Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Best way to handle bird poop

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by automatoes, Jan 12, 2020.

1. automatoes

automatoes Australia Member

I have to park outdoors during work hours. I'm planning on a quick wash weekly or bi-weekly. However, the occasional bird poop is a bit of a problem and I'd like to get it sorted without waiting for days. I've seen videos online and it appears you spray it with detailer and dab it off with a microfibre cloth.

Is this what you guys are doing? What's your go-to product for bird poop?

Note: It's summer time in Australia. Black car + Aussie sun is a killer combo for bird poop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Outside of full PPF, what you are doing ASAP is best.

You will likely have an occasional stain. Use clear safe compound, polish and seal/wax to fully remove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

I keep a spray bottle of ONR laced distilled water in the car; and microfiber towels, and paper towels. Yes, paper towels. If you get to the guano before it is dried, you just gently pinch it up with a paper towel, spray the area and use microfiber to finish the cleanup. If the crappy gift of the birds has hardened, chances are it will leave a mark. But anyway, soften it with the spray bottle, until you can pinch it up gently as already described. Take a glance at the area with sunlight on it: if it got to the clearcoat, it'll show up as a faint outline of the shape of the bird crap. As already mentioned, take a hand buffing compound to it with either terrycloth or microfiber. Once the outline is gone, use a good wax on the aggrieved spot, maybe several coats. All done, all good. :)

4. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Member

Ceramic coat or wax the paint regularly to keep the caustic turds off the paint to begin with, then you have a sacrificial layer to delay any etching.

5. app_master

app_master Australia Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

I keep a spray bottle bowdens "clean detail" in my car for this. Done similar to Merlin's pinch-up to remove method or folding the cloth to new sections each time you clean off area. Keeping small area wet is key while in the removing process. Then you regular cleaning/coating/wax regime is your best on-going safeguard.

6. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Sorry, I read the thread title and could only think "with gloves".

My ceramic coat has definitely saved me more than once already. Highly recommended. If not, then more frequent waxing. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of bird ________.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ty Davis

Ty Davis United States Active Member

I've had several black cars in the past. Black paint easily showcases how bird droppings and careless removal of them can damage the paint.

I always remove the droppings with water.
    Whenever I notice it, I go straight to the carwash to spray it off. A garden hose at home works most times too.
    I never let it sit. It all sprays right off, especially if you haven't let it bake on for several days.

I try not to agitate it or smear it across the paint's surface.
    If you have to physically touch it to remove it, becareful because it can easily cause scratches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Get the car paint protected/ceramic coated this stops bird & worse still fruit bat poo eating into the paint.
    Then as others have stated either carry a bottle of Bowdens Clean Detail or Meguiars Waterless Wash & a couple of microfibre cloths & as Merlin states, paper towels is a great idea.
    If the poo had dried, wet a folded paper towel & place over the offending area, let is soak until soft then use the “pinch” method to remove, repeat as necessary until all waste matter has been removed then finish with either the Bowdens or Meguiars product with a microfibre cloth.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. automatoes

automatoes Australia Member

Plenty of great suggestions there. I'm glad I'm heading in the right direction. I'll get it ceramic coated once I can fund it, but meanwhile I'm gonna buy and keep some of the quick fixes (bottle water, detailer spray, and microfibre cloths).

10. RedCal

RedCal Canada Member

As mentioned get it cleaned off ASAP is the best defense, If you have a bottle of water (or raid a recycling bin) punch a small hole in the top and use it like a pressure washer by squeezing the bottle to help blast it off ;)

Autoglym also makes bird poop wipes - I'm sure it's just detailer soaked disposable microfiber squares

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Another vote for Ceramic. It either just vanishes next time you're out in the rain or, if it bothers you, keep a small spray bottle in the garage. For the most part, if it's dried, it just pops off with the lightest touch.

Since applying ceramic to mine, my wash regimen is to visit the local self-wash and pay $1 to use their pressure washer, high-pressure rinse only. Nothing else. It's not even worth the effort to hook up a hose and use my own pressure washer.

12. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Member

Go with a DIY ceramic coat kit. While it's more time consuming than waxing is, it's actually easier in a way because you don't have to tape off or deal with cleaning white residue off the black trim pieces; you can just ceramic coat those as well, as well as any metal trim and the windows.

13. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Very much agree. In a pinch, you can even just DIY the horizontal surfaces where most of the offending deposits usually land and get baked in.

14. Travis Wills

Travis Wills United States Active Member

I got some bird Droppings on the hood and front fender of my Panthera Grey GT2.

I made the big mistake of just letting it sit on there for about two weeks while the car sat out in the sun all day.

When I went to remove it I simply could not get it to come off at all. Nothing seemed to work. I scrubbed and scrubbed and it just wouldn’t come off until I used regular water and a cloth.

Then I realized how much I had scratched the clear coat. It was absolutely terrible. I thought I was going to have to repaint most of the front end.

However, I ran across the video below. I thought why not try it. I can’t make it any worse than it already is.

I followed the steps in the video and it worked just like in the video. All of the deep scratches are gone. I couldn’t believe it.

The best thing is to not scratch it in the first place. Straight water seemed to work best to get the droppings off but definitely do not let it sit on the car in the sun.

However, if you do cause some scratches or if someone else scratches the car there are ways to fix it by yourself and for not much money.

I really wish I had all of the information in this thread before I tried to remove the bird droppings on my car. It would have saved me a lot of time and headaches.

• Winner Winner x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted