Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

CEL on for a P061B Code

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by RobertE, Dec 3, 2018.

1. RobertE

RobertE United States Member

I thought it would be best to start a thread about this issue just in case someone has experienced this it before or does sometime in the future.

I have a Stinger GT1 AWD with 3700 miles. The other day, I was driving in Sport on the highway wot and took it up to about 120 mph. I eased off the accelerator for about 2 or 3 seconds and while the RPMs were still high at about 4,500 rpms, I feathered the throttle. Then all of a sudden the the cel came on and the transmission went into limp mode. Since the transmission went into limp mode, I kept the car rolling until I can get over into the emergency lane.
    I ran the vehicle diagnostics and it said there was an issue with the Engine Control System (not much help).
    I turned the car off and turned it back on and the transmission did come out of limp mode but the cel remained on.
    I took it to Autozone to read the code and it came back as P061B.
    Now I'm at the Kia Service Department and my car has been in for over 4 hours. The guys at the desk says that the techs are discussing with Kia on what to do with the car. I guess it must be a really huge problem since they are in contact with someone higher up.
    I'll be sure to update the thread with the outcome. Just thought I'd share.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

could also be they just don't know how to fix or diagnose the issue

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ruturaj

Ruturaj United States Active Member

True. Repair shops, lawyers and dealers lie a lot.

4. Doel

I meant more that they were talking to Kia because they were stumped at the dealership lol

5. Ruturaj

Ruturaj United States Active Member

Lol. That can happen too. Once my car was in for repair because my ABS wasn't working. So they said that their experts were looking at my car last few hours and can not find the problem, while I could see my car with no one looking at it for last few hours. Finally it was a broken sensor, I did the same job a year later (didn't knew it was same issue), took me 10 mins with scanner.

6. RobertE

RobertE United States Member

Hey guys, sorry for the late update but here's what happened:
    The guys at service did a multi point inspection and found a "pinched" green wire in the fuse box. They were instructed by Kia to repair the wire and reset the computer. They did just that and drove the car for 10 miles. The code didn't come back and they said the car is driving as designed.
    To be honest, I don't think the green wire had anything to do with it. I understand if it was disconnected, but pinched? Sounds like a push off to me. But anyways I got the car back and haven't experienced the issue since. Maybe just a one off thing. But anyways I'll keep you guys informed if the issue occurs again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Doel

if the "pinching" was severe enough it would absolutely affect something, hopefully that's all it was

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted