Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Coolant smell?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Adamdan, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I’ve smelled Coolant since my stinger was new. I notice it more when I’ve driven the car hard. I never smell it in the car but I can get a hint of it when I open the door or stand near the hood. I have not seen any leaks or loss of coolant. The car has 5000km on it now. Do you guys notice the same thing? My 2015 rubicon had a bit of a coolant smell as well and same with my genesis r spec v8. I’m guessing it’s just the way the coolant system works and it’s just the smell from the breather.

2. Joeygt

Joeygt Australia Newish Member

I’ve noticed the same thing with mine. I monitored it for a little while, but found no leaks or loss of coolant. I’ve done over 7500km and it seems to be less noticeable now. Or maybe I’ve just gotten used to it.
    I wouldn’t worry about it though.

3. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ive posted about this too.....no leaks...no nothing ,but my office is near the garage and I get whiffs of it even in here....when the car is run hard even more so....just 2 days ago the Wifey took it out....so shes pulling into the garage and I go open the door as she comes to a stop....its 45 degrees out and the auxiliary fan is running, and not only do I smell antifreeze,but freakin burnt rubber too! So I ask her whaats up at the grocery store, and why is there a burnt rubber smell coming off the car? She just giggled ...and said nevermind just get the groceries out of the car! Yes Dear :) Wash

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Jetstream

Jetstream United States Newish Member

Popped the hood after a short drive on a 3500 mile car after being told my car was making smoke during hard acceleration and thought hmm, smells like coolant. But, no sign of a leak. I didn’t check the condition of the oil, yet but 3500 miles is way too soon for a blown head gasket. Has anyone had similar problem at such a young age on the car? What did Kia do to solve?

5. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Stinger Enthusiast

My car and many other people that I have talked to have a bit of a coolant smell right after a drive near the front of the car. It seems to be just vaper through the breather of the coolant system. Both of my Genesis v8 sedans and my 2015 rubicon did the same thing. I read some of the newer coolants have a very strong smell. As long as your not loosing coolant you are probably ok. The smoke they saw could have been lots of thing. The stinger runs really rich at full throttle so that could be one thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

My best guess is stock turbo seals are just like any other stock turbo.. weak. That smoke is most likely a mixture of oil and coolant on that surface, thus the smell without a leak. I've noticed it occasionally as well and attributed it to hard driving and some seal bypass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jetstream

The heck... does this go away after a while?

8. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Spray your windshield washers and make sure that isn't what you are smelling. The factory fill WW fluid has a very strong smell that is very similar to that of glycol coolant.

9. Jetstream

Hmm. I had used them. I never thought to sniff the wiper fluid though. I was just correlating smell and smoke that the person following me to the shop had seen because the first place I went to in my mind was a dicked up head gasket...

10. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Trust me, you won't need to get out of the car to smell it - the smell is quite evident as soon as it sprays. Relief is only a few dirty windshields away ... :p

11. DiabloStinger

If it is turbo seals the smell doesnt go away without a new seal/turbo. The smoke from toasted seals will be very acrid and white/bluish out of the exhaust. It literally burns your nose and smells like nothing normal.

12. Jetstream

I noticed it smelled faintly of exhaust when I had -recirc- on.

13. DiabloStinger

That is nothing more than the wind blowing the wrong way.

14. Jetstream

I was going 75 mph

Draft saved Draft deleted