Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Conflicted about warranty

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by CrazyLikeaFox, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CrazyLikeaFox

CrazyLikeaFox United States Newish Member

Just bought at GT2 and I can't decide about the extended warranty to cover electronics from 36k miles to 100k , and bumper-to-bumper from 60k to 100k. Does anybody know Kia's record on how well they honor the warranty, and the track record of the electronics in the car? I'm likely to keep this car for 10+ years.

2. Aquadog

Aquadog United States Active Member

If you're going to keep it for 10+ years definitely get the extended warranty. I do believe you have some time though find out how much possibly up to three years I think . The longer you can wait the cheaper it will be I know you don't have to buy it at the same time he purchased The car . If they say you do check around. I have leased the last four cars that I've had and I have looked into the extended warranty through Kia and Hyundai long story short I need extended warranty or should we say bumper-to-bumper pretty much covers everything except Brakes, tires, and adjustments. Adjustments the only thing at the time that I could think of would have been alignment, but after joining this forum , and thanks to a lot of geer heads , I see that there is another adjustment ,I didn't realize that the lifters were solid lifters . Now I don't believe anywhere in the owners manual under service and maintenance requirements that does not seem to be a valve adjustment in the first hundred thousand miles stated that I could fine . So with that being said hopefully we can all make it hundred thousand plus . With that being said if it happens before then it will be cheap, but I do believe the bumper-to-bumper warranty would be well worth it if you're gonna keep the car for 10+ years . Once you start getting into the higher mileage 30,000 60,000 service required do your homework those aren't exactly cheap either. As long as you have the work done by a certified mechanic it will not affect the warranty. If they try to sell you a service warranty make sure it covers not just an oil change , read the fine print. If I was going to plan on keeping my GT2 for 10 years I would definitely purchase the bumper-to-bumper. Hope this gives you a little heads up good luck God bless be safe . The only thing the warranty won't be able to do is wipe that smile off your face the first hundred thousand miles .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

The warranty depends on the dealer I believe. Our dealer has always warranted everything on all the vehicles we had no questions asked. I have however heard horror stories from others

4. Aquadog

I don't know how much experience you have had with the dealership that you bought your stinger from. If this is the first time you have dealt with this dealership I'm sure upon signing the papers with the finance person they explain the bumper-to-bumper warranty to you, I strongly suggest that if you have any other questions about The bumper-to-bumper warranty that you talk to the service manager or a service writer ,preferably the one that has been there the longest , about any questions you have on the warranty. Make a list of the questions you have it will help you and the person that you talk to .

5. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

@CrazyLikeaFox, what extended warranty are you referring to? I haven't seen anything like that from KMA (Kia Motors America), so I'm assuming your dealer is pitching a third-party option?

6. Aquadog

No as a matter fact I just call the dealer to make sure that the warranty is through Kia it is a Kia factory warranty. I called because you had me second-guessing myself . I know this because back in 2012 when I least my SX and was asking about buying it at the end of the lease if I could get that bumper to bumper warranty they said yes I could , The longer you wait to purchase it the more you get off the price of the warranty. Asked the same question on our 2015 genesis that we leased , and the finance person told us that if we went ahead and bought it at the end of the lease not to pay more than $1500 for the bumper-to-bumper . The original price at purchase if you were to buy the bumper to bumper was $2400 .

7. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

Okay. Curious that my dealer didn’t offer it, but maybe that’s because I leased, and I didn’t mention my plans to do an early buy-out (currently in-progress). Thanks for confirming.

8. phxgt

phxgt United States Active Member

Other than impulse buy why would it be cheaper later? You're completely covered the first few years anyway.
    What am I missing here?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Aquadog

Yes if you leasing it they normally don't ask you or they won't ask you because you're on a lease and they know you're going to turn it in in three years. But I guarantee if you're going to buy it they're going to try to sell you everything under the sun . If you do lease I strongly suggest purchasing the radiant ride , covers small dings windshield chips ect. It's well worth it because it's not like the old days you just don't take it back to the dealer and turn it in before you turn it in they send some independent third-party out to inspect the car before you turn it in, and all those scratches and dings can add up to some serious change .

10. Aquadog

Good question . I really don't know I'll stick a maybe in here and say that after you decide to buy the car at the end of the lease which now has will say 36,000 miles on it they knock some off the original price of the bumper-to-bumper warranty . I'm sure that there is some Chyna in the house manufacturer guru number cruncher at figures all this out. After doing some research we decided to lease ours , because on the buying program they only gave you $700 off the sticker that's not to say you couldn't dicker and probably got another 2 to 3 grand off. On the lease program for the GT2 AWD we got a $7600 rebate . This is explained in another forum , it's called , lease then bye Out - contract explanation , very informative .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  11. Elleryjo

Elleryjo United States Member

Yes we purchased the extended warranty. Bumper to bumper for 10 years

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. PieceOfChum

PieceOfChum United States Member

I did too but now I am thinking I should just cancel it and save the $1600 I paid for it. I am still confused as to exactly what it will and will not cover I hate the language "normal wear and tear" that can mean anything at all. Also I have heard from others that they usually get out of suspension warranty work by saying you hit a pothole call your insurance. I am also confused about the 5/60k warranty I thought that also covered the electronics but others are saying that the electronics is only 3year/36k ugh confusion.

13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Exactly. Nobody planning to turn in a lease is going to be interested in an extended warranty..

14. PieceOfChum

Yea the electronics warranty is 3 year 36 k miles, I finally got time to start reading the manuals. Wow that is funny I don't recall my BMW X5 having a seperate electronics warranty I am pretty sure it was covered fully under the basic warranty.

15. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

On the whole, the Kia warranty is the best available. We have responsibility to fulfill the conditions of the warranty. For example, I just read that if you are driving in salty conditions (e.g. here in Utah during winter months, or driving down by the ocean), we are supposed to flush the underside of the vehicle with clean unsalted water on a weekly basis; and keep the drain holes free of obstructions; if we do not, then our anti-perforation warranty is void.

If you hook up a two-way radio, or a radar detector, or any other electronic auxiliary component, this could void your electronics/media warranty; Kia warns that such components can interfere with the car's systems, such as those that govern the engine, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. PieceOfChum

Oh I understand I think though that the warranty card is enlightening and I am just saying that I have not seen a seperation of electronics from the basic warranty yet by a manfuacturer. Also here in Mass no matter what exceptions a manufacturer puts like "can't plug in radar detector etc". The manufacturer would have to prove that the device caused the problem or they have to fix it. I am not picking on Kia it is still a great warranty but I may keep my extended Kia warranty just in case.

17. Aquadog

$1600 was that for a bumper-to-bumper warranty if I was you got a hell of a deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PieceOfChum

It was 1700 but cane witb 1 year free maintenance 2 oil changes, 2 tire rotations and one other thing I can't recall. So the maintenance is worth a $100 + so I deduct it from the 1700. Yes bumper to bumper warranty.

19. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Most folks aren’t paying attention to the electronics warranty as it isn’t mentioned in advertising. I’m fairly sure BMW and probably every manufacturer has a 12 month warranty on the electronics. They were trying to get me to buy a separate warranty for that when I for my BMW, some years back.

20. twig2121

twig2121 United States Member

Anyone else have warranty experience with stingers (or kia in general)? For example, I just purchased a chrysler pacifica (great, btw), but due to all the electronics, sensors, etc., I decided to purchased a lifetime protection plan, which is issued through Mopar (Chrysler). There are also third party offerings from the dealer, but they were shorter term.

I'm looking for something that can cover the electronics on stingers for 10+yrs. I realize protection plans only cover up to the cost of the vehicle so that in 20yrs when the vehicle's only worth $1000, they won't spend more than $1000 to fix something that's broken.

Draft saved Draft deleted