Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Anyone roof wrapped their own Stinger or watched the guy do it?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Thrashmetl, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Thrashmetl

Thrashmetl United States Member

I'm thinking about doing my own roof wrap, but there are a couple things I’m not sure about.

1. The bushing around the shark fin. How does it fit on there? Is it reusable or do I have to get another one?

2. The inner grooves on either side of the roof. There seems to be a small piece of weather stripping in these grooves. How do you wrap these? Does the vinyl wrap tuck in there nice and neat? I assume you don’t cut the wrap at this seem, the wrap goes all the way across the roof from rail to rail? I’ve tried to find videos on YouTube, but I haven’t been able to find any other cars with a roof like the Stinger.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. Thwack

Thwack United States Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thrashmetl

Thrashmetl United States Member

I saw that after I posted this. What did you end up doing about the rails? And the weather stripping?

4. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

I've thought about diy as against getting it professionally done. (Not to save $ but more for the satisfaction of diy). Having spoken to a few installers I'm of the opinion it would be easier to spray both shark fin and drain rails rather than wrap them. One installer wanted nearly 40% more $ just to wrap the fin as it's so time consuming (according to him). Two others suggested spray but each wanted to remove the fin to ensure wrap gave a good fit around it. Personally I'm reluctant to have anybody drop the headliner to remove the fin.

5. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Had mine done (partially) by a “professional” who sprayed the entire roof, fin and channels with Halo EFX. Turns out he didn’t know what he was doing so he peeled off his crappy job and did the main roof with vinyl. I did the hatch area. The good news is that his spraying attempt did work on the fin and the channels, although I had to spray the fin with clear coat to make it glossy since his spray turned out matte on the fin (but glossy in the channels). I didn’t want anyone pulling the interior apart just to get the fin off. (The first detailer I took the car to didn’t even want to touch the fin.) It all looks good. Just took a long time to get there. Only cost me $200 or so for what he did though.

6. Thwack

Thwack United States Member

I still mean to spray the rails with glossy plasti dip, they can't be wrapped, since they have a flexible wetherstrip at the edge. I honestly barely even notice them, which is why I haven't taken care of it yet

To those thinking of wrapping without removing the fin, i honestly cannot see how anyone could do it that way and get a decent finish. Dropping the headliner sucked, but it was not worth whatever extra hassle wrapping with the fin in place would cause.

7. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Here’s mine........

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted