1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Creaking noise driver-side dash area?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by ERS, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ERS

ERS United States Member

Has anyone else noticed a slight creaking noise coming from the driver-side dash area? I have not been able to pinpoint the exact location yet. I doesn't appear to be associated with bumpy roads but rather just seems to come and go and is most noticeable on smooth, even surfaces...sounds a bit like creaking plastic. It is not extremely loud but it is annoying in a car I've found to be taunt and rattle-free (since rear hatch SB322 kit was installed to get rid of the horrible hatch noise).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spencer Steel

Spencer Steel United States Newish Member

I have hear this and it annoys me so much I almost always have music turned up. I'm hesitant to ask the dealership because I don't want them reaching around in my Stinger to find the issue haha. But a brand new $50k car shouldn't squeak like this. Keep me posted if you find it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ERS

ERS United States Member

I have an appointment tomorrow morning and will post any info I get. It is a rather strange noise because it is most noticeable at low speeds, on smooth roads, with the stereo off. Also, the "hatch noise" returned over the weekend when going overlarge bumps. Prior to the installation of the repair kit it was really bad and made that "clunk" sound over every expansion joint on the highway. I'm frustrated that the SB322 fix didn't take care of that problem completely.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

I have a new GT2 (~800 miles) with what sounds like the same problem (no pun intended), and occurring under the same conditions you describe. The only difference I would note is that I've so far assumed it was coming from the driver's door panel, but I honestly can't be sure. I know I've got a stethoscope somewhere, and I'm hoping to use it (with due caution) to isolate the source. I read somewhere that there's allegedly a known/reported issue with Kia regarding a loose wire under the dashboard, but I don't have any details on that. I've also been waiting for any updates to this "driver's door rattle" thread, so perhaps I'll cross-post there now, to bump it back to life.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dark_Knight GT

Dark_Knight GT United States Active Member

Have also experienced this, albeit intermittently. Can’t tell if it’s coming from the dash or door up by rear virew. It’s been absent for a couple of days. Maybe it’s rattled itself out/discovered a final resting place (whatever “it” is). Alternatively, it’s been warmer here (60s) and perhaps the plastics are more pliable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ERS

ERS United States Member

The exact location has me baffled...I’ve thought it was the door, near the dash, on occasion and then other times it appears to be nearer the steering column and even in the vicinity of the turn signal stalk. I’ve applied pressure to different areas and can’t get it to stop when it is making the noise and can’t replicate it it unless I’m driving slowly, like in a parking lot.

7. ERS

ERS United States Member

Update on the creaking noise in the dash area, the my dealership’s Service Manager rode with me and heard the noise, too. He was unable to pinpoint the exact location either. He has noted it on my records and is sending a query to KIA. It is a small thing but annoying in a car that is overall superb. On a positive note the “TSB for the TSB” on the hatch noise was applied to my Stinger and the clunking noise is totally gone, with no noise, even over very severe bumps.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

"TSB for the TSB" :D Do you have a number for that second one?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ERS

ERS United States Member

No, but my dealership’s designated Stinger mechanic was aware of additional communication concerning the hatch noise. I’m not sure if it is a fully new TSB or an addendum.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TJH

TJH Singapore Newish Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Thank you. Yes, that is the "how to" "do it yourself" fix for the issue. Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up... :)

12. ERS

ERS United States Member

Now that there are more Stingers out on the road, I wanted to revisit the issue of a creaking noise coming from the driver's side in the vicinity of the dash area. It has been extremely difficult to pinpoint but it is very pronounced and very annoying at low speeds (5-25 MPH) even over smooth surfaces, such as parking lots. It isn't coming from the doorframe, but rather further in toward the steering column. Due to my schedule, I don't have an appointment with my service department until the first week in April, so I'm interested in finding out if there are many others who have experienced this issue. It would be helpful for me to know if mine is a fairly isolated incident or is it more widespread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. musawi

musawi Bahrain Newish Member

Have this issue. Rarely hear it over smooth roads but definitely over humps and bumpy roads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PTMStinger

PTMStinger United States Newish Member

I have similar issue. Detected it immediately after I drove out of the dealership at night (10pm) and went on the free way. The sound is more like a squeak for my issue. It comes on constantly when it is the right condition. For mine, car needs to be cool, not under sun for a while already, and medium to high speed over bumpy portion. I was able to pinpoint it and also recorded it with a cell phone. Was very disappointment as this is a brand new car and all media stated it as very well built. Brought to dealer once, showed them the video, pointed to where it originates. In my case the sound is from the upper plastic trim that goes underneath the stitched leather portion over the whole instrument cluster. If we see the oval opening, it lies in the upper portion, the black plastic piece, in front of the clear plastic screen of the instrument cluster. If I press on it and release, it squeaks, the exact same sound that I am hearing, and when you go over bumps at high speed, it becomes constant and high pitched. If I apply pressure to that piece while the sound is there, it goes away. Now with this detailed explanation and description, the dealer still didn't fix it. They did their first test drive without me and stated they hear a noise but not from the dash, more the center console area. They stated they did some "tweaks". After hearing that I demanded a test drive together, and to my surprise, I didn't hear anything. Now two days of driving later, the sound is back. I noticed that when I left the car parked under the sun (as needed for work), the dash area heats up and when I press on the area, the sound is gone. So I think maybe during the dealership appointment, the car was left sitting awhile too under the sun and maybe that is why the sound was gone. Last night I pulled out of a garage from another work area and the noise was there, that is why in my situation it only applies when the car is room temperature (indoor). In total the car only have less then 180 mile on it. I love the car, but this aspect is very irritation and disappointing. I'm bringing it in tomorrow with the service department, we'll see. I'm also hoping as the car goes through the heated, cooled cycle, the plastic self equilibrates and hopefully the sound is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ERS

ERS United States Member

I have an appointment on April 3rd to address the issue and will print your post and share with the Stinger mechanic. I will let you know how it works out. It is minor in the scheme of things but very annoying in an otherwise excellent auto.

16. PTMStinger

PTMStinger United States Newish Member

(file showing the sound that I get, it is the high pitch squeak you are looking for, if you don't hear it, turn up the volume alittle and you will hear it)

Brought the car to the dealer this morning. Test drove with mechanic with him behind the wheel. He was able to hear the same sound. When asked if he knows what is causing it or where he said "I don't know, I have to look for it. You have to leave your car here." The dealer does not have any loaner car available so told me that most likely next week they can arrange something. Overall, I am not too confident about the fix even though the tech heard it. I have various reason and the following is my rant. The master technician was really grumpy when the service manager had him come out to test drive the car with me. Was not really receptive when I showed him where I think the problem is and the videos on my cell phone. Told me with an annoyed look, "I have to hear it with my own ear. Doesn't matter how many videos you took." Well, that is why I would like him the test drive the car with me. I was just trying to help since I am the one driving the car most of the time and knows more about the behavior of the issue versus him just going in blindly. He then complained about how the freeway is jammed now and we can't test drive. I told him that is fine, I can come back whatever time they think best and that is why I tried a different time today (7:30am versus 9:00am last time). We drove off and something in the back rattled, I know that is from stuff that is in the trunk and I told him not to worry about it. He complained that if I have stuff in the back, he can't diagnose. I told him just chill and we will hear the sound from the front. So feeling how he is, I offered to let him drive the car, which he immediately accepted and said yes that would make him diagnose. Didn't have a good time during the drive, immediately as we drive off, he was punching the gas and braking harder than usual. Finally, when he did it on the freeway on-ramp, I told him" Hey man, be a little easy on the car". He immediately fought back, saying he wan't doing anything. I stated calmly, "Well if you want, let's head back now." He looked annoyed and said he wanted to listen for the sound. So in this awkward silence on the freeway we heard the sound, he acknowledged it. As we are heading back he started to small talk. Asked me if I like the car, etc. As we pull in, he told me how busy he was, that he was in the court for Kia yesterday, and that he was giving the gas some punch to diagnose for the sound. Throughout the time, I feel like the Stinger is pretty new to him too, I feel like he is testing the car, like seeing what it could do.

I understand some may say I am overreacting, but if you are seating next to me, you will feel the unprofessionalism that was express. I can clearly feel he wasn't in a good mood when we started. And I think the explanation (about how busy he is, etc) at the end confirmed that he acknowledged he may have step over the line in the beginning. His answer to how he will be fixing the issue wasn't very assuring either. All in all, I just feel like the car will not be taken care off in a professional manner and possible being taken for a joy ride since now they have all the reason to keep the car and "test drive" under different condition to hear the sound. I fear about the issue not being fixed and other issues starting due to the process of taking panels apart.

Well, end of my rant and hope others don't have the same issue. Other than this issue, car has being great so far. I only have around 250 mile on it now.

17. ERS

ERS United States Member

Thanks for posting the video. Sorry about your dealership/mechanic issues. I consider myself lucky in that I have been able to establish a good relationship with dealership’s designated Stinger mechanic. He has been to 2 Stinger-specific schools/ training events that I know of and really seems to know his stuff. He has been receptive to information provided by Stinger Forum members that I’ve shown him in the past, so I’m anticipating that he will be this time. I’ve isolated the creaking to the same area you mentioned and heard it in your video. It will be interesting to see what solution he finds to address this issue. As I mentioned, my appointment isn’t until next Tuesday but I’ll let you know what happens.

18. Darren1556

Darren1556 Canada Newish Member

Any updates on this? I have the same issue but have yet to bring it in. Only 1000kms on the car

19. ERS

ERS United States Member

Took it in and after discussion with the mechanic, I was hesitant to have him tear into the dash. So I’ve put it on hold for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted