Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Changed non-electronic shifter knob to Hyundai one

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by scy, Aug 2, 2019.

1. scy

scy United States Newish Member

I took a chance and swapped the non-electronic shift knob with a shift knob from a Hyundai Elantra/I30 N and N Line.

New shift knob fits and functions perfectly. The issues were:
    • The Elantra N shift boot is too small for Stingers with foot-brake. I reused the Stinger shift boot.
    • The new shift knob collar is too big for the Stinger shift boot. I had to trim about 0.3 inch from the top of the Stinger shift boot to fit the new shift knob collar. I used a glue gun to glue the Stinger shift boot to the new shift knob collar.
    Shift knob removal is straight forward. Pry shift boot from shift panel with fingers or use a trim removal tool. Pull shift knob straight up with lots of force. Be careful not to hit your face or the rear view mirror with the shift knob. Search on Youtube for Optima shift knob removal videos for various how-to videos.

Shift knob is a leather one from a 2019-2020 Hyundai Elantra/I30 N and N Line. Part numbers:

Shift knob: 46720G350RMW
    Shift boot: 84632G3130RMW

Price for both items was $53 shipped from Korea. Items were purchased on Ebay. You can also buy them from local Hyundai dealers.

I like the look of the new shift knob much better than the OEM T-knob. It helps that my last name begins with N. My guess is that most recent non-electronic Kia/Hyundai shift knob will fit the Stinger. Your mileage will vary. Whatever shift knob you buy, you should buy the matching shift boot because you will need the shift boot collar.

20190802_190516 (Large).jpg 20190802_194630 (Large).jpg 20190802_194709 (Large).jpg 20190802_195628 (Large).jpg s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 8
  2. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Dang, that looks great! I HAVE to do that soon!

3. scy

Here is Ebay seller I bought the shift knob and shift boot from. Other sellers only sell the shift knob and their prices were much higher.

Untitled2.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

How easy/hard was it to get them swapped?

6. scy

Not too hard. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's about a 2. The most difficult part is removing the shift boot from the shift panel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

I like the idea. I might have to take a look at the other shifters available. That one you got seems like it's a bit tall?

8. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

youre a saint

9. Chyoon

Chyoon United States Active Member

Thank you for your boldness and trying this out for all of us!

How does the height feel? Really want to pull to trigger on this but worried about this being a tad tall as seen in your pic (vs the original shift knob).

10. turboAWD

How does it feel in your hand? I'm imagining it feels much more like my Legacy GT, which felt better with a more manual-like knob..

11. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

Oh hell yeah!

12. scy

The new shift knob is 3 7/8 inch high from the edge of the front storage tray. I didn't measure the height of the old shift knob so I can't tell the height difference. Maybe you can compare the height with your OEM T-knob and tell us.

Height is good for me. Better than the OEM T-knob. Much more "sporty."

20190806_192048 (Large).jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. scy

Yes sir. A lot like a manual shifter. I was never a fan of the OEM T-knob with the thumb button. The OEM shifter reminds me of older Camry shift knob.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Chyoon

Thanks for your response.. based on my pics, it looks like roughly 3.5 inches from the edge.

So since you had to shave some off, you can't revert back to the OEM, right? 20190806_214057.jpg 20190806_214057.jpg 20190806_214032.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. scy

I trimmed about 0.3 inch from the top of the OEM shift boot to fit the larger shift knob collar. I did not trim the shift boot until I was sure that the new knob worked. I think I would have been able to go to back to the OEM shift knob even with the trimmed shift boot.

But I did break the little plastic tab on the OEM shift knob that holds up the shift knob collar when I was trying to remove the OEM shift knob collar. I probably would have to use a hose clamp or zip tie to hold up the OEM shift knob collar had I had to go back to the OEM T-knob.

MOBIS_46720_J5100YBR2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chyoon

I see. Gotcha.

I just ordered one. Excited for the new look! Wish me luck and thank you.

17. turboAWD

I ordered one too.. Definitely like the looks of it, and I think I'll like the feel..

18. Hapa88

Hapa88 United States Member

Awesome! Glad someone pulled the trigger. I have another thread here looking at the 2020 Telluride/2020 Soul/2019 Forts shift knob but I can’t find the part number out there.

I also found another possible alternative and that’s the 2016-2018 Optima/Sportage shifter but haven’t pulled the trigger on that one either. Part for that one is 46720-D4200WK and you can find them on eBay with or without the leather boot for $30-$40.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  19. scy

The 2019 Forte / 2020 Soul / 2020 Telluride shift knob part number is 46720M6110. I looked into that shifter before I bought the Elantra N line one. I didn't want a shifter with a thumb button.

I also looked into the Sonata shifter with part number 46720C2300.

The Kia/Hyundai shift knobs have a clip inside the shift knob. This clip latches/locks onto two grooves that are cut on the shifter stem. If a new shifter doesn't lock onto the groove, just measure and then file new grooves to fit the new shift knob.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. fossilcreek

fossilcreek United States Newish Member

I'm in for one as well, thanks for the write up!:thumbup:

Draft saved Draft deleted