Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Dashcam install (RHD)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by mikejward, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mikejward

mikejward United Kingdom Newish Member

My first post of this sort so I hope it's okay.

I've always hardwired my dashcams so they aren't taking up a 12v socket. Always done it the same way using the same devices so I did the same with the Stinger last week and it seems to be working really well.

I'm in the UK so I can only talk about Right Hand Drive Stingers but maybe it will help others.
    Obviously I take no responsibility if you break your cars or whatever, but it's fairly simple to do.

For this we'll be using the fuse box just to the right of the steering wheel.

IMG_20180613_190910.jpg
    Here's what you need:

- Dashcam and it should come with a long power cable. This will either end with a cigarette 12v charger, or a usb end (in which case you'll need the usb to 12v adaptor).

- Add-a-circuit. This is how we're going to tap into the fusebox. The stinger uses a different kind of fuse called "micro2" (not mini) so make sure it looks like this one:
    micro2.jpg

- We need a 12v port to plug the power cable in to, so we use one of these:
    12v.jpg

How to:

1) Cut the crocodile clips off the 12v socket adapter, we don't need these. Strip a bit of wire at the end of each.
    2) Red wire goes in the connector for the Red add-a-circuit, then crimp it with pliers. I also put some tape just in case.
    3) Put the new fuse (10-15amp should be fine) in the top connection of the add a circuit, this is the new circuit to the dash cam.
    4) Choose the fuse you're tapping in to. I've chosen the one which controls the interior lighting so my dashcam comes on when the dome lights come on, and goes off when the car is locked and the dome lights go off. IMG_20180613_191322.jpg
    5) Take this fuse out, place it in your add-a-circuit then put the add-a-circuit in it's place IMG_20180613_191234.jpg
    6) Now we need to earth/ground it to the car's body with the black wire from the 12v adaptor. Luckily to the right of the fusebox there's 2 nuts, the bottom of which is just accessible with a small spanner. This is the most difficult bit but with some patience you can loosen it just enough to slip the bare end of the black wire behind, then tighten it up again. Took about 15 minutes. IMG_20180613_191219.jpg
    7) We've now wired in a 12v charger to the fuse box! Go ahead and test it.
    8) Now install the dashcam on the windscreen. I have mine just to the left of the rear-view mirror. It's not a perfect location due to the cameras and sensors but it's the best discreet location I could find. Then the cable tucks nicely into the headlining where it meets the windscreen. Route it towards the drivers side.
    IMG_20180613_190924.jpg
    9) Now it goes around the A pillar and tucks into the door seal rubber. When you're done this is the only bit if cable you'll see, apart from where it enters your dashcam.
    IMG_20180613_190944.jpg
    10) Now just run it down the door seal. Gets a bit tight near dashboard so I had to use a trim remover tool to poke it into place. Kia have used very heavy duty seals.
    11) Just below the dashboard there's a handy gap where the next piece of trim slots into place. This is perfect to run the cable around, then up into the fuse box and out the front.
    IMG_20180613_191040.jpg
    12) Connect the power cable into the cigarette lighter, bundle all the spare cable up and get it all nice and compact. (I'm going to go back and tidy mine up now it works). IMG_20180613_191130.jpg
    13) Push it all into the gap to the right of the fuse box, where the nut was we used to earth it. It's a large space and it all tucks up there nice and neat (unlike mine!). IMG_20180613_191102.jpg
    14) All done! Neatly wired in and you don't have to think about it any more :D

Hope this helps. It's really simple, the hardest part is getting to that nut to put the ground wire, but it was even more difficult in my last car so be grateful for that.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Nice write up.

On Step 9 if you take that trim removal tool you can shove the wire between the A pillar and headliner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mikejward

Good point! Thanks

4. NickUK

NickUK United Kingdom Member

is it possible you could do a video of this please for the noobs among us (i.e. me) ;)

5. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You drive with the dome lights on?

I have done this exact same method on some cars, but on my Sorento the overhead light assembly comes out easily, and I found a switched (on when car running) circuit in the overhead dome, probably to do with the sunroof. I tapped into that in a similar way, and have a 3-port USB adapter in the 12v "outlet" that allows me to run multiple devices from there - dashcam is permanent, but also a phone or radar detector when needed.

6. mikejward

Hey, nope I don't but that fuse always has power from the moment you unlock the car to when you lock it again and walk off. I think it controls more than just the dome lights, it does the footwell lights and all sorts. I was going to use the fuse marked "power outlet" but they don't come on until the ignition is on, and I like the camera booting up a bit before then. That was my plan b though.

7. mikejward

I'll try if I get a moment :)

8. Bothor

Bothor Australia Member

Thanks for this. Has anyone installed a rear camera as well? I'll be getting an auto-electrician to install but wondering if anyone has any tips I can give them. Particularly around how to get into the grommet-pipe (blanked on the name...) thing which connects to the hatch?

9. Goodbrand

Goodbrand United States Member Texas Stinger Swarm

I've been procrastinating on this... I have the dash cam, got it as a christmas gift... anyway, this is a great guide, so thanks!!!

I just wanted to add that rather than buying the mirco2 add a circuit and a lighter adapter, there is a all in one option that also has a battery drain protection circuit which would probably work out cheaper than the 2 adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=8QHVB3SKHJZRGHNTARYY

10. Madman

Madman Australia Active Member Sustaining Member

Ahhh, radar detectors...I fondly remember those but then 3 things happened 1) Australian cops outlawed them 2) Australian cops got 21st century technology and 3) they started hiding in the bushes with cameras....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I actually haven't used one in 20 years, I meant if people reading this wondered how they might use it! :)

Waze FTW...

12. Pda

Pda Australia New Member

I’ve also installed a dual dashcam set up for RHD. Wasn’t too difficult, removing the middle plastic trim, routing cable for rear camera through the existing rubber fitting, and into the hatch was a bit of a pain. I hid the extra cabling in the middle plastic trim.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Nice, is that a 2CH BlackVue?

14. Pda

Pda Australia New Member

Thinkware F770 2channel

• Like Like x 1
  15. MMB22

MMB22 United States New Member

Some videos show them removing the A pillar to put the wire behind the side airbag, does the stinger have an airbag in the A pillar? I don't see the marking of the airbag anywhere on it only by the seatbelt area. I'm going to install my mobius like I had on my old car just need the micro 2 adapter but the fabric looks pretty solid so I might have to run the wire on the outside close to the window but the top window has a gap big enough to run a wire through.

16. Pda

Pda Australia New Member

There is an airbag in the a pillar.

Draft saved Draft deleted