1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Cargo LED how to remove?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by MackyGio, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MackyGio

MackyGio Canada Active Member

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the cover for the LED bulbs in the cargo area. I have some LED strips I want to put in that I usually do with my other vehicles but the one the kia seseems to have no latch for me to access the bulb. I checked the manual and all it says is to bring it into the dealer. If someone can kindly shed some light on this matter that would be great. Thank you .

Attached Files:

2. niko

niko United States Active Member

Shouldn’t be hard to do I’ll take a look at it and get back to u

• Like Like x 1
  3. MackyGio

Much appreciated .I had tried prying the black housing as well as the bunk housing to no avail. It did not have slits to open like other trunk bulbs in other makes. No sure if this is behind the lining or not. Thanks again .

4. Driver

Driver Australia Member

I'm also looking at doing this.

Workshop manual says to pry the LED lens cover out from the surrounding molding with a flat-blade screwdriver or similar from one end.

However, a potentially bigger issue is that these lights are being electronically driven, so you'll need to make sure your new lights don't draw a higher current because the car's electronics can detect this for the luggage lamps (amoung other things), as per the workshop manual...

I can't see any mention of what this actual/programmed current limit spec is.

I think the safest way around this will be to wire a relay in to the existing trunk lamp; which in turn will switch a separate (more powerful) circuit for my additional trunk LED strips. Hopefully the minimal current required to drive the relay won't trigger the over-current detection then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MackyGio

Would be great if you can take a few pictures and get a manual going. I had attempted to remove the lens cover without removing the panel and unfortunately it did not work. It ended up scratching the cover so I gave up as I was concerned it will snap if I pryed it more. I'm using some led strip lights from eBay. Not sure of what their draw rate is. It uses 18 3 emitter 5050 smd led chips. If it's doable without triggering I might give it a try and pry it out lol.

6. Driver

Driver Australia Member

My other idea is to put a a tilt sensor/relay inside the tailgate, & LEDs mounted on the inside of the tailgate. Then when it opens fully; the tilt-switch will trigger the lights; upon closing lights go off. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MackyGio

That's interesting. I attempted the picture you had attached. It did not work. Not sure if there's a difference between Australian and Canadian models for the cargo light. I might have been using the wrong screw driver perhaps. But thanks for that photo. If I were to draw too much power what's the worse that can happen if it's electronically driven?

8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club!

If there's no dedicated fuse, you blow circuit in the ECU.

9. Driver

Driver Australia Member

I think you'd have to do something real silly to blow it up entirely :)

There's a 10A fuse (F4) for all the inside lights; but the actual 'light switch' circuitry will sense an over-current situation, then shutdown that output & generate a fault code accordingly.

But there's no mention of any individual lamp circuit ratings or programmed tolerances/limits.

10. SOCAL2.0

SOCAL2.0 United States Member

Do you guys have left and right side cargo lights?

11. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

I read it as... "...left or right side cargo lights". :rofl:

12. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Yes, both on AU models.

13. SOCAL2.0

Thanks mine came with only passenger side working but both units were installed but only one electrically hooked up. Asked my dealer and was told only one side should be working!

14. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Your dealer is full of sh!t.

4A00B97B-215D-4AB6-B0C5-C496DE736291.jpeg 8FD970FC-107C-4F87-8A17-13D4E95C2E29.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SOCAL2.0

Thanks for such a fast response. I just had a body shop hook it up and now its just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted