Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Can Someone Explain Torque?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by RJStinger, Jun 9, 2018.

1. RJStinger

RJStinger United States Member

I keep on seeing on multiple reviews of the GT how the Torque kicks in very early. One review was explaining why the GT2 beats a mustang with much higher HP in a quarter mile race but then looses over the longer run.

I kinda understand what the torque is but I don't understand why other carmakers also don't make the Torque kick in much earlier (dunno if that makes sense)? Is it bad for the engine?

2. RVance

RVance United States Member Sustaining Member

The twin turbos help achieve maximum torque at low rpm, which is great for the relatively small displacement engines of today. It is not bad for the engine. Naturally aspirated, non-turbo/blown engines can be tuned for low end power (like my 1989 5.0), or lots of power across all rpm bands (like a Ferrari 4 cammer). BTW, a new Mustang should beat the Stinger by about a second in the quarter mile. It's a beast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 67GP

67GP Australia Newish Member

HP is how Fast you hit the wall & Torque is how Far you'll take the wall... sorry couldn't help it

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Horsepower is the total power output of an engine, while torque measures the “turning/torquing ability” of the engine. Practically, torque is a better measurement of how quickly your car will accelerate, while horsepower (relative to weight) is a better measure of your car's top speed. (Not my words, taken from other informative source)

5. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Moar is better

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

Low rpm torque also means low rpm horse power (hp is just the work/ application of torque through rpm). Broader hp band can be faster than a higher peak hp. Plus the Stinger seems to be little under rated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member Sustaining Member

In simple, practical terms, torque determines acceleration and horsepower determines maximum speed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Moar?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SEA Stinger

Maybe that means more, in a loud way? (More+Roar=Moar)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AV8R

Spellcheck 101 lol like moaderator ! :rofl:

11. SEA Stinger

Oh man, don't get me started about rampant misspelling and misuse of words. I attribute some of it to carryover from texting on phones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

Hp = T x RPM / 5252 . HP determines both acceleration and top speed. But at what RPM you make T determines HP. Diesels make tons of T but don't rev high so therefore dont make much HP and are not fast. But they do tow well.
    Bringing in T early and holding it to a high RPM makes useable HP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AV8R

Yup

14. SEA Stinger

Do you mean defiantly? :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. SEA Stinger

Ok, now I have a couple of questions:
    1. Could two different engines with the same horsepower produce different torque at the same RPM?
    2. Suppose two cars have different engines with the same horsepower. Could one car be able to accelerate more quickly than the other?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  16. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. [​IMG]

I would have posted the EE video myself - he does a great job of explaining it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. jdogonroad

jdogonroad United States Member

Torque as explained to me in Army Flight School: “Torque is when you wake up with a piss hard, and try to hit the bowl”.

18. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Moar is a common colloquial idiom used by the teens back in the early 2010s. Glad it sparked some intelligent conversation. Haha!

19. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

A rare time that you increase torque while attempting to decrease the collective... o_O

20. Ivansito

Ivansito United States Active Member

I too find myself looking from the outside looking in when it comes to hp/ trq . What is the community collective guesstamation or estimation on how much KIA has underrated the HP/Trq? And what purpose, if in fact they knew, would they have purposely done that?

Draft saved Draft deleted