kia stinger store

Austrailian Kia Stinger police car-dash cam footage

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The last one was the "best"; running from a cop on a bike; whack! Hope the biker was okay, though.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
It amazes me that GM couldn't make the SS more successful when there's clearly a market.
They were not interested in the SS (Commodore) they were not quick enough to adapt to market change, what they should have done is to build SUV’s like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT & Trackhawk, they would have sold like hot cakes.
GM also left AU completely, they are no longer interested in RHD markets.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
GM and Ford believe the way forward are SUV's. :thumbdown:
Sad but true, all manufacturers are heading this way, it’s called market demand.
Your not going to produce products that nobody will buy.

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
Sad but true, all manufacturers are heading this way, it’s called market demand.
Your not going to produce products that nobody will buy.
It's funny. Jeep has always sold only SUVs which has always seemed rather strange. But now all the other manufacturers are gradually heading that way too.

jalcala

Orlando Area
OK, so after watching for a few minutes there is one thing I learned from this...don't pass ANY cars in Australia. The rules for passing vehicles must be WILDLY different than here in the states as I probably saw at least one maybe more change lanes (dashed line, not solid) with a blinker, and still get pulled over. Guess if I ever visit I'll take Uber everywhere. :cool:

PS. Will finish rest of video later, had to jump on a Teams call.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
OK, so after watching for a few minutes there is one thing I learned from this...don't pass ANY cars in Australia. The rules for passing vehicles must be WILDLY different than here in the states as I probably saw at least one maybe more change lanes (dashed line, not solid) with a blinker, and still get pulled over. Guess if I ever visit I'll take Uber everywhere. :cool:

Yes, I could not tell on over half of these what the infraction was. Very mysterious.

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia

Yep we do things differently down under. :laugh:

N1NJ4W4RR10R

It amazes me that GM couldn't make the SS more successful when there's clearly a market.
I'd put the blame more so on our (Australias) Gov really. GM new the Commodore was a dead product because they couldn't sustain manafacturing, and they couldn't sustain manafacturing because our Gov refused to support them after the GFC.

A real shame. If I'm not mistaken we designed the Camaro platform, and every recent attempt at commodore imports met disaster (g8 flopped thanks to the GFC getting pontiac killed and sky-rocketing the AUD, SS had no real future). If a commodore ever got a fair shot it'd probably go well, even if just as a Cadillac/Cadillac lite in the product stack.

N1NJ4W4RR10R

I've seen a few Stingers dressed up as cop cars here in Darwin (Australia). They look great with that coat of paint.

A shame they aren't Commodores or Falcons, but Kia has done a good job giving us a spiritual successor.

stew675

Newish Member
Yes, I could not tell on over half of these what the infraction was. Very mysterious.
Most of the time it would've been speeding. Cops in Australia use LIDAR, not radar, speed guns. Speed is enforced very stringently in Australia. If you go over by more than 5kph (3mph) and a cop sees you, they'll likely light up and nab you. On a side note, the rate of vehicular death and injury in Australia is 1/3 to 1/4 that of in the USA on a per capita, and per distance driven basis, so they feel like that's the right approach to take since the national road death toll is usually around 900 mark (for the entire country) in a nation of 26M people.

As an avid motorcyclist too, the road law enforcement there gets pretty heavy handed, but given the figures, you can see why the powers at be feel justified in doing it, even though it's a pain in the arse for those who want to enjoy a little bit of responsible fun.

Last edited:

stew675

Newish Member
Then it is a good thing that they make laser shifters.
Cops over there are pretty good at estimating speed. If they suspect you're using some sort of interference device based upon what they think you're doing, they'll pull you over and tear your car apart to find and confiscate it, since all that stuff is highly illegal there, sometimes even going so far as leading to prison time depending on exact circumstances. If they find it, they'll likely tow and impound your car, or what some will do is just pull your car apart, take the device, and leave you on the side of the road with a mostly disassembled car (yes, that really happens). It's a different set of rules there. They take road safety really really seriously there.

Last edited:

stew675

Newish Member
I should add though, that it's not impossible to have your fun in Australia, you just need to be prudent about where you do it. It's a big country. About the same size as the contiguous states of the US, with just 26M people. You can find plenty of places to enjoy yourself and your vehicles without the thin blue line intervening, just avoid the populated areas and be wary of long inviting straights, even on backroads, without first doing a pass to see if there's any speed traps there. As with most things in life, you can have fun if you use just a little bit of common sense. If you get really worried about it though, there's usually a racetrack within 100 miles of you, near to any populated area, so go book a track day for $100 and cut loose without the worry.

Last edited:

SoCalSHO

Diamond Bar, Ca
Yeah, but speed and safety are not mutually exclusive. Look at Germany and the autobahn. Something like that would work well in Austrailia (maybe with a few less kangaroos though)

stew675

Newish Member
Yeah, but speed and safety are not mutually exclusive. Look at Germany and the autobahn. Something like that would work well in Austrailia (maybe with a few less kangaroos though)
Not sure what's going on here. Keep getting messages about posting links and images, which I'm not, so i can't reply properly. Oh well, maybe tomorrow