1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Dash Cam install with bonus scratch included.

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by Wazz, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Once bitten, hindsight and all that... Autobarn Bendigo convinced me to have them install my BlackVue DR900S 2Ch because they said they give a year warranty on install (which I found out but took their word for it).

Absolutely **** job I must say, trim not put fully back into place and as photos show, damage to plastic and also the paintwork!! My eye sight ain't flash and it was only by pure chance I looked down to the damage as I was sitting in the car with the door open waiting for my 11yo to finish school. I'm normally in and out in a flash so never look that closely.

I phoned them at 330pm, nobody answered! Probably lucky for them as quite a few "words" would have been spewing out. Have since emailed them (have done so with questions before, they never answer them) seeking compensation for the damage and a refund for the 750 2CH I bought on weekend for my wife's car - still waiting a call to say it has arrived...have already pa Stinger paint scratch 1.jpg Stinger plastic scratch.jpg id.

. It may sound stupid but I work damn hard and this car was a reward for that plus a present to myself for getting through health issues and to cheer me up as ongoing issues continue. I can't ignore the scratch, it can't be unseen and I will notice it every day now.

Sorry for the long-winded message, I'm so angry, stressed and sad that a 5 week old Stinger now has damage.
    Advice - check your car very closely when anyone does work on it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Don’t blame you that your angry I would be livid, I feel your pain, Autobarn needs to own up to this pay to have Kia rectify the damage.
    I would never let these places touch my car, half the time they employ halfwits on $15 per hour so they don’t give a toss.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Sorry to learn that some idiot has f***ed up AGAIN. Calm down, go back tomorrow and speak with the store manager.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Manaz

Manaz Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Absolutely not acceptable. If the store manager doesn't fix it, go to corporate headquarters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club!

It looks like they shoved a screwdriver into plastic panel to free it. I bet they broke the clips behind it. Get a price for all the parts and repairs and give it to them. If they don’t fix ask for a refund for dash cam and you keep it, otherwise a visit to fair trading to see where you stand and tell these guys that’s what you’re going to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Hope Autobarn accept responsibility for the scratch, because we passionate Stinger owners know every inch of our cars, and I'm sure @Wazz knew that scratch wasn't there before, just hearing and seeing of the scratch makes me mad at everyone that works on our cars, they just don't treat it with care as if it's their own, when i took my Stinger in for it's 1 year service, I planned to tell them not to wash it, guess what, I forgot, when I returned , I asked the service guy if they had washed it, he said no, when I walked over to my Stinger, it was still abit wet, they also wiped the inside with what seemed to be a wet cloth, which left fluff and dried wet marks, I was fuming, and for those who still have to do their 1st year service, they will remove the engine bay strut bars, to check the air filters, which I made sure they knew I was not happy with, even though it was necessary.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Autobarn Bendigo replied late Saturday afternoon saying their phone & internet had been down for a 1 1/2 weeks, hence why I rang the day before and nobody answered. Funnily when I was there a week ago trying to buy a dash cam for Mrs Wazz and they couldn't locate it, they looked online at their own web-page. I saw one dude on a phone call too (recall as was bloke I had previously had help from)!

Anyway, they have asked me to go in tomorrow (look out, I'm still fuming)... and I have noticed an issue since they buggered things up too, may not be related but the bi-modal sometimes seems to be loud at any RPM and any mode. It happens at least once or twice a day and sometimes in mid-drive it will correct itself. Would this be due to a fusebox issue since they installed a Magic Pro and would have obviously had to wire it in, or something more from the exhaust?

Would KIA connect the bi-modal wiring in a certain spot in the fusebox? Problem is I am not nimble enough to crawl under the steering wheel to see if there is a loose connection at the rear of box, can only check the fusebox from the front. Wouldn't think it would be a faulty fuse as it would either work or not work.

8. ShannonC

Bi-modal is always loud on a cold start but should work normally according to engine and drive mode so what you describe doesnt seem like usual behaviour. Here's a pic of what I understand to be the fuse tap the installer most likely would use (thick red wire). Can't comment on Magic Pro as I have no experience with it.

9. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Thanks @ShannonC no pic attached but yes it's a bit noisier on start up in any mode until I drive off but that's fine, it's the constant at any speed/revs. I took it for a spin around 30 minutes ago, the first 25 it was the noisy exhaust, the last 5 it went back to normal.

10. Bigbikes

Bigbikes Australia Active Member

Its just behind fuse cover on drivers side...here's some pics
    20190805_151506.jpg 20190805_151519.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShannonC

Forgot to add pic...lol
    20190624_111044.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bigbikes

HaHa..l uploaded pics also..great minds :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Update on the Autobarn Bendigo fiasco. Strap yourself in, it's a long ride/write up!

Acting Manager, installer & another dude looked at the deep scratch/plastic damage. Young installer said marks/divot in plastic was a screwdriver slot for easy access! The KIA factory must use a bent screwdriver or knife to make that type of hole, told them this, they didn’t respond!

When I asked them how did they scratch the car and why wasn’t I told (was quite calm at this point), the installer said, and I quote “I treat all cars like they are my own!”, Seriously?! I’d hate to see his car then. Even the acting Manager had a bewildered look on her face! At that point my blood boiled, I told them exactly how p****d off I was. Also told them since they touched it I have intermittent bi-modal exhaust issues (wiring seems intact so may be a huge coincidence), I could hear crickets chirping waiting for a response. They simply did not get how upset I was.

The acting Manager offered to:
    1) Refund of the $210 install charge
    2) Get a car place they use lots to look at it & “patch it up” (indicates they scratch a lot of cars)
    3) Rip out the installation. Nothing was mentioned about the dashcam then, assuming they were to refund me…I want more than that.

Manager did not offer anything re the buggered plastic.

I told them I would think it over but my first thought is it’s not a good enough a resolution. My issue is the car will never be the same now, when repainted it won’t be the same, the smell of the paint will no doubt detract from the awesome new car smell. Re the uninstallation, I would not let them go near my car again, how stupid do they think I am?

I emailed them late yesterday giving them until 5pm Friday to email me their acceptance to my counter offer of resolution being:

1) Get their “car place” to quote for the “patch up”
    2) Refund the installation cost and refund the cost of the Dash cam
    3) Let me keep the Dash Cam
    4) If they agree to this I'''l not seek a refund for my wife’s dash cam which we paid for but 2 weeks later still waiting for it to arrive and will forego the plastic repair part.
    5) I will refrain from any (further) social media discussion on the poor experience – there are two very well-known FB pages locally that highlight poor products and services where they can be named and shamed.
    6) I won’t make a formal complaint to Autobarn head office
    7) I won't seek further recourse via VCAT or any other option available. I let them know that businesses who face VCAT face having the outcome freely available to view online which would not be great for business.

I am still awaiting a response, my thought is it will end up going to VCAT and I’ve not got a problem with this.

I can’t un-see the scratch, sure it is not in an obvious spot when the door is closed but I know it is there, I tend to look at it all the time now, my enjoyment of the car is less.

Sorry for venting, hard to believe this is the short version of events :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bigbikes

Thats the problem when you get IDIOTS to touch your car...when i got my tyres fitted to my new rims at Bob Jane the car was 4days old and tyre fitter gets in with No seat cover or no paper mat on carpets, then to piss me off more after getting rims from back of car as i put seats down the MORON decides to close rear door with his ARSE :mad:...so l went into managers office and ripped into him over the MORONS actions...oh i got a sorry o_O..Oh as for the scratch give it a clean with Metho if not too deep you can use some clear nail polish it will hide it pretty well. Its not perfect but will take eyes of it...Better than trying to respray that area..as a spray painter thats what i would do, anyway hope you get good outcome..Cheers

15. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Hi there @Wazz ,
    Totally understand your anger with Autobarn, if they cared for customers cars, like as if they are their own, the scratch should not have happened, I can also relate that once you see and know of the scratch, that you will see it everytime and remind you of this and upset you, and feel your Stinger is not in perfect condition like before, I would suggest have that part replaced new if possible, not repaired, and at their expense of course.
    I have had a similar experience during my 1st year service, a lesson learnt for me for the 2nd year service onwards, also, my rear glossy black diffuser has had a scratch on it since the day I picked it up, and 17 months later it still bothers me, should have had it repaired long time ago, today I visited my local Kia dealership, and the salesman told me to bring it in, and have his detailer look at it, and tell me if it can be polished out, don't know why and how I let it go for so long.
    Hope you get the resolution you deserve.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club!

Straight to consumer affairs I say, and tell the seller that. They should back peddle quickly. If you let their touch up guy fix it it will be worse when they finish. Tell them refund the lot and u will get it fixed at your expense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Cashie

Cashie Australia Active Member

It’s a bitter pill to swallow and a tough lesson learnt, I’ve seen some horrible work come out of Autobarn over the years. No care or respect generally.
    I think I’d live with the scratch and maybe do what bigbikes recommended above. I’d hate for another workshop to do further damage ripping out trims etc to paint.
    If you can get the cost of the install and dashcam purchase back I’d reluctantly move on I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Yes I am wary of a respray so will try your suggestion (thanks, appreciate it), the scratch looked deep but I'm too gutless to look that closely again lol but will have another look on the weekend. If I had only bought a white Stinger instead of silver!

I have still not heard back from them, I think they will ignore my email (or claim yet again to have had email issues), so pretty confident I'll be taking it to VCAT by the weekend and spreading the word on local forums why to avoid doing business with them.

19. PxbVic

PxbVic Australia Active Member

Sorry to hear your pain Wazz, it's a big problem now days, you get something nice, you put trust in so called professionals to take care of your baby, and they botch it up on you. Pretty sh1t really. I hope you get a resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Eek- I bought a Blackvue from Autobarn it's going to get fitted when they're stock comes in. I can feel my blood pressure going up already.

I've had my fair share of horror stories over the years. From Subaru slamming the seat buckle in the door and leaving a big dent in the sill, and at the same service losing the keys! And then saying we never gave them the keys? - Never got them back either.

Having an auto electrician wire something up incorrectly and loose all power whilst doing 60km an hour.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted