Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Anyone want to guess yearly sales for the Stinger?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Kia Stinger, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Let's see who comes the closest with their guess! I'd like to see what people think about both total sales worldwide - and sales per country... I have a feeling the most sales will be made in the United States with either Australia or Canada close behind. Anyone care to kick this off with a few estimates? You can start with 2017 if you like - but I'm really curious about 2018...

2. CrisX

CrisX Canada Member

I'm going to kick this off by guessing 150 for Canada in 2017, and 800 in 2018. As for other countries and regions, it will be much harder to guess as we won't have any good insight on the Stinger's market position compared to immediate and 2nd level competitions. But I'm guessing 4,800 worldwide in 2018.

3. ballistic

ballistic United States Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member Sustaining Member

4800 worldwide sounds really low to me. but at least you had the guts to start this off. :p i have no idea.

4. Brian Keenan

Brian Keenan United States Active Member Founding Member

I'd have to go digging to figure out where I found this information but I did copy it into a text file. Kia has sold 5539 Stingers through November of 2017. The weird part about this number is it apparently includes cars they sold for show in various locations because they had actually sold about 200 before launch in Korea in June. It was June they started selling in Korea right? Since then they sold over 5200 Stingers. Unless this number only represents the units sold out of the plants into dealers. I'm not sure.

5. admonite

admonite United States Member

I'm going to guess 25,000 2018 US Sales. Probably 13,000 Worldwide. So 38,000 total. Maybe less unless they are bringing out a newer diesel in Europe. They have a lot of room to improve. Adding back in the things they de-contented in the U.S. and other markets. Opening up the color palette and options. If things slow down in the U.S. they can always bring in the GT-Line (GT Look, Base engine) I think they are doing a pretty good job of marketing so far....I think they are going to need another big venue besides the Australian Open...but SuperBowl is questionable. We'll see. I personally think it should sell double that amount.

6. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

How about 46,000 world wide for 2017? What's the prize Kia Stinger for correct guess.

7. admonite

You may be right, or we might both be low. I think Australia will be a huge deciding factor. If the country completely dumps the new Commodore, and the majority adopt this as it's replacement we might get to 46,000 with just the U.S. and AUS.

I wonder what Kia's internal predictions are?

8. jwhollan

jwhollan United States Active Member

The sales manager at the Kia dealer I've been working with gave me a number of 20,000 units of the 2018 model being shipped to the US for the entire year. Of course his information may be incorrect. And even if it is correct, I'm sure it isn't set in stone if the car starts blowing away Kia's sales expectations. but if the 20,000 is correct it's going to be tough for them to sell 25,000.

I'm going to guess they sell less than 1000 before the end of 2017, and about 15,000 more in 2018.

9. admonite

Good info. Supply will certainly be a factor. If they truly aren't making a profit on the Stinger as one article stated...then they may not want to adjust their supply. Unless, of course, demand exceeds their projected supply by enough of a margin to actually begin to turn a profit. I think 20,000 is a good conservative estimate for initial import based on current market trends. It could help keep sales prices close to MSRP and will help with resale if supply is in demand.

10. Kia Stinger

Hmm. I don't know. Maybe one of those vacation stay certificates where you only pay the tax for the room?

11. jburns

jburns United States Active Member

And the tax is 100% of the room cost.

12. Phil

Phil Australia Newish Member

The new Commodore pricing and model range is on the Holden website now .
    If pricing and features is a guide you would have to say Kia are going to get flogged.
    The most expensive Commodore , the VXR , is only 60144 drive away and that includes V6 AWD, 9 speed auto , remote start and 20 inch wheels.

13. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

I'd say 8,000 worldwide in 2017. Then, 22,000 in 2018.

As great as the Stinger is, I still believe its awareness is mostly around car enthusiasts. Kia will still need a little more time to get the Stinger to be commonly known among the mainstream buyers. Also, Kia needs to get the distribution, dealers, service centers to get their acts together. So, I'd say that maybe 2019 would be the first real year for the Stinger in terms of sale - by that point, it may already come with a facelift and irons out some of the complaints of the first gen.

By the way, what's the prize?

14. Kia Stinger

I'm almost certain it's about $20 per day. I would get details confirmed before setting anything in stone as a reward...

15. admonite

I agree, if it all goes by pricing and features. I think the Kia's design may win over a few. Many will likely stick with the vehicle whose name is most familiar to them.

On enthusiast forums there is a great deal of turmoil in sentiment toward the new Commodore due to the fact that it is no longer made in Australia. How pervasive those sentiments are, will have some effect on the new Commodore regardless of value.

However, you are very likely correct that value will win out.

Also, even if there is a mass rejection of the new Commodore...it doesn't necessarily mean there will be increased adoption of the Stinger.

I'm sticking with my original guess, since it was indeed a guess....but now I can't wait to see the actual results.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Best guess, almost spot on, as it turned out. :p

17. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

My guess down here 2,100?

Draft saved Draft deleted