Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Cold Weather Starts

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by rocket23, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:58 AM.

1. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Ha anyone had this experience yet?
    Twice (for me) it took, what seems to me , an excruciating long time to start the car. Albeit we're talking a mere 5 -8 seconds of cranking before it starts......but they are the longest 5-8 seconds of my life I'll tell ya. Also is there a specific time before the car stops cranking and we dare try to start it again if it fails to start initially?

2. Grewzuff

Grewzuff United States Member

I have not had this problem. If you are parked outside over night the cold is hard on the battery. Could be the battery.

3. rocket23

nah She cranks over fast No issues there.......it just doesn't fire up as usual....only difference is a big drop in temperature near as I can figure.

4. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

It may not be priming enough fuel in the cold. When you go to start it next time, try to press the start button twice before hitting the brake pedal. First push is accessory, second is turning everything on, then push the start button and brake pedal. It might help prime the fuel pump a bit better

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rocket23

But the question remains, Has this happened to anyone else?? Reason behind the question is it already had a fuel rail recall done to it.So I'm curious about other stingers stuck in the cold.

6. Wan El Guapo

Wan El Guapo Canada Member

Never had this happen and I'm in Toronto and park outside often

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

I’m going into my 2nd Saskatchewan winter with my Stinger and have never experienced what the OP was describing. And we went through some bitterly cold weather last winter.
    Only suggestion would be to leave it with the dealer during the next cold snap and have them try starting it after the car spent the night outside.

8. rocket23

so far the 2 button press..(sounds like an N.B.A. play,lol)...has been working fine starts right up.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CKeeler

Good. Maybe talk to your local dealership and let them know the car isn’t priming correctly.

10. rocket23

so the fuel pressure should stay ''primed'' ,for lack of a better term, when the car is off?

11. PMB

PMB Canada Member

Not necessarily. Often somewhere around 2-6 hours after your car turns off, the emissions system in modern cars will perform a leak test on the fuel system, I believe this causes the fuel system to loose prime.

I was part of the BRZ club, and waking up the car so that the fuel pumps prime was necessary for a for 100% reliable starting for many members. I think big temperature has a lot to do with this issue. I think winter fuel can also help with this because of butane or something, I don't know the specifics, but it helps with volatility and vapour pressure.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. rocket23

Kinda starting to make sense....it only happens when there is a big change in temp......either way hot or to cold I'm inclined to say, yet the car would be on a 12 sometimes 24 hour break before start up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rocket23

zero issue's since I been using the press 2 times method.....and it's been down right ccccccold here lately

• Like Like x 1
  14. JAI-STINGER

JAI-STINGER United States Member

I wish we had some cold weather. Still using the A/C here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rocket23

lol, be careful what you wish for......old man winter hates oranges!!

16. CKeeler

Same here. A/C in the afternoon and heater in the evening

17. rocket23

people 'round here rarely praise the cold.......but it's better than sweating and have your nuts swing like a coupla walnuts in a sock!

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted