Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Car problems

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Mhol, May 25, 2018.

1. Mhol

Mhol United States Member

I have a premium AWD Stinger with the driver assist package. Today I was in traffic and the car just turned off. The engine stopped and everything shut down. I have had the car since March and have put on 9,800 Miles. The car started back up after 3 attempts. After work I made it home fine. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone had similar issues?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kickin Kiaster

Kickin Kiaster United States Newish Member

Well that's not good! Hopefully the dealer can pinpoint the fault. I have the same spec car - in white - but just 800 miles. So, no I have not had any issue like this.
    Unless we can call that darn auto start stop a 'fault'! I keep forgetting to turn it off, then I get home and it shuts the car down just as I'm putting it in park - only to have it fire right back up. So I can just turn it back off!!

Please let us know how you make out. Maybe someone else can provide a little guidance here for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mhol

I will keep everyone posted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

Interesting. If this were a vehicle that was a few years older I'd suspect a connection at the battery. I've had that happen with one that had replaceable terminals that were screwed in. One wasn't tight. Yes, do keep us posted!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mhol

The dealer could not find anything wrong. They said that I would have to wait to see if it happens again. No joy...unfortunately I will have to wait..

6. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Member

Was there any symptom previously? There are many possibility but most common for sudden stall and difficulty in starting could be due to cam or crank angle sensor. Do start from there first.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dethstr

Dethstr United States Newish Member

You may also want to have the fob transmitter and receiver checked. Had that issue with a Cadillac and the car wasn't recognizing the fobs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mhol

No symptoms prior. It was a hot day. I drove it for about 25 minutes, it sat for an hour and then I drove it for 20 minutes when the problem started.

9. Mhol

I will check on that also. Thanks for the tip.

10. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Member

Best is to send in to check for any fault code captured as such issues are usually sensor related and quite easy to diagnose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BAM

BAM United States Member

Yes this happened to me a week ago. I was at a red light, engine was in stop mode automatically. A msg came up saying manually turn vehicle on. I pushed the start/stop button a few times before it would turn on. I called the dealership, they had not heard of this happening, so I waited a few days to see if it happened again, guessing the dealership would not find anything. Thankfully it has not happened again so far.

12. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Diagnosis for fault code as advised above & Dealer should hit factory reset to reboot computer may also fix a glich in the system.

13. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I did that a few times as well, until I realized that after it 'auto stops' when parking, you can just press the 'Stop' button - the car will automatically shift to park as part of its normal shutdown processing (seat and wheel movements, etc.), without doing a restart. :thumbup:

14. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Please tell me the dealer ran an ODB2 report? An unusual shutdown should have generated an error.

ETA:
    Look into this. www.automatic.com
    I’ve had one in my cars since the first one. I never had an issue, so far, that it had to report on but... some day. It would have been great if this trapped the error as it happened. It does other stuff too obviously but it may be of help. My only gripe is it’s visible on the Stinger it was well hidden on my other cars.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. Mhol

The dealer stated they ran the reports and nothing came up. He also said it has new technology in it that they are still getting to know. This has not happened to me again.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted