Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Development of Bi-Modal exhaust...

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by AndyGT, Mar 13, 2018.

1. AndyGT

AndyGT Germany Member

I will get my Stinger in 1-2 weeks. I will keep it for a couple of days only before it will be picked up by one of the most exclusive and experienced exhaust manufacturers in the world. The task will be to develop a bi-modal exhaust that gives the Stinger an acoustic soul. Stay tuned for details...

In fact the car will get an electronic system that opens and closes
    the valves. It can be modified through an iOS or Android Smartphone App (Bluetooth). The most common indicator for the valves control will be the rev. So my question to all of you who already own a Stinger 3.3 - what do you think which rev makes sense to define the point when the valves get opened?

I think the best rev would be something between the rev before eco/comfort shift up and the rev when sport mode shifts down. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

I think maybe around 3000 RPM. If you’re cruising you’ll usually stay well below 3k.

3. AndyGT

AndyGT Germany Member

Does Sport mode keep the rev above 3000 constantly?

4. Dave48

Dave48 Australia Member

Paid a bit more attention to rpm on drive home. I reckon revs of about 2500 might be a good point. Generally in sport it will hold low to mid 2’s, shift point mid to high 2’s but this changes with your throttle input and I was going pretty easy as traffic was moderate.
    Exciting project, good luck with it.

5. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Hi Andy just wondering if this was the news you were going to tell us? Last week i think you said you'd have some news on the weekend about an exhaust? If so can you give us anymore details if possible.

6. Never thought

Nope. It prett much keeps it at or above 2000 rpm

7. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

3000 rpm sounds like a good starting point. very interested

8. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

So your Stinger will be the car in which they will be developing on?

Sounds like XForce bi-modal mufflers......

9. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

If it can be controlled by an app, I'd hope the RPM for opening the exhaust is configurable.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. TuscaniCustoms

TuscaniCustoms Slovenia Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 1
  11. AndyGT

AndyGT Germany Member

It will be a bi-modal exhaust system developed by Tubi Style in Maranello, Italy. They also make for Ferrari & Lamborghini.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Duce_13

Duce_13 United States Active Member

Watching this develop

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I thought KIA was already doing their own?

I would recommend the same set-up I have on my Polestar (from the factory). Valves open at a certain rpm (great that it is configurable!), but stay open if you are in a Sport mode. Polestar used the same system world-wide, so it must pass European noise regulations (by remaining closed in normal drive mode and normal driving conditions).

I am 100% interested, but won't be interested in paying a fortune for an after-market system if one is available from the factory that does not involve throwing one entire system in the rubbish. Other threads here talk about it. There is also one already available as on option from KIA in Australia (that may not be the template for the one used in the future).

P.S., we also all have the issue that the fake engine sounds can't be turned off...diminishing and interfering with the great sound of a custom exhaust, or, spoiling the peace and quiet of the stock exhaust.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  14. Never thought

If this could be competitive price wise with Jun BL I’d be excited. Thank you for keeping us updated.

15. Dspec 1

Dspec 1 Canada Member

Hi Andy-any update on this or a clip of your own bimodal exhaust? I will wait for this one if Tubi-style and Auto-activated at about 60% throttle!

16. Marc Collins

Are there systems that are throttle position activated instead of rpm (or vehicle speed if in Europe)?

17. Dspec 1

Dspec 1 Canada Member

I found a link that indicated Kia was developing their own with the throttle positioning determining when the valve opens. Rumor that this, plus Advanced shift algorithms and LSD (Limited Slip Differential) for 3.3 TT May be available in August...? Ill

18. Marc Collins

That rumour, that I am very familiar with, does not specify throttle opening-based bi-modal exhaust. I am asking have you seen this anywhere in the world? I am only familiar with rpm-based or speed-based, in addition to the usual drive-mode based triggers for the valve opening. Have never heard of throttle position-based, though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't possible.

19. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

i am sure everybody has seen how the exhaust has been crimped on sgt and me's video?

20. AndyGT

AndyGT Germany Member

Quotation from the tubi style website - that control unit will be available for the stinger exhaust as well:

Discover the Tubi Style Valvetronic Control Unit mode of operation via remote control:

Mode 1 – Standard functioning.

Mode 2 – Always open. The by pass valve stays open, guaranteeing maximum sound output.

Mode 3 – Sports Driving. The Tubi Style Valvetronic Control Unit keeps the valve open when the driver steps on the gas pedal or brakes sharply. After 10 seconds of normal driving, however, the by pass valve returns to opening and closing as per Standard mode.

Mode 4 – Foot Off. The Valvetronic Control Unit opens the by pass valve every time you take your foot off the gas pedal, regardless of rpms. This means you get to enjoy the unique sound and exhaust features of your car’s engine.

• Like Like x 4
Draft saved Draft deleted