Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

DBLs — Dark spot in the center of beams?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by VA_StingerGT2, May 15, 2018.

1. VA_StingerGT2

VA_StingerGT2 United States Newish Member

Does everyone with GT2 DBLs also have a noticable dark spot where the two headlight beams meet in about the center of the roadway in front of you? Wondering if there is way to eliminate that spot. Are my headlight beams out of alignment perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wow, thought it was just me...mine does.

3. Zotto

Zotto Canada Member

Its the eyes of your stinger! I like mine especially when the assisted cornering beams look both ways on start up :thumbup:

These are by far the best head lights i have ever seen/used on a stock vehicle... Enjoy the uniqueness.

4. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Absolutely normal

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Yep, perfectly normal. Exact same headlights that have been used on the 17-current SXL Optimas.

6. VA_StingerGT2

VA_StingerGT2 United States Newish Member

Thanks all. Just one more thing to get used to in the new ride!

7. JCranford83

JCranford83 United States Member

I have same black void...also my headlights without high beams don't seam to be providing much visual distance. At night they seem to be directed on the bumper if car 1 car length ahead. I'm guessing only about 25 foot of light...is it possible my headlights need adjusted? Anyone else have this issue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jdouga

jdouga United States Active Member

I have a gt1, same thing w mine, i think their meant to be that way

9. JCranford83

Scares me at higher speeds at night...I really can't see a safe distance ahead if/when high beams drop back. Going to call the dealer tomorrow and have them adjust them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Falaris

Falaris United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

I have no idea if this is correct but after a few months of looking at the notch I believe it is probably used for limit settings on the right and left adjustments for the DBL's. They probably aim it at a wall with a horizontal grid and track the right to left angles with the notch. Again it is a guess and I cannot find anything to back that up. I do see many others complaining about the notch and the reduced distance they can see with the low beams on.

I am not having that issue with mine but am possibly more tolerant than others. I think the Stinger headlights are some of the best I have ever seen in a vehicle and am very happy with them. I would suggest keeping on the dealer until they are adjusted to your liking. You should never feel unsafe driving your car at night!

-Fal

11. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

The notch is to prevent glare from blinding on coming traffic. Also I am very pleased with the illumination and brightness of the headlights. Having driven multiple cars with factory HID systems, these LED headlights are hella brighter :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Falaris

Falaris United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

Is that explained anywhere? I searched all over for some explanation about the notch. It just does not seem large enough to me for that purpose. But it sure sounds plausible I guess.

-Fal

13. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Mine are the same way...id estimate the beam "hits" the ground 50-60 feet in front of the car. Def below the bumper of a car in front of me.

i went to dealer and asked for adjustment...their response..."we dont know how to adjust them on that model" So, i am waiting for them to figure it out by calling Kia Corp today. There are adjustment "channels" in the engine bay but they are empty on the LED headlights. That is, the standard halogens can be manually adjusted. Apparently the LED lights need to be programmed or coded. Such a joke that i cannot simply turn the know a few turns to fine tune this.

Agreed on safety...i will continue to have them adjusted until i feel safe with the light spread at night! Any slight incline in the road and the lights may as well be off at their current setting.

Hopefully dealer calls today with a solution.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. JCranford83

I'm at the dealer now...fingers crossed. I did tell them there's a video on the forum if they can't figure it out. Lol.

15. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Headlights on mine are excellent, both low and high beam. Very bright, and long "throw" of forward illumination.

Sounds like your headlights clearly need adjustment.

16. JCranford83

Dealer looked for about 45 minutes, and then I was told there is no option to adjust my GT2 headlights any higher.
    If anyone knows of a way please let me know!!

17. SEA Stinger

It sounds more like your dealer's service department doesn't know how to adjust the headlights. When lazy or inexperienced mechanics are stumped by something, they are prone to claim it's not possible.

I suggest you call another (hopefully nearby) dealer's service department and ask if they know how to do it. More to the point, ask if they have experience raising the level of headlights on a Stinger.

18. JCranford83

I contact Kia Support...they are to get back to me tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SEA Stinger

Good thinking - smart move!

Please let us know how this turns out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

Yea keep us posted. I remember seeing that spot my 1st night of ownership and thinking it was a dead bug. havent driven at night since, but I too would like that spot removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted