Do the Daylight Running Lights (DRL) remain on regardless of any headlamp setting or (low enough) world lights? (eg: dusk, night time)

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
Do the Daylight Running Lights (DRL) remain on regardless of any headlamp setting or (low enough) world lights (eg: dusk, night time)? They simply look cool, so I'm hoping they're on whenever the car is running (or at least when not in park and instead is in a D/N/R gear).

Please note this is an Australian MY20 Stinger GT (in case it varies from country/trim to country/trim).

The manual makes it sound like DRL turn off when in Auto mode (as opposed to 'low beam' setting) when the sensors determine it's low enough to trigger the low beam headlamps. Can't test this as the manual also states DRL turn off when parked, so it's clear I shouldn't leave it in a non-P gear to get outside and use my eyeballs to check! (Else I'd begin a comical running after my moving vehicle down the road)

An odd question I know, but I'm an odd person.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Soooo. Ummmm. You don’t know a single person that you could drive by to confirm for you?
743E751D-45EE-4D37-916D-86B3D1032A0F.jpeg

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
Not at 01:30 (AM)! ;)

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Auto hold is your friend. Also, you could pull up in front of a plate glass window and look at yourself.

In "Auto" setting, the DRLs are ON when driving. Why would they go OFF when the light sensor turns the low beam headlights on? Every Stinger I've seen with headlights on also has the DRLs on.

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
Auto hold is your friend. Also, you could pull up in front of a plate glass window and look at yourself.

In "Auto" setting, the DRLs are ON when driving. Why would they go OFF when the light sensor turns the low beam headlights on? Every Stinger I've seen with headlights on also has the DRLs on.
Auto hold won't work like that, if you open the door it will put the car into park. They don't want people engaging it and then getting out of the car. A good thing IMO.

From my understanding the off setting actually says DRL OFF so it turns everything off. Any other mode the DRL's should be on, they're part of the headlight they won't turn off when the low beams come on.

SafetyPilotCal

I'm 99% sure that the DRL strips are on, but dim way down at night. If the stalk is in the "OFF" position, the DRLs do not come on in the US. In Canada and maybe some other countries I assume the DRLs cannot be disabled.

In the daytime, when the stalk is in "AUTO" mode, the DRLs come on whenever the parking brake is disengaged.

For what it's worth, in a GT2, opening the door puts the car into park. I have no idea what happens in a GT/GT1.

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia

You sir, are a genius. Like on a Bond-villain level!

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Auto hold won't work like that, if you open the door it will put the car into park. They don't want people engaging it and then getting out of the car. A good thing IMO.
Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting that the GT2 works differently than the other GT trims. Well, the plate glass window thing works with any car. :p:D

Last edited:

DevLF

San Diego, CA
The DRL stay on in auto during day time (at least in my experience on a US Model). IIRC it changes for Canada and potentially other countries models. You can however disable them by turning the headlight stock to off