kia stinger store

Cellphone gets warm on cordless charger pad

Silent Knight

Didn't see this mentioned - but does anyone else find their cellphone gets mighty toasty while chargin' on the cordless pad in the dash? I had mine chargin' for an hour or two this mornin' while driving and it was really quite hot. Didn't hurt the phone, but I'm wonderin' if this is normal.

ChaneRZ

Stinger Enthusiast
Not normal if it is hot. Warm is okay.

Silent Knight

Not normal if it is hot. Warm is okay.
It's inbetween warm and hot I'd say. Didn't have the heater on...in fact had the AC going and sunroof open. Guess I'll keep an eye on it in the future.

ChaneRZ

Stinger Enthusiast
Hopefully it was just a one time thing. I don’t use the wireless charger built in. I have a case with a popsocket on.

Silent Knight

Make sure the rear air vents are set to cold . There doesn't seem to be much insulation at all on the rear ducts and if the rear temp is set to warm, the center console and wireless charger area gets hot. .
Good to know, thanks. I'll check that out. :thumbup:

Silent Knight

Hopefully it was just a one time thing. I don’t use the wireless charger built in. I have a case with a popsocket on.
I may just run a charger wire to the rear charger port if the heat becomes an issue. It's a slow charge anyways...I've gotten used to a fast-charge at home usually.

Danum Alba

Newish Member
This has been mentioned in a few places, usually caused by the rear vents blowing warm air, just move the rear temperature wheel to cool, I've had this in several cars, in my Saab Aero, the air con blowing cool air would chill a can of coke in central storage. Saab did have a feature where you could open a vent into the glovebox to actually keep its contents chilled.

Vince

Silent Knight

This has been mentioned in a few places, usually caused by the rear vents blowing warm air, just move the rear temperature wheel to cool, I've had this in several cars, in my Saab Aero, the air con blowing cool air would chill a can of coke in central storage. Saab did have a feature where you could open a vent into the glovebox to actually keep its contents chilled.

Vince
Thanks, I'll be sure to check the rear vents. I don't typically have passengers in the rear seats, so shouldn't be a prob having to constantly check it.

21Hemispheres12

Newish Member
Pretty normal for phones to get hot with wireless charging. I personally turned my wireless charger off so I can just plug my phone in and use CarPlay while it sets on the pad. I hate cords running everywhere so with a black cord you can’t even notice it’s plugged in.

Danum Alba

Newish Member
Pretty normal for phones to get hot with wireless charging. I personally turned my wireless charger off so I can just plug my phone in and use CarPlay while it sets on the pad. I hate cords running everywhere so with a black cord you can’t even notice it’s plugged in.

This is very true, but my phone doesn't have wireless charging and wasn't plugged in to USB but was pretty hot as was the pad, found on here about the air vent setting, not been hot since.

You could use this to your advantage, by setting the rear to very cool, it may actually keep the phone cool when actually charging or being used for CarPlay/Android Auto.

Vince

TehYeti

VT
My phone definitely gets warmer than it should (even w/ rear vent set to cold). It also seems to keep charging after my phone has hit 100% GF has a Hyundai Tucson w/ wireless charging, and the charging LED will switch from amber to green once phone hits 100%. Is ours supposed to do the same? I have never seen anything other than an amber light on mine.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Mine gets very hot so I stopped using it. Not worth the risk. I've used other wireless chargers in other vehicles and never had my phone hot to the touch. I don't wanna destroy my phone or have it catch fire lol! :p

Mesmorino

Thanks, I'll be sure to check the rear vents. I don't typically have passengers in the rear seats, so shouldn't be a prob having to constantly check it.

In the Stinger the ducts for rear ventilation run underneath the wireless charging pad and centre console (and appear to be poorly insulated), so if you have the rear set to heat, the ducts will heat up the wireless charging pad, whether or not you have wireless charging on. They will also heat up the cup holders.

Th solution is to set the rear to cool. Turning off the vents won't help either, that just closes the grille. You have to set the dial to cool.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
In the Stinger the ducts for rear ventilation run underneath the wireless charging pad and centre console (and appear to be poorly insulated), so if you have the rear set to heat, the ducts will heat up the wireless charging pad, whether or not you have wireless charging on. They will also heat up the cup holders.

Th solution is to set the rear to cool. Turning off the vents won't help either, that just closes the grille. You have to set the dial to cool.
That's not good lmfao!

Silent Knight

That did the trick...thanks.

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
Mine gets VERY hot (iphone 12 mini) if it's both plugged into carplay AND charging wirelessly at the same time. To the point that it once stopped working and displayed "the phone is too <damn> hot".
If either of the 2 functions is turned off, the phone will only get warm.

In its defence, I keep both Waze running in the background and personal hotspot ON for the car's navigation to have access to live traffic. And it is using 5G. I did expect that the phone would automatically stop using the wireless charging when it's plugged into the USB but it doesn't seem to be the case. A physical button for the wireless charging would be amazing. However, since I need to put the car in P to change the setting I mostly keep it OFF.

*The old iphone XS was the same.

Mesmorino

Mine gets VERY hot (iphone 12 mini) if it's both plugged into carplay AND charging wirelessly at the same time. To the point that it once stopped working and displayed "the phone is too <damn> hot".
If either of the 2 functions is turned off, the phone will only get warm.

In its defence, I keep both Waze running in the background and personal hotspot ON for the car's navigation to have access to live traffic. And it is using 5G. I did expect that the phone would automatically stop using the wireless charging when it's plugged into the USB but it doesn't seem to be the case. A physical button for the wireless charging would be amazing. However, since I need to put the car in P to change the setting I mostly keep it OFF.

*The old iphone XS was the same.

That's very odd, it shouldn't try to charge from both sources. My Galaxy S9+ only does one at a time. I have wireless charging on, and I always plug the phone in for Android Auto and leave it in the cubby but the wireless charging light doesn't come on.

The phone will get warm though, especially if it's charging from 15% or something low, and I've got navigation going but it doesn't overheat unless I've forgotten to turn the rear vents to cool (usually because I've been carrying people and they've been fiddling with the dial)