Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Dealer wants me to re-do lease deal. WTF

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by GronkSoyFiesta, Sep 13, 2018.

1. GronkSoyFiesta

GronkSoyFiesta United States Active Member

So, Lee Johnson of Kirkland just called me to say that they “made a mistake” on the money factor in my lease paperwork and they need me to come back in and re-do my deal. The sales manager said that they would give me the additional $800 rebate that was added the day after I bought my car so “it’s just saving me money.”

This is a common scam and illegal in WA.

I find the timing very strange given I just filed a case about the paint.

2. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Really? Did your deal not go to the bank yet? What kind of rates are they talking? Hopefully better than what you have now. If you end up at a less price and you are buying it out, better for you.

3. Mike04SVT

Mike04SVT United States Member

That is common. Your getting better deal so be happy.

4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I'd be inclined to show up with a lawyer....

5. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

If the new MF is better why not? If not, and the $800 doesn’t make up for it, just tell them no. A contract is a contract. I guarantee if you made a “mistake” in the deal, they wouldn’t give you the opportunity to re-do the deal. Too bad so sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GTA Jay

GTA Jay Canada Member

They want to save you money, I fail to see what the problem is?

7. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Everyone jumping to conclusions. Just look at the paperwork and decide what to do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Stinger Enthusiast

Lee Johnson doesn't care about your paint case. Kia corporate has to pay the bill.

9. Dmchristie1

Dmchristie1 United States Member

I went through the lease agreement with my Kia finance guy and we found an $800 issue we couldn’t reconcile. After a few hours I signed anyway thinking it was another lease charge... the finance guy didn’t know either but as I was the only bubba that ever dug so deep into the charges he was curious too. He kept digging. I got a call the next day. He found the culprit. They (dealership) added another $800 Kia stinger “premium” uplift hard coded into the spreadsheet. He told them to remove it called me and I went down re - signed.
    I bought out the lease on the yellow stinger as fast as you could. Worked out ok .... until the paint issue. That’s another thread though

• Like Like x 2
  10. GronkSoyFiesta

How can you say this is common? It's a common scam tactic. Usually with a different provision in the fine print. How is this consumer friendly?

11. GronkSoyFiesta

Exactly

12. GronkSoyFiesta

Thanks. That is the only example I've ever heard of such a deal being in the favor of the consumer. I don't feel like they have a ton of credibility with me because they either lied about the paint issue or were less than forthcoming, because they said it only affected yellow. So, with that as a basis, perhaps my skepticism of the sales manager is warranted. And, he said "don't worry about the high MF, that's why you're getting the lease cash?" Huh?

13. Waynerm002

It’s a known fact that the MF/interest rate is high on the lease which is why the advice to buy it out based on the large amount of lease cash up front. Maybe they made a mistake and are correct it. Everything is just speculation until you find out for sure. They can’t change the deal if it was already accepted by the bank/financing company. If it wasn’t and you refuse to do a new one, they can repo the vehicle as you do not have a binding contract. Now, if you have received an account number and a payment schedule, you should contact the financing company to find out what’s up.

14. GronkSoyFiesta

If by "repo" you mean unwind the deal and give me my money back, then yes. Otherwise WA state law says no.

15. Waynerm002

ok.

16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

My finance guy called me in to resign the lease paperwork (this was a couple weeks later, iirc), all because he had combined two items on one line and they are supposed be written down with each item having its own line. Very strange fubar, I thought. Nothing was changed otherwise.

17. GronkSoyFiesta

OK, so...maybe I'm just the most cynical, jaded, paranoid a-hole in the world. Dealer made a mistake on the money factor, Kia didn't like it. They reduced the MF, gave me the new rebate and lowered the selling price of the car. It seems too good to be true, but that numbers say it's true.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Waynerm002

Good things do happen! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. GronkSoyFiesta

Amen, my friend

• Like Like x 1
  20. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Hey Gronk, good to hear that this turned out well.

By all indications, Lee Johnson is one of the better dealers. I suspect they may sell as many Stingers as just about anyone in the U.S.

My wife bought her previous Miata from Lee Johnson - in addition to KIA's, they sell Mazda's and Chevy's. She takes both her cars there for servicing, and I plan to take my Stinger there for servicing too.

That said, individual sales people vary a lot. When she was looking to buy her new Miata, the sales person we talked to at Lee Johnson was basically clueless. So we bought her new ride from another Mazda dealer.

In other words, while finding a good dealer is important, it's also important to find a good sales person.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted