kia stinger store

Door Frame Ticking / Squeaking Elimination

JeffK67

Newish Member
I have a ‘22 GT2.. same annoying ticking you all have described. Glad to find this forum with the solution. Will try it this weekend. I had a 2018 GT2 and didn’t have the problem so it’s was a surprise to notice at just a few hundred miles after purchase. Question about the “backing plate” that a couple if you have covered in hockey tape. Where is that backing plate? Is it located at the grab handle? Does the grab handle have to by removed to get to the backing plate?

washere

SoCal
I have a ‘22 GT2.. same annoying ticking you all have described. Glad to find this forum with the solution. Will try it this weekend. I had a 2018 GT2 and didn’t have the problem so it’s was a surprise to notice at just a few hundred miles after purchase. Question about the “backing plate” that a couple if you have covered in hockey tape. Where is that backing plate? Is it located at the grab handle? Does the grab handle have to by removed to get to the backing plate?
Yes. It is between the headliner and the roof. It is the part that the OSH connects to inside the headliner.

I've started to hear a ticking noise in the headliner on the drive's side above my head right next to the overhead handle. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is starting to annoy me. If I press against the headliner with my hand the noise goes away. Probably going to have the dealer take a look at it during my first service visit and if that doesn't fix it, start looking into some of the solutions posted here.

I also get the tailgate rattle but only when going over pretty big bumps and it is just one time while going over the bump, so it hasn't bothered me that much yet.

washere

SoCal
I've started to hear a ticking noise in the headliner on the drive's side above my head right next to the overhead handle. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is starting to annoy me. If I press against the headliner with my hand the noise goes away. Probably going to have the dealer take a look at it during my first service visit and if that doesn't fix it, start looking into some of the solutions posted here.

I also get the tailgate rattle but only when going over pretty big bumps and it is just one time while going over the bump, so it hasn't bothered me that much yet.
It’s likely when the roof gets hot. If so follow the directions to wrap the oh shit handle bar under the headliner. It will solve it.

washere

SoCal
I was installing the lighted door sills today, so I went ahead and did all 4 doors just so I don't have a problem later.

washere

SoCal
Hi all, I am a bit stuck. Anyone who has to done the headliner repair remember how to get the seatbelt adjustment piece back in correctly? I am putting everything back together, and the seatbelt adjusters are not meshing correctly. They will go on, but the belt adjuster just gets stuck in place. Its hard to see what is going on inside there, so I am not exactly sure how it is supposed to operate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I separated the two B-pilar trim pieces and it all became much easier. Somehow it just clicked into place. The car is almost completely back together now.

Last edited:

zsoltc

Newish Member
MI
Hi all, I am a bit stuck. Anyone who has to done the headliner repair remember how to get the seatbelt adjustment piece back in correctly? I am putting everything back together, and the seatbelt adjusters are not meshing correctly. They will go on, but the belt adjuster just gets stuck in place. Its hard to see what is going on inside there, so I am not exactly sure how it is supposed to operate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I separated the two B-pilar trim pieces and it all became much easier. Somehow it just clicked into place. The car is almost completely back together now.
I had the same issue, first try did not work, it got stuck. I just tried to eye it, slide the adjuster roughly to the same level where the actual seat belt is. If I recall correctly, the headline remover manual instructs to remove the lower piece and then the upper one. Makes life easier :)

JamesNoBrakes

North
My BMW 4-series GC did this over any significant bump. It was annoying as hell.

JeffK67

Newish Member
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone! I was able to wrap the backing plates of the two front grab handles and the noise went completely away on my new '22 GT2. Thanks!
Good deal! Kinda ridiculous that you have to do that with a brand new $55k car!

washere

SoCal
Good deal! Kinda ridiculous that you have to do that with a brand new $55k car!
I feel the same way, but I did it, and now it is quiet. I am turning my attention to the hatch that has some noise issues. But its in the shop now for a bad HUD that was given to me bad from day 1.