1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Didnt know about the wipers.

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by mcemc, Nov 15, 2018.

1. mcemc

mcemc United States Member

Man I didnt know about the windshield wipers when I took it to get detailed. Got in the car and noticed a long scuff and paint missing on the edge of my hood. I take it the guy pulled up on the wiper and caught the hood real good and hoped I didnt notice.
    Detail shop said they would take care of it thank god. But will have to remember this for when I fool with the wipers.

Is it just a retouch or does the whole hood have to be redone if anyone know.

2. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

3. Chyoon

Chyoon United States Active Member

I just realized this too.. I'm pretty sure the bare metal is exposed to the elements... Not sure if I can just touch up and move on, or I need to redo the whole area. Ugh.

4. YOWStinger

YOWStinger United States Active Member

Oh yeah, I have 10 years of experience with that one! My VW GTI was the exact same!

5. Chyoon

I'd like to pick your brain of experience.

I've owned the car for about 9 months now. I don't think it's corroding yet, but I can't be too sure. Do you think a touch up paint after sanding down a bit would be good enough?

6. YOWStinger

That's a good place to start, clean it thoroughly and fill with touch-up. If it's just the edge, I wouldn't sand it unless you're planning on painting the whole thing, you won't get the right coverage with a pen. If there's an edge on the scratch, best to let the pen fill that in. The edge won't be very noticeable, you just want to keep any moisture and salt out.

7. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

cut a thin piece of 3m auto vinyle or clear bra and cover the contact area , you'll never do it again , but somebody else will for sure

8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

The 3M PPF on my hood wraps all the way around the back edge. It was installed c. a week before the wiper got yanked up into the edge by a gas station attendant in OR; saved my paint for certain: the PPF was scored heavily, but being "self healing" over time that has largely disappeared.

9. Chyoon

Great tips! Thank you both! I'll do it right away tonight. I wish I noticed sooner.

10. Mike04SVT

Mike04SVT United States Member

My dealer did it to my hood then refused to fix it. The clear 3M thing works but you have to replace every so often.

11. MerlintheMad

Isn't that more like every five to ten years?

12. PMB

PMB Canada Member

I would say not to sand the area. Usually when paint chips off, the galvanizing stays intact, and the galv. is what protects the steel the most. If you damage to reduce the thickness of the zinc layer it will take less time to corrode.

Fill the area with touch up paint, then have the hood full PPF wrapped. That's your best bet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy United States Active Member Sustaining Member +

If you read your owners manual like a good owner you will learn how to properly change the wiper blades aka lift up the wipers without damaging the hood :)

14. Wilzer

Wilzer United States Active Member

Would someone be ever so kind, and post pictures of their 3M film installation to protect hood in wiper area? Thanks :)

15. westcoastGT

Merlin , put some heat on the scored area , ( hairdryer ) and it should fix it ................!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. YOWStinger

I'm considering doing something like the following just under the back lip of the hood at the contact point where the wiper arm would touch the hood:
    https://www.amazon.com/Density-Strip-Adhesive-Weather-Length/dp/B078H8Y95X/

You'd really never see it stuck in there, and it would add a little peace of mind.

17. MerlintheMad

I appreciate the suggestion. But "time heals all wounds" (while not literally true in all cases) works well. Heat scares me. :p

18. westcoastGT

its how you remove scratches on vinyl , just try it from a distance with subtle heat then move closer , heat guns NO , hairdyers yes !!

• Like Like x 2
  19. westcoastGT

I wouldnt do that , that foam will fall apart with weather and the adhesive will be a mess in the heat , auto vinyl or protective bra material is removable and wont leave a residue , and thin enough you wont see it ( clear ) In fact I would wrap the contact point on the hood AND the same spot on the wiper blade for added protection

• Like Like x 2
  20. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

There are at-least 8-10 of us on the forum who have reported this problem (probably more if you took time to read thru a lot of posts). And, there's probably others who have not noticed it. I am convinced that most/all are NOT from "some guy" pulling up on the wipers. You would have to pull very hard on the wiper to scratch the hood-lip paint like that. Plus, on mine and other pictures I've seen here: 1) the wiper/housing is pristine - not scratched or bent, and 2) the scratched area of the hood-lip does not line up with where either wiper would "land" if you pulled it up/against the hood. I am convinced that it was caused by improper material handling after the hood was painted / during assembly. I have gone 2 full circles on this with Kia, and they will not make it right. I will most-likely have the hood repainted - I have one body shop estimate for $500ish. I am NOT happy about it. Along with the other paint issues reported, it's disappointing that Kia could not get this basic blocking-and-tackling right on an otherwise excellent car.

Draft saved Draft deleted