kia stinger store

Bronze chrome door trim

Trottzstinger

Newish Member
Can someone please tell me a gpod product to use on my 2020 stinger that has the bronze chrome trim around door.Mine has become very dull and i wanna know if anyone else is having this problem and what they used

Attachments

• 20210326_173610.jpg
    20210326_173610.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 17

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Yep, the discoloration issue. Those pieces have been replaced by others under warranty. It seems to be a combination of weather/exposure and chemicals used to clean with. I've never used anything stronger than ONR and the occasional use of isopropyl alcohol if water and ONR won't remove a spot of contamination. A while back, I saw two, count 'em only two, what looked like hard water spots on my RR trim beside the hatch. Started with water; didn't touch them; went to alcohol and they were not phased; increased the ONR and the spots were still there; moved on to polishing compound and nothing doing; tried rubbing compound and finally the spots went; but so did the finish on that area: now it looks brighter than the dark chrome finish. Boo!
DSCF0237.JPG
I have no idea what made those two spots; the only discoloration I've experienced so far on any trim. Others on here have buffed, polished, or otherwise cleaned their trim until it looks good again; and then sealed it or even applied ceramic coating. I think that a lot of exposure to hot sunlight is the main contributor over time.

Buklau

Toronto, Ontario
Same issue on my 2019. Asked about it at the dealership during my recall and they said it’s not covered because it’s a chemical burn. Was bummed out about it so I did what people recommended doing, which was use Flitz metal polish. It worked, but now the trim is lighter than the original. Now I have to even it all out. FML...

Attachments

• 1CB13E5E-EAB0-4222-90AF-19AD9515CC68.jpeg
    1CB13E5E-EAB0-4222-90AF-19AD9515CC68.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 633BB38E-DFDB-4B82-818C-77620702D3B9.jpeg
    633BB38E-DFDB-4B82-818C-77620702D3B9.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 9

Trottzstinger

Newish Member
Wow thanks for the help....the only issue iam having is the door trim all the other bronze chrome on mirriors front clip read hatch etc are perfect

Trottzstinger

Newish Member
I thought possibly like a quick detailer from like chemical guys or maguires would wipe this clean and shine it up for me.....it looks awful.I called dealership they said the detailer guy there has no idea what i can use becuase its not really chrome so fusterating

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
I thought possibly like a quick detailer from like chemical guys or maguires would wipe this clean and shine it up for me.....it looks awful.I called dealership they said the detailer guy there has no idea what i can use becuase its not really chrome so fusterating
Easy solution

wrap it black.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Chemical guys "Light Metal Polish" or Maguires cleaner wax does the trick

Trottzstinger

Newish Member
Would you have a picture of the product you used....iam trying to google them and there is a few different products comimg up i dont wanna buy the wrong one

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Same issue on my 2019. Asked about it at the dealership during my recall and they said it’s not covered because it’s a chemical burn. Was bummed out about it so I did what people recommended doing, which was use Flitz metal polish. It worked, but now the trim is lighter than the original. Now I have to even it all out. FML...
Yeah, that's why I stopped with the one spot. I see it. But I'm not ready to go over my entire trim and make it match a spot! Seriously. :rolleyes:

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Wow thanks so much....have you tried this
Yes, I use the Light Metal Polish.... Where are you located?

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Toronto - If you can get the 4oz bottle do it... they only had the 16oz when I bought it... (@ Detail Garage) probably last me a life time lol

TheBusch

you should go to a different dealer

Chemical guys "Light Metal Polish" or Maguires cleaner wax does the trick
be careful with the polish route as you are just taking off the outer surface. I believe the trim is similar to how they make black chrome or dark stainless (you're not polishing real metal). Other people have posted on here about compounds rubbing off the darker film on the outside and not liking the results.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Can someone please tell me a gpod product to use on my 2020 stinger that has the bronze chrome trim around door.Mine has become very dull and i wanna know if anyone else is having this problem and what they used
megs.jpg megs.jpg

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada

Trottzstinger

Newish Member
I have ordered the chemical guys light metal polish so we see how that goes...thanks everyone for the fast replies

Stingers rule

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
View attachment 57176 Its like Franks Red Hot Sauce , put this S--T on everything , best trick for water spots , bird poop , road tar and keeps your chrome clean and protected ...................
Looking at that reminds me that one of the first things I tried after ONR treated distilled water was the paste Meg's Cleaner Wax. How would these differ vis-a-vis the cleaning aspects? The two spots that I was trying to get off looked exactly like hard water spots; but the paste cleaner wax didn't phase it.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Looking at that reminds me that one of the first things I tried after ONR treated distilled water was the paste Meg's Cleaner Wax. How would these differ vis-a-vis the cleaning aspects? The two spots that I was trying to get off looked exactly like hard water spots; but the paste cleaner wax didn't phase it.
Voodoo ! don't know , seems to work on everything I come across