Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Borla Exhaust Review

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by RobertE, Dec 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM.

1. RobertE

RobertE United States Member

I took delivery of my Borla exhaust yesterday and let me say it's everything I've ever wanted.
    I should start off by saying when I originally took Delivery of my Stinger GT1 AWD, I did a muffler delete. The drone and the vibrations in the car were so unbearable that I had the stock mufflers put back on. It was so loud that I couldn’t even hear myself think - maybe that's just me being dramatic, but you get the point.

Before I talk about the Borla -
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about drone. Let's talk about the stock exhaust for a sec. I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the stock exhaust has a bit of a hum to it at low RPM's (900 - 1800). It's more noticeable when dipping your foot into the throttle while cruising. Correct me if I'm wrong but that humming sound you hear is drone too, right? But I don't think anyone considers it as drone since it's so low.
    Let's be honest here - Kia made the stock exhaust this quiet for a reason. If it were any louder, a lot of people would be saying it had a ton of drone coming from the factory. Shoot, they created the Bimodal exhaust for a reason don't ya think? If any of you guys did research on it, the valves open up when in Sport or based on throttle application. Kia knew what they were doing when they developed it (Kia Stinger GT bi-modal exhaust video and details). When in Sport the car steers clear of the drone band.

Now let's get into the Borla -
    1. If you drive in Sport all the time around the city, then the Borla is for you. You wouldn't get any drone since you'll be out of the drone band (900 - 1800 RPM's). The only thing you'll hear is the harmonic sound of the exhaust. Obviously, if you accelerate from a stop you'll hear a deep growl. But that’s what we want! It’s a Borla for crying out loud.
      Before getting the Borla, I was always the kind driver who would drive around the city in "Smart" mode trying to save on gas. But let's face it. If you get a Borla Exhaust your Smart mode days are over. You purchased this exhaust to hear the aggressive acceleration, upshifting and downshifting. This is what you paid $1,100 for, and this is exactly what you get in Sport mode.

Also, dial back to your experiences of seeing/hearing other cars on the road with loud exhausts. Upshifting and downshifting like a beast, making you wish you had the same. Well, now you got it. Do you think their RPM's were low while you were memorized by the sound of their exhaust? Nope.

2. I understand that everyone wants to drive in Smart, Eco or Comfort while on the highway to save gas. I'm with you guys there. Once you're at your desired speed on the highway whether it's 55, 60, or 70; in either of these modes, there is no drone while coasting in 7th or 8th gear. You do hear a low pitch sound coming from the exhaust but it's very light and soft on the ears. This sound is expected because you upgraded your exhaust, duh. But it really does sound quite beautiful. I repeat this is only the case while coasting/putting minimal throttle to keep the car rolling at a constant speed.

Now, when you're at your desired cruising speed and you dip your foot into the throttle a bit, YES you will hear a loud humming sound. As many will call it - drone. It's not freakishly loud but it's not low either. Let's dial back to what I said earlier about the stock exhaust. When it was stock, we all heard the humming sound while dipping our foot into the throttle. But now that you have a Borla Exhaust, do the math. It's louder. If you ask me I really enjoy dipping my foot into the throttle especially when going through overpasses. Doing so reminds me and everyone around me on the highway that I have a beefy exhaust. And that's exactly what we're going for with the Borla.

3. This is a very minor notice but if you're like me you notice. The center console vibrations (the armrest and the part where the shifter is). With the stock exhaust, there was always a little vibration when accelerating at low RPM's (within the drone band) or at a standstill in Drive. You'd notice it more if you have the ac or heat on. I haven't noticed any differences in vibration between stock and the Borla. Still the same old minimal vibration that the stock exhaust gives.

If you ask me I recommend getting the Borla. No need for any of the EVC exhaust systems. Not worth the extra grand in my honest opinion. Plus they aren't as loud as the Borla.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or any video requests. Also, I live in NYC if anyone is interested in hearing the exhaust in person before making the purchase.

P.S before adding the Borla, I got a ton of stares while driving around. Now it's just ridiculous (In a good way).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    • Like Like x 6
  2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

Jesus to the h Christ... cliff notes man.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

Good review. Exhausts make noise... Borla sounds pretty neat in my opinion. I might be in the minority, but I like the sound of the stock exhaust mated with the stock intakes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobertE

Haha, I read through it and I see what you mean. I'm working on cleaning up the wording now. I kind of wrote the review in a hurry. My bad

5. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

Update this review after having them on for a week or two, the sound often changes with new exhausts. Good review, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobertE

Will do. Thanks for reading!

7. CoconutRob

CoconutRob United States Active Member

Great review. One question . On the highway ar cruising 60 70 mph can you talk to passengers without yelling, and listen to radio without it maxed out volume?

8. RobertE

Yup, when coasting at 60 or 70 you can definitely talk to passengers without yelling and listen to the radio at maxed out volume. To be honest if you have the radio up 1/4 the volume or a little bit less, you can pretty much cancel out the exhaust sound completely. Like I said before; once you reach your cruising speed and you're applying the minimal amount of throttle to keep the car rolling at a constant speed, you barley hear the exhaust at all. Its a low harmonic sound thats appealing/soft on the ears. Obviously if you dip your foot into the throttle to climb a hill or increase speed, the sound of the exhaust increases. But to me it's truly enjoyable. It's the aggressiveness and the sound of you dipping your foot into the throttle that's to die for :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. RobertE

Draft saved Draft deleted