1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
  2. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Canadian maintenance schedule

Discussion in 'Canada Stinger Forum' started by WhoIsHomer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. WhoIsHomer

WhoIsHomer Canada Newish Member

We just bought a kia Sedona and I was surprised to see that it needs service every 6,000km. Seems very low. Does the stinger also require maintenance every 6,000km in Canada?

2. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Yup

3. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Kia has recommended service schedules for both 'Normal' and 'Severe Usage'. One of the catchalls for 'Severe Usage' in Canada is driving on salted roads or in 'very cold weather'.

4. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

6,000 km or 6 months, whichever comes first, is the guidelines I received. I'd just used the km as you can program that into the car and it'll remind you for your next oil change.

5. IamTHEvilONE

IamTHEvilONE Newish Member

Odd, my UVO and dash service from my dealer is set to 12k and I'm in southern Ontario.

6. Nexitus

Nexitus Canada Member

Huh?

According to the manual here, its every 12-months or 10,000 km

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. IamTHEvilONE

IamTHEvilONE Newish Member

Agreed that's what it says. Just saying it's odd. No idea how to actually change it without contacting UVO/Kia.

8. Nexitus

Nexitus Canada Member

You can change it through the center display -> settings... option at the bottom. The menu is called "Service" I believe, then you can reset and adjust your maintenance schedule.

Not sure if that syncs to the car, but I assume it should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Arnie War

Arnie War Canada Active Member Sustaining Member +

Yes that is correct in part , but it seems interesting about driving is severe conditions which what Canadian drivers drive in lol just saying:)

10. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

Just had my second service yesterday at 15500km. Service manager said I'm fine for changing oil/service schedule anywhere between 6K km and 8K km without any issues to the car or to the warranty. He said driving 10K between oil changes isn't recommended, nor does it fit within Kia's severe conditions requirement. So I will change oil (or service) at 7500 km increments.

11. Nexitus

Nexitus Canada Member

Where did you end up going for your service?

12. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

Richmond.

13. PMB

PMB Canada Member

Everyone should be looking at page 7-14 of the Owner's Manual, for Kia's recommendations.
    I think the following driving conditions covers just about every Canadian if not all year round, at least in the winter:
    A-Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 8 km (5 miles) in normal temperature or less than 16 km (10 miles) in freezing temperature.
    D-Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
    K- Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

So, you should be following "Severe Usage Conditions" which state that oil and filter should be replaced every 5,000km or 6mo (whichever comes first). The above noted recommendations are Kia's and do not represent my own opinion.

Edit to be concise and more precise.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

I’ll stick with every 8k for my service intervals. 6k is just ridiculous.

15. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Not to mention 5Km right? I go with every 4K miles; 6Km is just under that, and 8Km is almost a thousand miles beyond that. Either one is just fine.

16. PMB

PMB Canada Member

Kia Canada should really sort all this out. Manual says 5,000km, the car service interval is programmed for 6,000km, and the UVO app (phone app) is hard coded for 10,000km. Almost all oil and maintenance manuals are set for 5,000miles (8,000km) for severe usage, and 8000miles (12,800km) for normal usage. Not to mention that synthetic and some synthetic blends are sitting at 10,000miles (16,000km)!!!

Stinger 3.3T calls for 5w-30 GF-4 or above which is almost certainly a synthetic blend, especially if you're buying low NOACK (which you should for DI engine). So in Canada, at least in the summer, Canadians might be tricked into changing their oil up to 3 times too often.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lucif3r

lucif3r Canada Active Member

I just had mine changed at 11000km. This was my 2nd oil change. Will do one every 6000km from now on.

18. PMB

PMB Canada Member

Edit: Quoted Myself instead of edit.... oops

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  19. Arnie War

Arnie War Canada Active Member Sustaining Member +

Once I get my next oil change , I will run it every 10 k with 100% synthetic 0 w 30 , race oil which i already have in my engine he he

20. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Which oil? Is it API compliant? Hate to have a 10 year powertrain warranty voided by non API oil.

Draft saved Draft deleted