Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Drip rails on roof paint issue

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by bsomedic, Oct 15, 2019.

1. bsomedic

bsomedic United States Newish Member

Looking for some opinions here. I've searched the forum and I do not find anything that lines up with the same problem I'm having. I have a 2018 HiChroma Red. As you can see in the pictures the paint on the drip rails is cracking/crazing. Initially I thought that the dealer did not remove the protective vinyl was not removed by the dealer. Before I do anything does anyone know what is causing this? IMG_20191013_134644.jpg

2. Rob M

Rob M United States Active Member

Discussion of Stinger paint quality (Was - Paint Chip Issue)

Look at posts #2801 and #2820 in the above discussion for examples. It is a fairly common issue. Most likely a combination of paint/clearcoat defect on these plastic pieces which have then succumbed to UV exposure. I've seen it on other cars as well, but not typically on vehicles that are so new.

Simply take it back to a Kia dealer and get them to replace the pieces.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. G-275488

G-275488 Guest

I have a 2018 GT Ceramic Silver. Roof rails are doing the same thing. Paint cracking very prematurely. For all the hype associated with this car. Paint should not be an issue

4. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

My dealer has been trying to figure out how to fix this for the past 5 weeks.
    They have new strips from Kia, but they're only provided in black. They have a rubber-like surface, so the body shop refused to paint it. Supposedly the service tech is trying to get info from Kia on how they are supposed to be prepped and painted.......

5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Why not wrap them? If they went crazed once they'll likely do it again. So try some other approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted