Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Cold idle slightly rough

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by GT2inSeattle, Sep 12, 2018.

1. GT2inSeattle

GT2inSeattle United States Member

Hey there everyone.. I wanted to get your thoughts on this. When I go to start my GT2 from cold (say, first thing in the morning or after it's been sitting idle until completely cool) I've noticed that the idle isn't totally smooth.. The sound is almost like a subtle 'miss' where I can hear that the engine didn't completely combust fuel when it should have. My only comparison is that I *never* heard that on my 2.0T 2012 Optima SX. Granted this is a new engine from KIA. But I wanted to compare other experiences from Stinger 3.3TT owners. Once the car is warmed up (even for a minute) it's smooth as silk. Just during that initial warmup I noticed that sound. If needed I can try to record it for people to hear.

Is this normal for the 3.3TT on warmup?

Thanks in advance.

2. Shockington

Shockington Norway Member

Mine does the same thing. Over 1500 RPM starts and it sounds a little rough. Give it 30 seconds and it smooths out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Active Member

Have that too! Makes it different from run of the mill cars where it is always consistent. Makes it Special like a high strung car lol..... nothing to worry about it runs fine when warm! Most high performance cars does that and runs well when warm. Its like missing a heart bit once in a few seconds during warm up. Notice after a 30mins drive the engine is extremely smooth and much quieter.

4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I remember when we were junior high (middle) school kids. My best friend went to Las Vegas to the Can Am race there. He got recordings of a bunch of cars in the pits idling and revving. The Ferrari was idling very unsmoothly, and I thought it didn't sound very good at all. While they were working on it, they'd periodically rev the engine, I guess to clear it out a bit. Then it would sound like a snarling beast. And it would idle better for a little while then start to run rough again, until they revved it several times.

5. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Mine does the same, sounds like it sputtering or miss fire. I guess its due to the rich mixture set on the ECU to warm up the engine. It goes away after a few seconds though.

6. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

Completely normal, gets slightly worse if you have colder plugs with a tighter gap as well.

7. Mr Skillet

Mr Skillet United States Active Member

Very normal cold start cycle, many modern cars do this mainly to warm up critical engine and emissions components. Timing adjusted to increase exhaust gas temps. AFR is also on the rich side, excess fuel being combusted in exhaust street also contributed to the louder and different sounding exhaust note during a cold start. Bmw and Porsche cold starts sounds like the engine ingested gravel and is systematically chewing it up angrilly, it's great.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GT2inSeattle

GT2inSeattle United States Member

Thanks guys.. I sorta thought that was the case, but it never hurts to ask. There's no doubt she runs great.. when I pull out and get on the road and flip the switch to "Sport" all the power in the world is right there. Best. Ride. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted