Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Apple CarPlay update on the horizon

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Alan Renfro, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Alan Renfro

Alan Renfro United Kingdom Newish Member

So Apple is now allowing 3rd party apps such as Google Maps to be used with CarPlay. KIA is offering a onetime update for free but only for select models. More models will be added soon according to their website. As of right now the Stinger does not have an update available.

This is great news for people who enjoy using Google Maps and Waze for navigation.

2. JasonC3962

JasonC3962 United States Member

awesome!!!!!!!!

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Will it still need to be connected by physical wire?

4. Nexitus

Nexitus Canada Member

Yep. Carplay has the ability to be wireless now, but it's up to the manufacturers to implement that capability or not. Maybe in future Stinger models this may happen.

5. Jonathan Lasich

Jonathan Lasich Canada Active Member

I was told by my salesman at the time I took delivery of the car, that despite other manufacturers having wireless CarPlay, physical connectivity of your phone for CarPlay was specifically engineered by Kia. Something to do with curbing distracted driving?
    So future wireless CarPlay may not be in the cards.

6. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yes, that makes sense that having your phone automatically connect via bluetooth is more distracting then finding your plug and having to plug your phone in to get connectivity. Sounds like a salesman talking out his arse again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Nexitus

Nexitus Canada Member

But most of us wouldn't be doing those things while driving already...I hope. So why would it be distracting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Your salesman was misinformed. Wired CarPlay (and Android Auto for that matter) is the standard connection method as dictated by Apple when the standard was introduced. Wireless support was added by both Apple and Google, and require Wi-Fi Direct, not bluetooth, in both situations to work.

Wireless support is what needs to be specifically engineered. Anyone telling you that they "made it wired on purpose" is talking out their ass.

Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto will 100% require a retrofit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Most likey the wired part is to assure when you arrive at your destination, your phone isn’t almost dead.

10. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I use wireless charging on my iPhone 6S+, have since pretty much the day I bought it coming up on 3 years ago. I will not be switching back to a wired connection (which requires removing the wireless charge connector)..

Draft saved Draft deleted