1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Australia out of love with big Rwd cars?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by Ozstung, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

2. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT 1000 Posts Club!

Ok...Yes , I am sure we all fell in love with the look and design of the Stinger , but personally that wasn't enough for me to go ahead and purchase , RWD was a major factor, the V6TT engine was another , the hatchback rear end design was another, I told myself , the next car I buy has to be similar to a Midnight Blue, Deep Chroma Blue sold it to me, if it wasn't available, I may not have bought it at all. I am guessing, but i am sure every Stinger owner in Australia, only wanted RWD, and not worried AWD was not offered here, if Stinger was front wheel drive, I doubt it would sell much at all, I believe Australians have not fallen out of love with big RWD cars, it's just the reality we live in nowadays, the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore RWDs are gone , and people have too settle for foreign offerings which seem to be more front wheel drive biased.
    Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GenesisG70

GenesisG70 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Plus millions of moms are buying freacking SUVs as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LaserJet

LaserJet Germany Member

“Earlier this week, he admitted that Kia Australia’s large sedan focus would also shift solely to the Stinger because the mid-size Optima will be axed by the end of this year.”

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Ozstung

I wanted the Stinger sitings to be scare. Western Sydney appears to be the home of the Stinger, im seeing them way more frequently.

6. DCBStingerGT

To be honest , I see a Stinger everyday, in my garage that is....:):laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Joeygt

Joeygt Australia Member

I bought the stinger based purely on merit. The styling, the features, the brembos, RWD and the performance sold it for me.
    Not to mention the 7 year warranty.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

People might be interested in the Stinger on how it looks rather than how it goes but that all changes once you test drive it, particularly the V6TT, then it’s all about how it goes and the looks are just an added bonus :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Well, not ALL Comodores are gone -- I still have my '05 Pontiac GTO in showroom condition. It still draws head-turns almost as much as my GT2. I don't know much about you guys down under, but judging from my G8 GT and GTO's you build some great cars. 200,000 on the G8 GT when I traded it and only repair was a trunk release solenoid -- still had factory brakes! GTO is now 14 years old (bought new) and had a clutch release cylinder replaced at 96,000 miles last year -- nothing else, also factory brakes.

Yes, the uncivilized world is moving to UV's. I refuse to call them SUVs because there is nothing even remotely "sporty" about them and because they are really just station wagons with a high center of gravity. But drive what you like and like what you drive. The main problem with the reduction in the number of true sedans and coupes is that as their numbers fall, their prices increase.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DCBStingerGT

Hi there @mldavis2 , yesterday I created a thread named " Holden cars in America ", I included a couple of videos from a Youtuber Red SS, that I enjoy to watch his videos , who owns a Chevy SS , and the passion he has for that car, and the fact it was made in Australia, he is always doing something to it, and attending Chevy SS Car and Coffee meets, search for that thread if your interested to watch the video.

11. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Thanks, @DCBStingerGT, I'll check that out. Loved my G8 and it was in mint condition when I traded it. Bought from the dealer by a GM mechanic who knew what and how good it was. I hope it has a good life because it sure took care of me. Just couldn't resist the GT2 and the wife was getting a bit worried about reliability -- although it had never failed me.

However I searched for your thread and couldn't find it. Can you link it for me? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  12. DCBStingerGT

Hi @mldavis2 , wasn't sure how to do the link, so I Bumped It up for you..lol

13. Stingrrr

Stingrrr Australia Newish Member

If looks were the primary motivation they would be selling more 4 cylinder models. It's a balance.

Having stinger patrol cars will go a long way to convince some of the hHolde/Ford tragics to get on board.

Coming from a Euro car I can't believe the stinger hasn't been more popular, cross shopping at the price is embarrassing for most the competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joeygt

Joeygt Australia Member

I heard a rumour that KIA are interested in entering the Supercars series. Apparently they are in talks with Kelly racing If it’s true, that will certainly generate some interest among the Holden/ford faithful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

I was thinking GRM but now Nissan has jumped out Kelly Racing also makes sense

16. Driver

Driver Australia Member

Price tag is what has been putting me off. Previous new RWD Falcon XR6 / Commodore SV6 were always high 30's, low 40's.

Now you're looking at high 50's which was pricing more like what the XR6T / SS-V was.... sure there's the performance/gadgets to match but it's still a much more expensive car if you're coming from the normal 6 cylinder market.

Having said that; i'm getting over the price & back to seriously looking for a new GT :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ozstung

Mate they're a lot more affordable now then they where 15 months ago.

What have you got in mind top spec Gt?
    Colour?

18. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

You could always look at the 330S or 330Si if the GT is too pricey, or even look at the 2.0L Turbo 4cyl models which are cheaper again and still RWD

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Driver

Driver Australia Member

That's the thing; if I'm gonna spend >$50k I may as well spend the extra then for the GT... which is then much better value for money. :D

In Brisbane from my research; there's only about 2 x 4 cylinders & 2 S/SI's, VS a good 45+ GT's to pick from too.

If the 4 cylinder was around the 40 mark new it'd be a totally different story. I feel for anyone on a company's car budget to replace their existing XR6/SV6 would now be stuck in the FWD price range now.

20. Driver

Driver Australia Member

Silver I think; maybe red or white; probably not purple or black. but definitely not ceramic gray

Draft saved Draft deleted