Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Broken Differential

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by JimB, Aug 20, 2018.

1. JimB

JimB United States Active Member

Had a horrible issue Saturday. My right rear tire just locked up. Turns out I had a major malfunction in the differential. My service rep says its in many pieces. They were unable to find record of another such failure at this time. Anyone hear of a rear end coming apart yet?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Active Member

Wow this is probably the first case. This is probably due to manufacturing defect or otherwise;)

Any symptom before this? Whining or loud operating noises? Maybe good for our knowledge too.

3. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

Sounds dangerous, I hope this doesn't become a common issue.

4. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

How many miles on the car & build date?
    Is it 3.3L?
    When it locked up had you been driving long?
    We’re you driving hard ie: high loading for long periods of time?
    Did the tech. say whether oil was present at inspection/strip down?
    Diff gearing may not have been hardened properly, during assembly it may have been over shimmed making it tight.

5. stinger1168

stinger1168 United States Active Member

WOW! REALLY?!?! What engine do you have? And is it rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?

6. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

Never heard of a single case in 1year+ of reading korean forums.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Wow that is concerning.

I'm also asking all the above questions.

Keep us updated please.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paul32

Paul32 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Looking at the profile, it's a v6 GT.

9. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Wow this is very concerning as I just started noticing a strange sound coming from the rear end of my Stinger.:eek:

I know some LSD (Limited Slip Differential)’s will make minor noises when making sharp turns, but it seems to be getting a little worse. Now you got me thinking it may not be normal and should have the dealer check it.:unsure:

So same question, did you feel or hear anything different leading up to it? Can I have your dealership name in case I need to reference your experience?

Thanks for posting and any extra info is greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

if you were "abusing " your car dont admit here , they'll be looking for "alternate truth"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paul32

Paul32 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Nurse it for a few days. Just so we can get it to WPB.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

He was coasting at 65, and has never gone above the speed limit... Right?

FWIW, if it's a unique problem, it can be traced to this post. Without this post, you're slightly more anonymous.

• Like Like x 1
  13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

(not making light of this, Jim - Kia will take care of it. Just glad it didn't result in further damage or injury!)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

one car out of thousands is not a common issue. come on now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bryan2.0

Bryan2.0 United States Active Member

It’s a sport sedan, you should be able to use it for what it was engineered for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

..............you know what I mean :sneaky::thumbup:

17. StungBlueGT2

So I hate to say it but I may be the second case of a failed differential.:cry:

I described my symptoms to my Kia service tech and he told me to bring it in right away. I just got word that the differential failed all their tests and Kia headquarters told them to replace the whole rear axle. It’s on order and may be a week or two before I get my car back.:thumbdown:

I didn’t think it was possible but I’ve never missed a car more in my life! Its only been a few days and I’m already having Stinger withdraws. Lol.

At least my Kia dealership uses Enterprise for loaners and gave me a brand new 2019 BMW X3. Hard to complain but my GT2 is soooo much nicer and more loaded than the Bimmer. Never thought I’d say those words, and who would have thought I’d be spoiled from a Kia!;)

Hope nobody else has this problem, but suggest bringing it in immediately if you have any similar issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WildBill

WildBill United States Active Member

19. Jerry

Jerry United States Newish Member

So far no problem with mine yet :unsure: *Knock on wood

20. StungBlueGT2

I first noticed a slight whinnying sound from the rear-end when turning while reversing and making u-turns. My old Trans-Am had PosiTrac(same as Limited Slip Differential) and used to make similar sounds so I didn’t think it was a problem. However the sound suddenly got worse and this week I felt & heard a “clunk” while reversing & turning out of a parking spot. I immediately called my Kia tech and he told me to come in. Last symptom was on the way to the dealership while merging onto the highway. As I accelerated onto a wide sweeping on ramp the car suddenly pushed harder to the left, but corrected when I let off the gas. As soon as I gave it throttle it pushed left again like it had AWD understeer. Only other way to describe it was that it was giving more power to the back right wheel on throttle.

It actually scared me and glad I was able to make it to the dealership before I had a similar problem as the OP.

I’m not trying to alarm anyone and reiterate that it’s a very very rare issue. I do absolutely love my Stinger, but this isn’t something to take lightly and again suggest contacting Kia if any similar symptoms arise.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted