kia stinger store

Dead battery issue

Stingergttt

I bought a new 2018 Stinger gt2. I had 4 dead battery issues and had my car to the dealer 3 times. They cannot find the issue yet. Something is drawing from the battery. The dealer Ian dealing with Kia tech line. Said it’s a new issue. Anyone else have any issues with this ? Have had my Stinger for 3 weeks. Ow and can’t enjou it because it’s been at the dealer. I think I got a lemon

OliverNuther

1000 Posts Club!
Brisbane, Australia
Do you keep your car locked at all times? I haven’t heard of your particular issue happening to any Stinger owners but I did hear of some Commodore owners in Australia reporting similar issues a few years back when they left their cars unlocked and/or with windows down. I forget the reason why but it was something to do with the security system of the car searching for the key or some such. Prolly not your issue but it’s all I’ve got.

Oh wait, are they replacing your battery each time it dies or just recharging it?

Dom

I had the exact same problem with my new Stinger. The battery kept on dying. The dealer replaced it and there has been no problem since. It appears that there was a faulty batch of batteries in the factory at some stage. BTW taking the battery out is a two minute job - no special tools required.

G

G-63614

I have a Kia Stinger GT2 2019, built in 2018. Battery has gone dead twice. Car now at Kia dealer to diagnose the problem. I hope it falls within a group of bad batteries. Six months old.

TahoeStinger

Newish Member
My battery died twice on my 2019 Stinger purchased in July. Both times were when I got in the car after it sat for a full day without driving. Previously, I had an issue where the car could not be driven for four days, the battery was fine when that happened. Hopefully it's a bad battery and I'll get them to replace under warranty! Sucks making payments and nt being able to rip around in the White Zombie!!

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
... BTW taking the battery out is a two minute job - no special tools required.
Not for most of us. I wanted to look at the battery box from inside/above, and got down in there and started to take strap bolts out, and realized what I lacked were long sockets. Now, maybe not "special tools" to you gearheads, but to most of us who do not work on cars getting that battery out is impossible with what tools we typically have. Not to forget pointing out that this battery will weigh a freaking ton. I don't even want to know. :p

OP and others: batteries that keep going flat need replacement, period. I've not heard of any Stinger driver's continuing to complain of this once a brand new battery is installed.

My Stinger GT Limited is a 2018 with 29000KM on it.
I installed a nice little digital voltmeter in my cigarette lighter plug, uh sorry Accessories Adaptor port :rolleyes:, when I bought the car used last August 2019, and it used to show 12 to 12.5 volts without the engine running and 13.8 to 14 volts when it was running last summer. But lately, it shows only 11.3 to 11.5 volts without the engine running and 13.8-14 volts with it running. The ASS never kicks in anymore (yellow symbol in dashboard). Although it was winter time up until this virus lockdown crap, and I'm not driving the car as much lately. Am I still perhaps having the AGM car battery slowly going bad on me? :unsure:

Fstein

I bought a new 2018 Stinger gt2. I had 4 dead battery issues and had my car to the dealer 3 times. They cannot find the issue yet. Something is drawing from the battery. The dealer Ian dealing with Kia tech line. Said it’s a new issue. Anyone else have any issues with this ? Have had my Stinger for 3 weeks. Ow and can’t enjou it because it’s been at the dealer. I think I got a lemon
I'm going thru something close. The fan killed my battery because it wouldnt stop running when I shut her down. It's at the dealership now and they say they have a tech looking into this as well

G

G-505956

Same here, 2018 GT ltd awd, bought new, 16,000km, battery completely drained after it sat for a weekend, couldn’t even unlock the door. Had to use the key. It’s at the dealer and will have to pay half of the bill.

G

G-185189

I have a 2018 Stinger that has 12,000 miles on it. It has been into the dealership 4 times in the last month for dead battery issues. The last time it was in for a week. The morning after I picked it up it was dead. (this morning) I bought it used with 6,000 miles on it. I found out the last owner had it in the dealership (in another town) for 3 months, they apparently could not solve it so he traded it in on a Cadillac and I got stuck with it. I am gong to look into the lemon law and try to get my money back or sue Kia.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I have a 2018 Stinger that has 12,000 miles on it. It has been into the dealership 4 times in the last month for dead battery issues. The last time it was in for a week. The morning after I picked it up it was dead. (this morning) I bought it used with 6,000 miles on it. I found out the last owner had it in the dealership (in another town) for 3 months, they apparently could not solve it so he traded it in on a Cadillac and I got stuck with it. I am gong to look into the lemon law and try to get my money back or sue Kia.
This isn't yours by any chance? ;)
stinger kiadillac.png stinger kiadillac2.png

adam1991

I have a 2018 Stinger that has 12,000 miles on it. It has been into the dealership 4 times in the last month for dead battery issues. The last time it was in for a week. The morning after I picked it up it was dead. (this morning) I bought it used...I am gong to look into the lemon law and try to get my money back or sue Kia.
Lemon law doesn't apply to used cars.

Contact an attorney and get the facts before you go further.

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
LOL...Santa gave you that idea?
In all likelyhood, there is probably nothing wrong with your car. Before wasting any money on lawyers or postage to KIA - or better before you embarass yourself - buy a battery tender or trickle charger (Costco $60), charge the battery and keep you key fobs FAR AWAY from the car.
If they are located/stored too close to the car, there is a tendency for the key fobs to communicate with the car and run the battery down.
Dealerships keep keys and cars well separated from each other, so they will NEVER find out what causes the drain, whereas at home, people may keep the keys on a shelf near the garage, just on the other side of the wall. Close enough for drainage to occur. Or keep the key fobs in a metal box, think Faraday's Cage....
If modern car thieves can locate signals from your key fobs and use that information to steal cars, so can your car.
Happy New Year. And get that charger, and keep it attached...