Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Blacked out muffler tips

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Chucky, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Chucky

Chucky United States Member

Really wanted my muffler tips blacked out; saw on here somewhere someone had theirs powder coated. I spoke with a couple powder coating places in SC who said they would not recommend powder coating because it is not high enough temperature and that it will flake off over time; both places I spoke with said ceramic coating is higher temperature and would be better but they didn't do it. While looking for someone who does ceramic powder coating I spoke with the owner of an exotic car shop who repairs and mods Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Porsche's etc. and he said they don't recommend ceramic because it flakes over time as well and that they almost always paint the tips with high temperature engine paint unless the customer asks for something else. He recommended VHT engine paint but warned me if I was going to leave the tips on the car masking would be a bitch (and it was).
    WELL last night I took the plunge; here's what I did and some pics. Bought VHT Flame Proof Header Paint Silica - Ceramic Coating rated to 2000F but the only black available is matte; so I also purchased VHT Engine Enamel Drive Train Paint rated to 550F in black gloss. I left the tips on the car because I didn't have a lift to get underneath and remove the tips; in hind-site I might have found a way to do it like this because masking was indeed a pain in the ass. Took me about an hour and a half to mask off the area around the pipes, I used a thin narrow pry tool to push the masking tape all the way to the back and to make sure it wasn't touching the pipes, it wasn't perfect but it worked. I sanded the pipes with 400 then 1500 grit sandpaper and then did 3 coats of the matte header paint and finished it off with two coats of the gloss black. I think it turned out very well, let me know what you guys think.

Tips taped.jpg
    I know way overkill on the upper masking! ;)
    Tips masking.jpg

Sanded the tips with 400 then 1500 grit sandpaper
    Tips sanded.jpg
    3 Coats of VHT Header Paint Matte Black rated to 2000F
    Tips matte 1.jpg

2 coats of VHT Engine Enamel Gloss Black rated to 550F
    Tips gloss.jpg
    Tips gloss 1.jpg

I think they turned out great love the black so much more than the stainless
    Tips close.jpg
    Blacked rear.jpg
    Hope this helps someone; let me know what you think. I'm debating blacking out the lower reflectors as well, anybody done this, thoughts?

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

Looks great!

3. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

Looks good.

4. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Love it , and great write up !! Well
    Done !!

Maybe consider deleting the bumper reflectors with gloss black vinyl ?? would really finish your tail off nicely

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Stinger Enthusiast

The reason powder coating the OEM tips is ok is they are NOT physically touching the exhaust outlet coming from the mufflers. Minimal heat transfer. And they are holding up just fine after 6 months.

But nice write up on yours as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

Sir, you have the patience of a saint. I would have said f-it and painted the whole back end black, bumper and all. lol!! :rofl:

Looks very awesome, job well done!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chucky

Very good point; the Borla exhaust I have is even further from the actual exhaust than stock but I'd imagine it still gets pretty damn hot especially the way I drive lol!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

I like it. HIGHLY considering dipping mine, but I would take them off to do so.

9. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Looks good. Hopefully it stands up to the heat. Header paint doesn't hold up on headers but your tips' won't get nearly as hot as headers do. Did you cure the paint after applying? IIIRC VHT says their high heat paint only holds up if it's cured after applying.

Keep us updated on how they're holding up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chucky

No I could not cure the paint because they are attached to the car and it would damage the paint and the lower fascia around the tips. Will update durability as time passes

11. Chucky

Astickers.jpg
    Found these on eBay, ordered 2 sets, going to try doubling them up as they are just smoked, not black

12. westcoastGT

probably will work but the 3m vinyl is cheaper and the gloss balck is a perfect match Blacked (2).jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chucky

Lol was just reading that thread; just ordered vinyl

14. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

That's what I did. Spent a few bucks on Amazon and cut them to size myself. They've been on the car for over a year with no problems.

15. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Nice job @Chucky
    Black vinyl from craft shop or paint section of hardware store is the go. Cheap and easy. Also works well on side reflectors.
    20190212_142627.jpg 20180817_152331.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. westcoastGT

did you try white vinyl on the sides ?? Might look better ??? nice job mate !

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Considered white but went with black. I've got a roll of white wrap left over from when I did the bonnet vents so can experiment at any time.
    20190201_132814.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chucky

Looks great, going to do that this week. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted