Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Bulging Dahboard Top

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by ibmaxx, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ibmaxx

ibmaxx New Zealand Active Member

Has anyone a clue as to why the dash should start to bulge albeit very minor at the moment? It looks like a shadow or stain in the photo but is raised up and easy to feel with the fingertips. It's unsightly and looks like something is trying to hatch. Another mini Stinger? An airbag?

Clipboard04.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tinter

Tinter Australia Member

Australian severe UV and IR exposures are the worst in the world.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

that is where the passenger air bag is located.

4. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Australia has the snake in the airbag option...

Highly sought after.

• Funny Funny x 7
  5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Alien ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

If there is an Airbag under that section, I can only guess the airbag may have somehow inflated only so little to reveal that bulge, or something has expanded possibly under the heat from the sunlight hitting it ? but only a thought, sure your gonna get it looked at from the Kia service department.

7. ibmaxx

OK - wondered about that. Looks like this is the problem as can't be the sunlight with only 5600km on the clock and garaged rest of the time. So hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Kia I go.

8. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

9. ibmaxx

I should have known. All these aches and pains from YOUR voodoo doll. Can you please take that voodoo pin and spear the gremlin in my dashboard whether it be a snake, alien or even a rogue ex airline pilot. Thanks. NZ.gif

10. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

11. ibmaxx

A passing resemblance only - my avatar is wise and the King of Cool compared to that resurrected dried out husk. You only get an 'E' for effort on that one plus a demerit for:
    Clipboard01.jpg

I'm getting a sense of déjà vu here.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Ibmaxx shows a NZ flag so it won't be Aussie Uv or snakes in bags. Maybe it's a Gilbert poking up?:D

13. ibmaxx

Well spotted it is indeed the NZ flag as I live here BUT as I am also an Australian citizen and proud of it too I can also wave the Oz banner so-
    Australia.gif

As for the snake possibility it remains as the horror grows and here you can clearly see the 'S' like swelling of something. Kia have been advised and are looking in to it. It shows best in indirect light and I hope nobody else is contending with anything similar.

DSCN1237.jpg

14. ibmaxx

Update - This problem is quite widespread it seems as here are two photos of near new stingers at a dealer and both show the same defect. I would suggest everybody take a long hard look at their dashboards.
    image003.jpg image005.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM
  15. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Is this passenger side only where the passenger airbag is?

16. ibmaxx

Yes that's correct. Passenger side only and directly over the airbag.

17. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Don't think that there is a problem with this, as this a by product of having the airbag opening cutout under the dash. It is also visible on other brands as well and in other parts where an airbag is present.

[​IMG]

See the vertical line going across the middle where BMW logo is
    [​IMG]

18. robz32

If you look closely you will also see the marking of where opening on the steering wheel on your car. See below.
    HINT: small vertical lines coming down from both ends of the oval KIA emblem.
    [​IMG]

19. ibmaxx

Yes this is normal and acceptable but mine has irregular raised asymmetrical imperfection and is not acceptable. Kia NZ have acknowledged and are investigating now. Here is my 5 year old Volvo dash and the airbag deploy hatch which is rectangular is all but invisible and needs eyeballing from 6 inches to detect vaguely. All dashes should be as good. My stinger is crud by comparison in this respect.
    123.jpg

20. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

I've got a dashmat so I will probably never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted