kia stinger store

Door Frame Ticking / Squeaking Elimination

drksyd

Hi!.... recently purchased a 2022 GT2 AWD Stinger Scorpion in AUG. I wanted to thank people on this thread as I always default to car threads for sharing knowledge vs. dealerships that don't always care or brush you aside because of corporate. I also prefer to fix things myself if possible (outside definite warranty things), it's my car. Anyway, I already put an AEM intake on, windows tinted, ARK mid pipes in,....waiting for my MBRP cat back to come...got a good deal online for the 304 model. Wired a radar detector in using a Blend Mount bracket, and that's about it....

But, holy annoying cracking/popping/sticking noise! Since day one, it was right in my ear on the driver's side, and could hear it on the passenger side at some location. Thought it was because we're seeing 90+ with high humidity in WI right now, new car, weather stripping needs to conform etc.

Naw, I pulled all four door trims off as previous posts suggest, lined with felt tape for electrical wire etc. Took a spin without reinstalling those four pieces, some random "creaks?" were gone, but the annoying one still present.

4am today, pulled the seals, panels off to get my hands into the headliner (note for others...obvious step, but unscrew the OSH's to get in there). What I didn't see mentioned here, might have missed it....KIA sprayed glued on those backing-plastic pieces for the Oh SH** handles. It took a bit of force to remove, but they were glued on, with spray glue I would assume (to assist with placing them and then someone getting headliner in down the assembly line).

Makes sense for the noise, heat warms the glue, then makes "popping" noises" when driven ...as it can't harden until cool.

NTL, I wrapped those four OSH with that same tape, added tape to the foam blocks that were mentioned just in case, added tape the the body of all doors that the four trim pieces cover, to assist with the tape on the pieces themselves. Also, suggest taping the two white portions at the top of the B pillar that just slip into the body of the car. Hard plastic on metal otherwise.

Car sat in the sun all morning after I completed everything. Took it on a longer trip, to various places. NO NOISE!

Only thing I heard, was one random noise from under front dash, while driving directly into the sun. It now feels like the car it should be, noise-wise, before the cat back?

Thank you all for making it easy for people that come from Type R's (who cares about noise?), to the Stinger platform. The car is a beast otherwise, and cools my a** if needed?

Last edited:

TheAlien666

I'm not trying to do all that and likely void my warranty should any real serious issues occur.
Adding a catback exhaust doesn’t void the warranty as long as the catalytic converters are still in place, which they are.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

drksyd

Adding a catback exhaust doesn’t void the warranty as long as the catalytic converters are still in place, which they are.
Agree, and even if a mod was done, they have to prove it was the cause of a failure. Too many people mistake the secondary mid pipes with the primary cats ntl.

Jaxh4x

Do you think the dealership would wrap all 4 OSH backing plates. I was about to start pulling off the covers to try and get to them but I feel like I'm gonna break something lol.

washere

SoCal
Do you think the dealership would wrap all 4 OSH backing plates. I was about to start pulling off the covers to try and get to them but I feel like I'm gonna break something lol.
It isn't that hard. I doubt they will do it, but you can try?

DougWilsonsSlapper

Newish Member
Ugh... This thread got me curious about the actual build date on mine. Called up service and was told 6/9/2021. Said the TSB applies to earlier vehicles and mine isn't part of that [yet]. We'll see.

Never had door panels break on me. Did have a hood latch striker plate crack in my camaro.

The current chip shortage mitigation actions is curious. What problems will result when ecu's are dealer installed rather than production line installed. The manufacturing process has now been altered and may lead to [un]foreseen complications.

View attachment 62222
Which TSB are you referring to here?