kia stinger store

Can the transfer case oil be changed?

GNS

Hey guys, I read somewhere that the transfer case on the Stinger does not have a drain plug, which seemed very odd to me. Has anybody looked underneath the car or know if there is a drain plug? Basically, if I'm going to buy a Stinger GT, I will want to maintain the transmission and AWD / diffs.

The manual says that the
  • transmission fluid is changed at the 60k mile mark
  • rear diff oil every 72k miles (or 36k miles if there is a Limited Slip Diff)
  • front diff oil at 72k miles
However, I don't see any entry for servicing the transfer case, yet page 8-8 lists the recommended oils for the transfer case (listed as "Transfer Oil (AWD) - Shell TF 0870B.

What am I missing? Is the transfer case non-serviceable?

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
upload_2019-4-18_5-57-24.png

The service manual is pretty clear that you should NOT change the transfer case oil.
It is clear that there is no drain plug.
The repair procedure even says that if you have a problem with the transfer case oil, you should replace the entire assembly.

I assume the conditions within the transfer case, shear and temperature, are very easily on the fluid.

GNS

Thanks for the replies, all. I know now it's the same unit as the xDrive on the F30 BMWs, and those transfer cases USED to have a drain plug but the newer ones don't for some reason.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

GNS

^ I didn't know that...well at least the engineers anticipated it. I wonder how involved a transfer case swap would be - how much labor is involved + the cost of the part itself.

There is an entire service manual posted online that is very interesting and useful.

Or you can order a service manual from Kia for a one year subscription for $1500. Many people would prefer to use the manual someone posted online for free.

The procedure to replace the transfer case looks pretty easy. But I hope it is never necessary. I am sure it would be a very expensive part.

Per the book - - Only noteworthly things to replacing the transfer case are to replace the driveshafts with same holes lined up as before, otherwise vibrations.
And use a floor jack to lower the assembly, because it is probably heavy.

GNS

There is an entire service manual posted online that is very interesting and useful.

Or you can order a service manual from Kia for a one year subscription for $1500. Many people would prefer to use the manual someone posted online for free.

The procedure to replace the transfer case looks pretty easy. But I hope it is never necessary. I am sure it would be a very expensive part.

Per the book - - Only noteworthly things to replacing the transfer case are to replace the driveshafts with same holes lined up as before, otherwise vibrations.
And use a floor jack to lower the assembly, because it is probably heavy.

I went looking for it and it was literally in the sticky above. Saved a copy of it anyway, just in case.

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
Thanks for the replies, all. I know now it's the same unit as the xDrive on the F30 BMWs, and those transfer cases USED to have a drain plug but the newer ones don't for some reason.

It's the same t-case that's in the Bimmers??

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
Interesting. I guess that's a good thing. I work in parts at a BMW dealer and haven't come across any defective or bad T/C units on any of the F30's.

GNS

Interesting. I guess that's a good thing. I work in parts at a BMW dealer and haven't come across any defective or bad T/C units on any of the F30's.

Found this video on the F30 TC and how this guy managed to change the fluid on it. Skip to 7:40 to see how he manages to use a syringe setup to remove the 'lifetime' oil.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
10 year powertrain warranty FTMFW!

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
What's the warranty up there?

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
yuck

Ruturaj

1000 Posts Club!
Seattle, WA
I trust manuals for minimum intervals (for new cars) like oil change every 6k miles. But there is no thing as lifetime fluid unless lifetime of a car is 10 years/100k miles. I am planning to change front, rear differential oil, transmission fluid at 60k miles. Might end up doing transfer case oil too now. Don't care if warranty covers it. I have seen difference in the car with transmission fluid change. I would mostly keep car till 120k miles anyhow.

rmod

Newish Member
Changed the transfer case fluid today on the G70 (same part number for the transfer case).
I used Ravenol DTF-1. I could not find the recommended Shell TF-0870B. Interestingly the Ravenol label says it is suited for Genesis / Stinger 3.3T.

Procedure to replace the fluid is straight forward:

a) Gather all the required tools and the oil. (14mm, 17mm sockets and 10mm hex for the fill plug)
b) Support the transfer case (floor jack)
c) Remove the transmission cross brace
d) Remove the fill bolt
e) Suck out the fluid (I used a syringe with a piece of brake line)
f) Refill till overflows and replace the fill bolt.

I was able to remove ~450ml of fluid from the transfer case but was able to put back ~600ml.

The fluid that I removed looked good. Yes it was dark, but there were no particles or burnt smell. (The car has ~131K kms)

I did a 30km test drive after (town and highway), no codes or lights came up.

BTW, I did not notice any change in the way the car drove.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 15
kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!