Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Changing drive modes while driving.

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Jimmer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Active Member

Sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere, but I was wondering. Does it hurt the Stinger's transmission, or anything else, if you switch drive modes while you are actually driving down the road? I know I can feel the switch happen when I go from Custom to Eco while driving (usually as I'm making my way to Smart mode), but should I just wait till I am not in motion to switch modes or does it not matter?

2. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Not at all, if it did, it wouldn't switch - like trying to put in park while moving (for GT2 DBW.) :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

JIMMER why sure you can switch on the fly...thats what its made to do...you did set up all your driving settings in the different mides? Wash

4. Jimmer

I knew it was possible to change modes while driving, I've done it many times, but because one can feel the obvious switch while doing so, I was just wondering if it was possible that could cause long term transmission issues if done a lot. Glad to hear it wont.
    The only settings I set up were the ones for custom mode.

5. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You’re feeling it downshift, your car does it a lot while driving normally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Active Member

Drive mode selection is not new tech and was available since early 90’s except in simpler parameter adjustment. If there is potential damage Kia would not have allowed the selection while driving and it should be explicitly indicated in the manual.

Kia is probably more worried than us as their warranty period is pretty lengthy. I will not be worried at all on the mode selection.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jimmer

Thanks to all.

Draft saved Draft deleted