kia stinger store

Dashboard light scratches

peterpan223

So Cal
I am getting many light scratches on my dashboard.
It first happened when I was detailing my car over a year ago. I used Grito's Garage interior detailer and high quality MF towel, I noticed what it first looked like a white residue. After trying to wipe if off, I realized it was light scratch, but pretty visible since it turns grey on a otherwise black dash. I tried to be very careful not to touch the dash since then, but despite my effort to be very careful, I am getting lots of light scratches, usually from putting on mask on top of my dash. Very light fingernail is enough to cause a scratch. Or even when I put up and take down windshield sunshade, slight rub on the dash will create the scuff mark. It seems like there was one post a few month back, but there were not much reply to that thread.
When I did a quick search on google, I am finding out that this is not just on Stinger or Kia, but in all kinds of manufactures and models, ranging from Toyotas, Hyundai, Tesla, Lexus, etc.
So far, there is no remedy on getting it out...
Pictures are not from my car, but looks exactly the same. If I try to wipe it out with high quality MF with just water and/or cleaning solution, it makes it worse.
Anyone on this forum having this issue?

img_9964_f2ebcd8ed9405bb9637eb05a1a09d5c66f512f8e.jpg 20160810_182431.jpg

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I've mentioned my scratches, in the far upper right corner, which possibly were there already when I got the car brand new: in any case, I noticed them a few weeks afterward and wondered "WTH?!" because I was only just then cleaning the dust off for the first time. I've never used anything but a terrycloth hand towel, that I spray lightly to dampen it so that it will pick up the dust. There is no way that I caused those scratches. I can prove it by referring to your point about putting up and taking down the windshield sunshade. I used a cheap flexed wire - round - sunshade till a few months ago, when I sprang for the customized Heatshield for the Stinger. The Heatshield easily gets snagged on the forward raised border of the dash as I put it up, so, you'd think that if the edge of the Heatshield is going to cause scratches (I am not gentle, actually, and in fact get rather steamed at the process of inserting the Heatshield, since it isn't getting any easier, and sometimes seems to get harder) they would have showed by now. I haven't noticed any new scratches.

I am clueless as to what causes these marks. This subject has been raised before and so far no one has a solution to "clean" them off. I suspect that the marks are some kind of failure in the finish of the "leatherette" (the dash is not leather). Unless we come up with some way to recolor/refinish the leatherette, these marks are going to remain visible.

First pic shows the only scuffs (they're not deep enough to be called scratches): the rest of the dash still looks clean of any scuffs/scratches:
DSCF0898.JPG DSCF0899.JPG DSCF0900.JPG DSCF0901.JPG DSCF0902.JPG

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Does your interior detailer have any protectant in it? I would hit it with a bit of CarPro Perl, 303, CG silk or natural shine.

peterpan223

So Cal
Merlin, I agree with you that these are scuff marks due to finish flaw on the dashboard material. I guess there is not much we can do about it.

Red, my interior detailer has UV protection in it as well as some anti dust property that is supposed to make cleaning dust off easier. I did hear good stuff about 303, and I've also read some horror stories about how it leads to fine cracks in vinyl over time.

No one else is experiencing similar issue?
Is this more of an isolated finish flaw on the dash?

Puckhead

I have the same issue. Mine is worse off than the pics above. Looking for advice as well.

Attachments

• 4709FB06-FA7C-460A-9F86-419E153A8D9B.jpeg
    4709FB06-FA7C-460A-9F86-419E153A8D9B.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 19
  • E1B09020-47E3-4D6F-8B22-ECC527669DF4.jpeg
    E1B09020-47E3-4D6F-8B22-ECC527669DF4.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 19
new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

peterpan223

So Cal
I have the same issue. Mine is worse off than the pics above. Looking for advice as well.
That looks about right as my dash.

Seems like the more I try to do something about it, the more harm I cause.

I hate glossy dash, but I'm wondering if I get something like Armor All and just cover it up and make it all shiny, if it'll cover it up?

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
That looks about right as my dash.

Seems like the more I try to do something about it, the more harm I cause.

I hate glossy dash, but I'm wondering if I get something like Armor All and just cover it up and make it all shiny, if it'll cover it up?
NO! That sounds utterly drastic. "Scuffs" would be preferable to a glossy dash. Let me try Meg's PlastX in my corner. Hold on ...

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Merlin, that looks real good!
Did you dampen the MF cloth with the product and lightly touched it up?
I just followed the directions on the PlastX: put a dab of the product on a terrycloth rag, wiped it on and dried it off before the product dried out; repeated a couple of times to get a couple of spots that I missed (overlapped a lot, of course).

byebyeSTI

im glad i found this thread , i wiped the dash down in my 2021 gt and after found all these small scratches on the dash , i thought i had a towel with something stuck to it that made the marks ., i went back to re clean or wipe gently with a super soft microfiber , and it got worse as said in the post before , i have been detailing cars for over 25 years and have never had this happen . ill try the plastx ! also very disappointed with the quality of somethings on this car , i just say thats the kia showing through .

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
im glad i found this thread , i wiped the dash down in my 2021 gt and after found all these small scratches on the dash , i thought i had a towel with something stuck to it that made the marks ., i went back to re clean or wipe gently with a super soft microfiber , and it got worse as said in the post before , i have been detailing cars for over 25 years and have never had this happen . ill try the plastx ! also very disappointed with the quality of somethings on this car , i just say thats the kia showing through .
^ this

It shouldn't be happening on "flagship halo cars" with this kind of MSRP at all.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

n8hegr8

I am getting many light scratches on my dashboard.
It first happened when I was detailing my car over a year ago. I used Grito's Garage interior detailer and high quality MF towel, I noticed what it first looked like a white residue. After trying to wipe if off, I realized it was light scratch, but pretty visible since it turns grey on a otherwise black dash. I tried to be very careful not to touch the dash since then, but despite my effort to be very careful, I am getting lots of light scratches, usually from putting on mask on top of my dash. Very light fingernail is enough to cause a scratch. Or even when I put up and take down windshield sunshade, slight rub on the dash will create the scuff mark. It seems like there was one post a few month back, but there were not much reply to that thread.
When I did a quick search on google, I am finding out that this is not just on Stinger or Kia, but in all kinds of manufactures and models, ranging from Toyotas, Hyundai, Tesla, Lexus, etc.
So far, there is no remedy on getting it out...
Pictures are not from my car, but looks exactly the same. If I try to wipe it out with high quality MF with just water and/or cleaning solution, it makes it worse.
Anyone on this forum having this issue?

View attachment 62576 View attachment 62575
i thought i ruined my dash as well, using chemical brothers leather interior cleaner and a micro towel, it just put a film and scratches on the dash. not using that stuff anymore. what i found that fixed it and made it look new again was simply going to my car wash, purchasing a 3$ package of leather wipes. problem solved, looks great, no film.

n8hegr8

i did scratch the charging cover accidentally with a plastic vacuum hose. so mad.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
i thought i ruined my dash as well, using chemical brothers leather interior cleaner and a micro towel, it just put a film and scratches on the dash. not using that stuff anymore. what i found that fixed it and made it look new again was simply going to my car wash, purchasing a 3$ package of leather wipes. problem solved, looks great, no film.
The dash isn't leather... just use an interior quick detailer like "inner clean" if you are using CG's stuff

n8hegr8

"The dash isn't leather... "
well damn it, theres the answer. the cg did say leather AND interior cleaner...
other thing that happened was going thru car washes with the rotating brushes, ruined the finish on my first stinger.
be careful with those kind of car washes.