Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Custom Magnaflow Axleback

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by corradoMR2, Apr 9, 2018.

1. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

I've used a custom Magnaflow setup on my past two Lexus IS vehicles and have been very happy with their cost, performance, and sound.

The new Magnaflow catback sound is not convincing and the pricing should be well above 1K USD, more than what I want to spend for this.

Here's a pic of the main "mufflers" (resonators) I will be using to replace the huge OEM mufflers.

Will update by the end of the week once the axleback is done.

20180405_191328.jpg
    20180405_191338.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

If you're able, a before audio/video and an after audio/video would be greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  3. corradoMR2

You can count on that!

• Like Like x 2
  4. DrDas

DrDas Canada Newish Member

Looking forward to the audio review!

5. corradoMR2

Wanted to give an update to share my experiences with this setup.

As per past custom jobs, it is more an art in trial and error than science, in getting it right.

At this first attempt (below), job is nicely done and looks great and startup was nice and deep. Problem is, the exhaust drones like mad and I cannot recommend this setup unless you wear ear plugs - not kidding. I don't mind a bit of drone but this is really bad as the low frequency is loud and ear-piercing, between 1500-2400 rpm under even light load. Above that, it sounds superb. See video below.

Mag1.jpg

Unfortunately for me, my installer is tied up with other jobs so troubleshooting this myself at this time. Will update hopefully this weekend!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. corradoMR2

Ok, so after some research I came up with this setup and the drone is 80%+ eliminated !! :D:thumbup:

- The sound overall adds some nice additional depth and bass
    - Volume is increased over stock but not as loud as what I hear from Borla or Ark for instance.
    - You can hear the turbo a little now: "swosh" when throttle is released and "a faint Hellcat-like scream" under hard acceleration (not noticeable in video)
    - You hear some low burbles and crackles when decelerating (not noticeable in video)
    - Total parts was $300 Cdn

Check out the video.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. manny246

manny246 Canada Newish Member

make one for me and i'll come buy it ;) Thank you thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wilco

Wilco Canada Newish Member

Same here.. if the price was right. I installed the borla and didn't like it. Not much drone.. but a little to aggressive

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sean

Sean United States New Member

Corrado MR,

What type of borla mufflers (model) were you using? I did the $120 straight pipe muffler cut off and it drones like crazy.

10. corradoMR2

Not surprised you have crazy drone and it probably vibrates too like crazy at lower RPM.

My setup is two 14x4" Magnaflow Resonators (2.5" ID, 2.25" OD - Parts/pics above. I still have some drone between 1500-2400 rpm and to get slightly more sound-deadening, I'd get the larger oval 4x9x14" Magnaflow mufflers. Good luck.

11. Sean

12. Sean

I bought flowmaster super HP2's 12 inch 4 diamenter - they are a mid level loudness and drone, I'm hoping I don't have to add those funky helmhlotz resonators.

Draft saved Draft deleted