Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by Deisic, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Deisic

Deisic United States Member

Anyone replace their cabin air filter? I’m looking for something that will do a good job excluding the particles from exhaust. Our other car does a great job of it (2018 Volvo v90 cc). I’d love to be able to keep as much of that crap out of the cabin. I normally keep the air circulating instead of pulling from outside. But can’t keep it like that all the time.

2. NYLAWBIZ

NYLAWBIZ United States Stinger Enthusiast

K&N also makes one.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

@Deisic Just curious why you feel that the cabin OEM filtering is inadequate?

4. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

With the crap I breathe at work, I may never change the filter,lol

5. Deisic

Because the amount of exhaust coming in when it is pulling in outside air is pretty bad. Every time it auto switches to ourside air within moments I can smell fumes from cars in front of me.

6. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

I just put one of those carbonized filters in my wife's car. It's heavier/thicker feeling than the stock filters that come in cars but I couldn't really tell a difference in the amount of fumes being filtered out.

I don't think any filter will really do much to help that. That isn't really their purpose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

I agree , Our Sorento is bad as well , its a Kia thing , never had cars that let much "smell "in .........even someone smoking in front of you at a stop light !!

8. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

It’s that hole “fresh air thing”, once I smell something I switch it to circulate inside the car.

9. Deisic

Yea I do the same. But would appreciate at least some filtration will update this thread once I get my new one installed

10. hummus

hummus United States Member

11. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

I have replaced the cabin air filter with a filter infused with activated charcoal.

This article in the German magazine Der Spiegel caught my attention and translated below:
    Studie von Umweltphysikern: Stickoxidbelastung ist im Auto am höchsten - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Mobilität

Study by Environmental Physicists
    Nitric oxide pollution is highest in the car
    Diesel exhaust fumes can cause sickness, caused also by the nitrogen oxides they contain. A study shows who is particularly affected: car drivers.
    The nitrogen oxide pollution in German cities is too high: The permitted annual average of 40 micrograms per cubic meter of respiratory air is not met in many cities - more and more cities impose driving bans. This measure is not particularly popular among motorists, although they themselves could benefit most from it: the highest level of nitrogen oxide pollution is not at the measuring stations - but in the interiors of the cars.
    This emerges from a study of the Institute for Environmental Physics of the University of Heidelberg, which has been obtained by the magazine "Auto Bild" and a public TV & radio station (NDR) . In eight test drives in the Dusseldorf area, the burden on motorists was significantly higher than for residents.
    While the two data gathering stations came to values between 24 and 92 micrograms of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) per cubic meter of breath, the value in the car was much higher: on a one-hour highway drive the scientists measured 117 micrograms NO2 in the car, at times it increased even to 447 micrograms. In urban traffic, the average value was about 110 micrograms of nitrogen dioxide.
    Other filters could solve the problem.
    "We get a large part of the personal pollution from car trips," said study leader Denis Pöhler to the "Auto Bild". Concentrations of more than 200 micrograms can have noticeable health effects within a short time, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). By comparison, the natural mean NO2 value is between one and nine micrograms worldwide.
    Especially for frequent travelers such as commuters, taxi drivers or field workers, the high levels inside the vehicle mean there is an increased risk of chronic illness.
    The burden could be reduced by simple means: Through activated carbon cabin filters. During test drives, they lowered the NO2 value by 92 percent compared to the standard filter. However, such filters are often not standard on new vehicle models, although they are only slightly more expensive.

A few more references:
    10 ways to beat air pollution: how effective are they?

Danish researchers have designed a filter that removes dangerous exhaust fumes from the inside of your car

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/the-...ainst-nitrogen-oxides-and-particulate-matter/

Activated Carbon Air Filters for the Stinger are as of now hard to come by. However the size of the Stinger's filter is very close if not identical to the Sorrento's. Except the pleats run in a different direction, say N-S for one and E-W for the other, or vice versa. I got the Sorrento fit for a little over $5 out of China incl. faster shipping,
    The filters I got were missing the cardbord frame on two opposite sides and the foam strip around it. But that was easily corrected with a trip to the hardware store (Lowes had them, but Canadian Tire carries them also and they are cheaper there), with 5 meters (enough for 5!) of US made house seal which I stuck on. No idea how effective they are ( I don't follow trucks too closely), but they are blacker than what is being offered now and I trust the Chinese char coal. Pollution is apparently pretty bad there... Anyway, they are cheap enough to replace every 6 months. No rattles, no squeaks. Perfect for my purposes.

Good Luck.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Deisic

THanks for that last post on the filter - The one I got didnt make the air quality much better. Will go with a charcoal one.

13. Deisic

thanks for the data~!

14. rocket23

This car is the first car that actually makes the ''outside'' air decision by itself.......In the polluted world we live in Mine would be in re- circulate mode continuously but as stated before this car has a mind of its own.

15. Mike04SVT

Mike04SVT United States Member

Here in the PNW damp conditions and heavy traffic can lead to icky in-car air quality. This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.

16. PMB

PMB Canada Member

Hey guys, just wanted to say that those carbon infused filters are going to be next to useless unless you're replacing them weekly. The carbon infused filter material commonly available on the market has around 0.5oz of activated carbon per sq. yard. Whereas a good filter that will last for several months will use pounds of activated carbon. So the carbon in the tiny cabin filter will become saturated almost right away.

Also, Activated Carbon is good as adsorbing organic compounds (I'll cut down the manure smell of a farm). It's not going to filter smoke, or nitrogen oxides effectively, so you'll still smell fire, cigarette smoke, and many components of vehicle exhaust. A properly operating car exhaust already burns off significant proportions organic compounds in the catalytic converter, but the remainder of these may be filtered.

I just don't think it's really worth the extra cost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. rocket23

A lot of us old folk never had a filter in our vehicles.....so having one aint much of a big deal......to me anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Deisic

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: