Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Door Frame Ticking / Squeaking Elimination

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by corradoMR2, Feb 6, 2018.

1. D.J.

D.J. Canada Member

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Fantastic info about common rattles and aggravations and real-world solutions.

What's the deal with the spark plugs and transmission, though? Those are very serious mechanical issues for a brand new car. I would demand an unlimited warranty extension or get them to give you a different vehicle. Did the car have close to zero km on it when you got it? It was either abused or you got a lemon from the factory.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Bat_Dad

Bat_Dad Australia New Member

They’re trying to tell me I had water in my fuel which is why the spark plugs have gone like that. They have sent the fuel away to be analysed which will take a couple more weeks to come back.

It is going in tomorrow for the transmission problem so hopefully they will have an answer soon.

The car only had 23km on it when I picked it up and was running perfectly up until about 2500km. All stock, no tunes.

I will keep you posted.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. UWMad

UWMad United States Member

What was your transmission doing? I've been trying to figure out what my issue is and now that you mentioned this...that might be mine as well. After sitting over night or during the day at work...when I start it up and start to drive/turn...it feels like tires have flat spots or something is jerking. Once I get going, it goes away. Was going to let the dealer have it overnight and let them figure it out.

5. Bat_Dad

Unfortunately mines not isolated to cold starts, it is constant. It feels like something is slipping in the transmission. It happens in all drive modes and at all levels of acceleration, but is more noticeable with moderate to heavy acceleration. At its worst it feels like it drops down a gear, the revs hit the red line, but you don’t go anywhere, then something kicks in and it takes off. At the same time it started making a clunk when changing from park to reverse to drive and any combination of that. It also now takes a couple of seconds to go into drive. It’s not throwing any codes either so to the new age mechanic if there’s no code there’s no problem started doing it at about 2500km and it progressively getting worse.

6. UWMad

UWMad United States Member

Nope...that's not the same. thanks!

7. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

That's bloody awful I'd be screaming new car from them if they don't get to the bottom of it pretty damn quick. Good luck

8. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

Aww, man, I was waiting for the double-sided foam fix for this too. ;)

9. Snatchell

Snatchell United States Member

I have seen a few members mention Shin Etsu silicone grease to fix squeaks. I gotta say it did wonders for my sunroof noises. All I did was slather it on my rubber seals for sunroof and all other rubber seals I could find on the Stinger and it's very quiet now everywhere. No creaks, squeaks, rattles or any other noises... except wind...

I think Shin Etsu is the answer vs the thinner sprays. Shin Etsu was designed for the weather seals for the Honda Del Sol (we have a Silver 1996 Del Sol) to stop leaks that were common around the targa top. This stuff is great. It also works well on all rubber trim. Softens it up and makes it swell back to original plumpness. Our Del Sol has zero leaks.

Here's the link. Use it on all rubber... :) within reason.
    https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bat_Dad

Haha, if only it was that simple. Although wouldn’t put it past my local dealer to try it.

Vehicle is currently with the dealer and they have finally admitted to seeing this problem before with the early Stinger and it was a solenoid valve. They replaced the solenoid valve and haven’t seen any problems since.

They have sent the flight graph data from my car to Kia and are awaiting a response from them, but that’s what they are thinking.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  11. TJH

TJH Singapore Member

BarryT, is your fix still working?

12. BarryT

BarryT Australia Newish Member

Yes, I have been tickless for over a week now! So, for me it was that little bit of foam causing the grief!

13. Marc Collins

Wow....just like the 59-cent washers for the rear hatch. Please let us know if you perceive any problems due to the absence of the foam piece. We can then decide to either rip it out and remove like you did or to remove it, put the special tape on it and replace. Of course, I am suspicious that it has no value to be in there...I don't think KIA is that incompetent, but I am willing to be surprised ;)

14. TJH

TJH Singapore Member

Glad to hear that! Please keep us posted.

15. BarryT

I really can't see a point to it. Unless over time the headliner shifts up by itself. When I can be bothered I might take a peek on the driver side to see if it exists there. The foam looks like a piece of packing foam, nothing special, rather cheap actually.

16. Marc Collins

I thought you said way back at the outset that it did not exist on the driver's side?

This is of course interesting for those of us who drive on the other side. I can only say that with a left-hand drive vehicle I perceive the ticking coming from the sunroof and/or the passenger-side grip handle area...which is your driver's side unless the two variations have different headliners and associated bits and pieces...?

17. BarryT

Yeah, sorry for confusion. There is no noise on driver (right) side. I was just curious as to whether the piece of foam is on both sides or not.
    So i was same as you, ticking on the passenger side, my left, where the grab handle is.

18. Marc Collins

Except mine is on the right. So in both cases it is on the passenger side, though...

My current biggest problem is that the constant ticking I now get is related to the sunroof fabric panel cover. If the cover is closed, silence. If it is open, constant ticking from what seems like all around the perimeter of the roof opening. I am willing to try to figure-out if some of the noise is coming from the grab handle area, but there is definitely ticking all around. I believe that I have had a separate noise coming from the grab handle area--but that is affected by temperature change after the car has been out in the sun and everything is hot. Since it is winter here, I haven't heard that one for a while.

19. BarryT

Driver side picture showing a gap betwen foam and body which explains why no tick from driver side.!

Attached Files:

20. Marc Collins

Interesting. So maybe taping the side that rubs would do the trick?

Draft saved Draft deleted