kia stinger store

Do Stinger’s hold up high mileage wise? I drive 60k a year and try to hold on to cars for 7 years.

Herbert

Newish Member
Honda’s and Toyota’s i am a stickler for fluid maintenance being done on time, even before time sometimes. And also believe in a gentle break in period….

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
It's hard to guarantee any vehicle will make 400,000+ miles. Even most Hondas and Toyotas have issues after 250,000.

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
In my opinion, I think you'd be best off with a diesel. I find that typically diesel engines will last longer than gas engines for high mileage before needing significant maintenance. If you're aiming more for a gas engine, remember that the 2.0, 2.5 and 3.3 are both turbocharged direct injection. Any of these will need periodic carbon cleaning, and I just can't see a modern engine going all the way to 400,000 miles without needing new turbos, or more.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
In my opinion, I think you'd be best off with a diesel. I find that typically diesel engines will last longer than gas engines for high mileage before needing significant maintenance. If you're aiming more for a gas engine, remember that the 2.0, 2.5 and 3.3 are both turbocharged direct injection. Any of these will need periodic carbon cleaning, and I just can't see a modern engine going all the way to 400,000 miles without needing new turbos, or more.
Are diesel stingers even available in the US?

STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
Bahrain
3k engine oil change, 30k trans + diff oil change, air filter cleaned/changed regularly and carbon cleaning preferably walnut blast every 80-100k, the car should last no problem. Turbos typically last 150-200k depending on how hard you are on the car, if tuned it will be significantly less.

Ohiocruiser

3k engine oil change, 30k trans + diff oil change, air filter cleaned/changed regularly and carbon cleaning preferably walnut blast every 80-100k, the car should last no problem. Turbos typically last 150-200k depending on how hard you are on the car, if tuned it will be significantly less.
I doubt you can get 150-200 out of turbos. Replacing those looks like major pita.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
We had a diesel Peugeot; the engine was great; the electrics in that car were so screwed up.
I doubt you can get 150-200 out of turbos. Replacing those looks like major pita.
Wouldn't that largely depend on how often you engage them, and how hard?

I don't think that it is even realistic to ask the OP question about a turbo-charged car that hasn't been out four years yet. I have only read of one breaking 100K so far; there are of course more, but none "advertised" (yet) on the forum. By all indicators this car is going to be reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles; how many hundreds is the unanswerable question: and certainly not without replacement of this, that or the other thing, as with all cars that turn high miles. If turbos and other doodads are more of a future replacement/maintenance concern than having fun romping on it, then this isn't the car for you.

Ohiocruiser

We had a diesel Peugeot; the engine was great; the electrics in that car were so screwed up.

Wouldn't that largely depend on how often you engage them, and how hard?

I don't think that it is even realistic to ask the OP question about a turbo-charged car that hasn't been out four years yet. I have only read of one breaking 100K so far; there are of course more, but none "advertised" (yet) on the forum. By all indicators this car is going to be reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles; how many hundreds is the unanswerable question: and certainly not without replacement of this, that or the other thing, as with all cars that turn high miles. If turbos and other doodads are more of a future replacement/maintenance concern than having fun romping on it, then this isn't the car for you.
I don't think the turbos on stinger are something special. And due to its small size they are working a lot. Of course if you dont push them to the limits all the time, and change oil more frequently they will last longer. But still i expect them to fail after 100k. Also what indicators do you see, that is pointing to hunderds of thousands reliable miles?? Just curious.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Also what indicators do you see, that is pointing to hunderds of thousands reliable miles?? Just curious.
Kia vehicles go well past 200K miles. Why would the Stinger be an outlier?

Chark

I currently have a 2012 Optima EX with 132,500 miles. It's currently at the dealership due to an engine failure. It died without warning and would not restart. Kia/Hyundai voluntarily accepted an $800 million settlement for the GDI engines and the result is that I will get a brand new engine at no cost that is warranted as long as I own the vehicle. That is a commitment to their customers that says emphatically they stand behind their products. I don't think there are too many other examples from other manufacturers. I still like my Optima and it still looks practically new. Everything works and up until the moment it died, it ran flawlessly. I've always used synthetic oil and changed it around 7,500 mile intervals. Sound like you will be even more diligent. My wife's 2016 Sedona EX has 96,000 miles on it. We drive that thing everywhere and it also runs flawlessly. Hope this helps. Just waiting until the 2022 GT-lines come back slightly used, not that it isn't a good value already.

Flameangel

2500 Posts Club!
Geelong, Victoria
Kia vehicles go well past 200K miles. Why would the Stinger be an outlier?
Spot on, our little Cerato hatch has done just over 222000 kms with no issues.
Hopefully Sonic will prove just as reliable in the future.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I really hope you are right. I love my stinger, but i will be surprisingly shocked to see 150k miles without major (<$1000) problems from this pretty complex vehicle.
It's an odds game, certainly: with individual vehicles failing, but the mass pressing on to over 200K miles with minimal expense. The complexity concerns me as well: but that Kia would push a 100K miles / ten years warranty says a lot about their confidence in their automobiles and their commitment.

CeeDaRula

Newish Member
Califorina
Umm, pretty sure the transmission is sealed.