yes, the thing i really love about the stinger engine is the very broad usable power band. You get very usable torque for pretty much the entire rev range minus the tipity top, and it's very smooth. Effortless is what i'd call it.

SoCalSHO

Diamond Bar, Ca
I use the windbooster. It really changed the way I use the throttle. As an example, if I wanted to go full throttle with the windbooster, I would only need to press the throttle a quarter of the way (that is not an exact figure btw).

I really enjoy driving with the windbooster, I would not drive the car without it now that I use it.

Maxmad

Newish Member
That's interesting SoCalSHO. What mode do your drive your Stinger in (Sport?). What mode / setting do you have your WindBooster on?
Does the WindBooster give a feeling of quicker initial acceleration launch than if you drive the Stinger in Sport mode without the Windbooster?

SoCalSHO

Diamond Bar, Ca
I am generally in sport mode, in the car, i have the windbooster set kinda low, it is either in Race or sport mode(?) or something like that. I have like 40 adjustments. i have the bluetooth model, the GT. It has the dash controller and phone app. I had to turn it down to like level 4 out of 10, there was some crazy, sensitive acceleration when on the higher numbers.

I always thought that i can just press the throttle all the way if I wanted, and it would be the same thing, but it is different. I "feel" as though my acceleration is faster, but I realize it does not have any way to do that, it is not a tuner. It just plugs into the throttle.

Maxmad

Newish Member
I'm really intrigued by these throttle controllers. So many people without them say that they do nothing that your right foot can't do, but then so many people with them say it feels like it does much more than that.

In Australia they are $269 to buy ... which is very cheap if it gives a noticeable improvement in feel (but very expensive if it doesn't). I guess the only way to know is to pay the $$ (or talk to owners like you SoCalSHO!)

AusStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to say, but you're in for a BIG disappointment coming from a supercharged V8 manual to a Stinger if throttle response and immediate torque is what you're after.

Maxmad

Newish Member
You are probably not wrong AusStinger ... but the bit I left out of my posts is that the Stinger is to replace my wife's 9 year old 2.5L Mazda 3 sedan (written off by a drunk P-Plater who was texting and ran into it at about 80km/hr ... while it was parked!). So no matter what - I am in for a VAST improvement over her Mazda 3 (even if it is not quite 435kw supercharged V8 level). :)

At the end of the day - I'm just trying to get the Stinger to be more supercharged V8-like ... than Mazda 3-like, so if anyone has hints and tips to narrow the gap to the V8 - then I am all ears!

Last edited:

Maxmad

Newish Member
Also - thanks to everyone who replied with thoughts / ideas / opinions. I was a bit tentative when I was putting my first post in the group - but you guys have been amazing and so welcoming. I hope to be able to pay that back in the future with someone even newer than me (if that's possible) ... if I ever learn something that might be able to help someone else that is.