Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

CarPlay - intermittent crackling / popping sounds when playing audio

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by dlsimon, Aug 16, 2018.

1. dlsimon

dlsimon United States New Member

Not sure if this is limited to my car / phone / connection, but I've noticed that when my iPhone is connected and using CarPlay - the audio will sometimes revert to a feed that has a lot of cracks and pops along with the song. For example, I could be listening to audio for 10 minutes without an issue, and then I'll hear a small pop and then all audio after that point in my playback will have a lot of crackling and popping. When this happens, I'll disconnect my cable and plug it back in - everything is fine once reconnected and playback starts back up (when I disconnect the cable, I've tried both from the usb connection to the car and also from the lightning connection to the phone - both fix the issue).

This is on the 7 speaker configuration on the regular GT model. Using an iPhone SE with an apple-branded cable. Cable appears to be in good shape.

2. Get Stung

Get Stung United States Active Member

I read this just the other day and today it happened. Doesnt happen on android which I have, happened with my daughters 8plus. Just reminds me again why I will never own apple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dlsimon

dlsimon United States New Member

As a test, when this happened again yesterday, I tried flipping over to the Radio tuner and then back to CarPlay (without unplugging my phone's cable). That fixed the crackling. That would eliminate the cable as being the problem.

4. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

Ooh gotta love a mystery! Maybe the jack in the phone is bad?

5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Hmm... Had a similar experience in a car the other day but this was when switching from music to maps, it cut out during the switch and continued playing. It's not an Apple issue as that doesn't happen in my Optima and I use it every day for music and navigation. With all the audio hiccups I have been reading here, I think it has to do with the head unit.

7. StingEm

StingEm United States Active Member

Yeah, it’s a CarPlay thing and it’s total B.S. that Apple hasn’t fixed it yet. It started on the iOS 11.3 upgrade and apparently is still an issue in the newest iOS 12 betas too. This problem is happening across all kinds of CarPlay devices (not just Hyundai / Kia).

The fix is to leave the phone unlocked (turn auto-lock off in the settings). The cracklings happen after the phone is locked for 5-10 seconds.

8. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

I dont connect my phone, just use a usb for music and phones hands free, no issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dochidalgo

Dochidalgo Mexico Active Member

You want to clean the jacks and apply pressurized air from a can that you can buy in a electronic store... and clean the USB and the connector holes.

10. Waynerm002

I hear what you are saying but I’ve not experienced this in my Optima which has CarPlay nor other vehicles I test drove and tested it (except the Stinger, so far). Let’s hope they get it sorted soon.

11. Sasben

Sasben United States Newish Member

I literally just noticed this yesterday. Google Play on iPhone X and if I swapped source and back again, it would be resolved for 5-10 minutes.

Comes up again on song swaps after a few moments.

The songs are all on cache and I can airplane mode to play them.

Removing cabling and putting back again also resolves for 5-10 mins.

12. Dana K

Dana K United States New Member

I have the same problem in my new Acura RDX 2019. CarPlay audio plays fine for a while, then I hear a small pop and audio cuts out intermittently for a few seconds after that. I have noticed the same problem on an iPhone X and iPhone XS. I am running iOS 12 on both phones

13. Kyle Vallade

Kyle Vallade United States Newish Member

I started to have an issue occur and I'm on Android. Whenever plugged in and using Android Auto, it will sync up and then eventually disconnected and/or auto-reconnect over and over. I usually just keep it plugged into the chargeport now and run bluetooth. It could be something with my phone (Galaxy S9) but nonetheless KIA will be taking a look at the software next week to see if there is an update of some sort.

14. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

GT2 with Apple CarPlay, iPhone X with IOS12 and had a audio cut out (similar to buffering). No crack/pop, just a cutout for a split second.

Bluetooth seems perfectly fine.

15. Waynerm002

I was switching from Comfort to Sport to Custom and I got garbled audio. Switched to radio and back and it works fine, moved from custom to sport and it came back. I’m thinking it has something to do with how the electronics is integrated. Going to have this checked on my next service.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GronkSoyFiesta

GronkSoyFiesta United States Member

Same for me. Switching drive modes. That makes me believe this is a Kia problem, not an Apple one.

Draft saved Draft deleted