kia stinger store

Buying wider wheels. Will the suspension be okay??

CheldonAc

Newish Member
Alright so I have a 2021 Stinger GT2 AWD. The dimensions for the stock wheels are 19x8 in the front and 19x8.5 in the rear.
The aftermarket wheels I want are 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear. Will the difference in width cause any issues like being too close to any suspension components? I was going to upgrade tires as well to account for the extra width but I'm new when it comes to wheel/tire mods.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
You can "Attach files"; the app is in the lower left corner; anybody who can post can attach a pic file or files.

Wider wheels need more offset to avoid the fender; but then you get closer to the strut and caliper. A wider offset to avoid the fender can move back out by using spacers. It's called "juggling". :D I would use the pros at a local tire and wheel shop if I were you. :thumbup:

CheldonAc

Newish Member
You can "Attach files"; the app is in the lower left corner; anybody who can post can attach a pic file or files.

Wider wheels need more offset to avoid the fender; but then you get closer to the strut and caliper. A wider offset to avoid the fender can move back out by using spacers. It's called "juggling". :D I would use the pros at a local tire and wheel shop if I were you. :thumbup:
Okay according to the website the wheel offset is "low to high." Not sure what that means

Attachments

• 20210502_202352.jpg
    20210502_202352.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3

CheldonAc

Newish Member

Correction: the offset in the front would be 33 and then 38 in the rear

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Okay according to the website the wheel offset is "low to high." Not sure what that means

I'm assuming that since it says Kia Stinger on the picture you searched for wheels that fit and that was one of the results? That could mean the offset is fine, if the sellers did their due diligence. It could also mean they just sell wheels to people and don't really bother researching the best offset for various applications.

Get with someone like @GetYourWheels to set you up with the proper width & offset for your needs.

CheldonAc

Newish Member
I'm assuming that since it says Kia Stinger on the picture you searched for wheels that fit and that was one of the results? That could mean the offset is fine, if the sellers did their due diligence. It could also mean they just sell wheels to people and don't really bother researching the best offset for various applications.

Get with someone like @GetYourWheels to set you up with the proper width & offset for your needs.
Yeah I always look at the information on those sites with a grain of salt haha. Turns out the offset is 33 front and 38 rear. I've seen the same wheels on other Kia Stingers but don't know if they had to modify anything to make them compatible.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Correction: the offset in the front would be 33 and then 38 in the rear
Well, my offset with 8.5" wide in front and 9.5" in the rear is 40 and 39, respectively: using the OE sized Michelins. The clearance in front is very close to the calipers; the rims look good in the wheel wells; no poke and almost flush.

CheldonAc

Newish Member
Well, my offset with 8.5" wide in front and 9.5" in the rear is 40 and 39, respectively: using the OE sized Michelins. The clearance in front is very close to the calipers; the rims look good in the wheel wells; no poke and almost flush.
Oh okay so the OE tire dimensions work well for you? I wasn't sure if I needed to purchase wider tires as well

GetYourWheels

Authorized Vendor
Alright so I have a 2021 Stinger GT2 AWD. The dimensions for the stock wheels are 19x8 in the front and 19x8.5 in the rear.
The aftermarket wheels I want are 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear. Will the difference in width cause any issues like being too close to any suspension components? I was going to upgrade tires as well to account for the extra width but I'm new when it comes to wheel/tire mods.
sent you PM.

Thank you,
Lou

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Oh okay so the OE tire dimensions work well for you? I wasn't sure if I needed to purchase wider tires as well
Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart According to that guide, I am running the minimum tire width in front, and the recommended tire width in back. As a slight stretch is good for making the side wall stiffer, I went with what "my" wheel guys suggested: I've been totally satisfied.

The other factor in my keeping with the OE tire sizes is not wanting any oversteer (which the stock car has tendencies toward). When you play with the widths you increase or decrease oversteer/understeer: but you also have to deal with clearance in the front; which maybe brings in spacers, and then maybe rub in the fender. Why hassle that? I used sway bars to balance the steering and button down the body movement. Messing with tires too seems unwarranted. The only reason I guess is for appearances: wider tires look more cool: I don't disagree. But I think that the OE tires look good enough.

StingertimeNC

NC
19x8.5 +32/19x9.5 +40 is perfect for Stingers. I am also using the OEM tires. I will go up a tire size or two when the tires wear out though. basically a flush fitment.

Hilleagle

I have just upgraded from the standard 18 x 8, 34 offset GT Line wheels to 19 x 8.5 and 19 x 9.5, both 40 offset, running oem 19 tyre sizes.

No issues with clearance and fit arches (fenders) really nicely!

Will post pics when it stops raining in UK!